Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 07-19-2017, 04:12 AM   #11
tomc

Default Re: Battlefields Kickstarter possible Stretch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
Do you think you'd be willing to share those files? I'll need to check with the boss, but we might be able to host those files for others to download.

D.
Sure. Just let me know.

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:52 PM   #12
Belle Sorciere

So there's more news about Battlefields in today's ogre news thing.

I just hope the kickstarter is sooner rather than later as I am concerned about having the funds to back it.
Belle Sorciere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 01:39 PM   #13
sparky00

TomC,

Thanks so much for the info. I am definitely going to try making some maps.

If your maps can be hosted here, that would be great. If not, I'll try my hand at OgreMap.

Thanks again. E

Last edited by sparky00; 07-30-2017 at 01:40 PM. Reason: spelling, or lack there of
sparky00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:26 PM   #14
sparky00

TomC,

One last question. I've made my first map w/ OgreMap 2 (fun!).

When you save the file with 65% opacity in Ogremap 2, does that setting carry over when printing from a graphics/photo editing app (Photoimpact), or is it necessary to make a similar setting in Photoimapct before printing?

Thanks, e
Old 08-01-2017, 05:23 AM   #15
tomc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky00 View Post
When you save the file with 65% opacity in Ogremap 2, does that setting carry over when printing from a graphics/photo editing app (Photoimpact), or is it necessary to make a similar setting in Photoimapct before printing?
We save the image at full saturation, so you'll need to set the printing opacity/ink usage in your image editor, or it can usually be adjusted in your printer settings when you print. Usually buried in the advanced settings somewhere.

It's also a really good idea to just print one page first, to make sure everything is as you like it, and to not waste printer ink. Full page, full color printing can really eat your ink.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:05 AM   #16
Misplaced Buckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc View Post
I saved the image from OgreMap2 at the DE scale, added the "OGREMAP 2.0" watermark in an image editor (PhotoImpact Pro ver 13), and printed it from that as a "poster" to my inkjet printer. NOTE: I saved the image at 65% saturation, so as not to get soggy paper when I finally printed it.

You can print straight from OgreMap, but sometimes it's not as efficient (i.e. has too much overlap or adds in blank pages.) Also, be sure to view the image in the scale you wish to print (Classic or DE) before you print.

In landscape orientation it came out 4 columns by 5 rows, though the last column only had 1 hex in it. I think it's a 96 DPI image, so it's not super crisp. OgreMap uses this lower resolution so as not to compete with anything officially published.

I used one of the trifold Foam Display Boards from Staples, like you see at science fairs, trimmed each map sheet, and stuck them to the board with glue stick. A strip of duct tape along the back keeps the board from folding. It's easier for me to store if it's flat and rigid. I can put it behind a book case or just against the wall. As a bonus, it can hang off the edge of a table without bending. Handy with DE scale boards.

I've also done DE scale maps for Iron Mountain, Dogpile, and Excercise K. An image editor lets you add starting locations and other notations.

I am pleased with how it turned out, but laminating something that big can be tricky. Inkjet ink isn't waterproof, but laminated it should last forever, for realistically small values of forever.
I've looked at the links provided. To get the image up to ODE size the image becomes greatly pixelated. Do you have a higher resolution one for the ODE?
Misplaced Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:21 AM   #17
Leonidas
Banned

Why don't use the command post blue acrylic counters as KS possible stretch?

Last edited by Leonidas; 08-01-2017 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Typos
Leonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:48 AM   #18
HeatDeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Why don't use the command post blue acrylic counters as KS possible stretch?
They're basically handmade on a laser cutter one at a time. In materials, equipment, and employee time I don't think they cost less than $100 a piece. Usable for special promotions and rare prize pieces, but not something ever intended for wide distribution.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:48 PM   #19
tomc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced Buckeye View Post
I've looked at the links provided. To get the image up to ODE size the image becomes greatly pixelated. Do you have a higher resolution one for the ODE?
Nope. I purposefully used 96 DPI so as not to compete with SJG's published products. It's a hobby for me, but it's how they make a living. SJG has been very gracious to allow me to use their IP this way, and I don't want to push the limits.

The maps look pretty good on their own, but the difference is obvious next to a published ODE map. The difference doesn't both me personally, but I'm mostly focused on just playing the game. Opinions, of course, vary.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:15 AM   #20
sparky00

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc View Post
Nope. I purposefully used 96 DPI so as not to compete with SJG's published products. It's a hobby for me, but it's how they make a living. SJG has been very gracious to allow me to use their IP this way, and I don't want to push the limits.

The maps look pretty good on their own, but the difference is obvious next to a published ODE map. The difference doesn't both me personally, but I'm mostly focused on just playing the game. Opinions, of course, vary.
I finally had a chance to print out my first map attempt using OgreMap. It came out very nice. I'm quite happy with it. Now off to the store for foam core & laminating film.

Thanks so much for making this tool available and answering my questions.

And not to worry. although I am quite happy with the Ogremap version, I'll be first in line to buy an official SJG Icepick map board, if they should choose to make one. The ODE / O6E boards are just gorgeous & I'll happily buy any made available.

Last edited by sparky00; 08-25-2017 at 06:53 AM. Reason: spelling, or lack there of