Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 04-08-2018, 08:20 PM   #1
ammulder

Default Classic Battle Report

Played a game of Classic at CafCon this evening. It was sort of unplanned, so we just cracked out a couple Killer Karts on the arena map included in the Classic box.

I ramped up to 80mph while the opponent slowed to 5 to pivot. He managed to plink me once at short range, but rolled a 1 for damage. After that the speed mods made me unhittable, though I never managed to roll well enough to hit him either.

When he tired of watching me circle around, he picked it up to 55, but pulled some questionable maneuvers to keep me in sight (HC -3 and on a collision course with a wall, necessitating further maneuvers next phase). I figured I'd take advantage of this, and made a questionable maneuver of my own to cut back and blast his forthcoming wreck.

Net result: we both lost control on the same phase. He rolled a 5 for two consecutive skids, which would send him head-first into the corner of a different wall. I rolled an 11 for a roll, which would take me directly into the end of a wall too.

I ended up rotating twice and striking the wall with my side while sitting on my roof, rolling 30+ damage, pancaking the vehicle. He wasn't able to maneuver to avoid the wall on account of the skids, but managed to decelerate such that he only took 6 damage -- crushing the front armor and damaging the MG, but leaving the driver to get out and wave to the crowd.

All in all, it reminded me why I always design with a spoiler and 'dam. :)
ammulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:13 AM   #2
jimmylogan

Default Re: Classic Battle Report

Nice! :-) Thanks for sharing!
jimmylogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:33 AM   #3
juris

New Amateur Night scenario with Killer Karts:

The accelerator is stuck - all vehicles accelerate by 10 mph each turn until the duel is over

Variant - points for navigating various obstacles - event can end without anyone dying (but this is unlikely)
juris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:59 AM   #4
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by juris View Post
New Amateur Night scenario with Killer Karts:

The accelerator is stuck - all vehicles accelerate by 10 mph each turn until the duel is over
My group occasionally did an Amateur Night event with Stingers where everyone started at their maximum speed. And this was with 8 players. And in the Crosshairs Arena from ADQ 9/3. So everyone was funneled to the center of the arena at very high speeds. Fun times. Also some of our quicker games.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 02:34 PM   #5
jimmylogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
My group occasionally did an Amateur Night event with Stingers where everyone started at their maximum speed. And this was with 8 players. And in the Crosshairs Arena from ADQ 9/3. So everyone was funneled to the center of the arena at very high speeds. Fun times. Also some of our quicker games.
I love this idea!
jimmylogan is offline   Reply With Quote