Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 05-30-2013, 11:30 PM   #41
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: [OCC]: Space Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
You mentioned Mafia before... Is there an organized crime group? Does it use Rank or have it's own savior faire specialization?

What do you think of an Obsession to establish the aforementioned "Human Trade Routes"?
I haven't put a criminal organization in the setting, though organized crime will always exist. Most importantly, The organizations aren't connected. Being a crime boss on Aqua only carries weight on new Terra if you can convince them you're legit, and then its your experience they respect, not the position.

Obsession (Establish Trade routes) is excellent goal. I mean disadvantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talosian View Post
Replaced with what? O_o
The creatures are named after Lichen: they are actually formed of four different species, each of which plays a different role:
  • Frame and muscles
  • Skin (photosynthetic)
  • Digestive, circulatory, and Respitory System
  • Brain and Immune System
Most experiments are efforts to swap one of these systems out of humans and replace them with native systems (which may or may not be engineered, no one knows).

Quote:
No trait-significant side effects/irreversible results of the stuff they do? (There's some cool stuff in Bio-Tech, just saying :P)
The most obvious one would be raising his voice a couple of octaves and expanding the range, as well as augmenting the hearing (disturbing voice + ultra-speech).

Other things they would change...He can keep the skin. Thats the part of the experiments they seem to be doing the best at. Its an odd effect though. He might also have a perk level resistance (+3) to many of their drugs.

Quote:
Gonna start reworking Ezra now. Unless I hear otherwise, I'm gonna assume his fingers were taken off to be replaced with tentacle-fingers, which were later replaced with bionic fingers.
That works, though tentacles are on odd choice for Lichaneans, who have strong endoskeletons. They'll experiment a LOT on one spot though. He could have had those fingers replaced many times, including tentacles.

EDIT: Principle guidelines on changes the Licheneans made: they were trying to make humans more like them, not supersmart or into combat machines.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 05-30-2013 at 11:34 PM.
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:54 PM   #42
Talosian

Quote:
EDIT: Principle guidelines on changes the Licheneans made: they were trying to make humans more like them, not supersmart or into combat machines.
That much I got!

Quote:
That works, though tentacles are on odd choice for Lichaneans, who have strong endoskeletons. They'll experiment a LOT on one spot though. He could have had those fingers replaced many times, including tentacles.
That works very well!

Quote:
The most obvious one would be raising his voice a couple of octaves and expanding the range, as well as augmenting the hearing (disturbing voice + ultra-speech).
I may go for this. How high are we talking, and what kind of range?

Quote:
He can keep the skin.
What would photosynthetic skin do? Reduced Consumption/Doesn't Eat or Drink (though drinking should still be required...) with Requires Sunlight -__% seems to be the most logical effect, though Breath-Holding/Doesn't Breathe with Requires Sunlight -__% would also be appropriate, as photosynthesis produces oxygen...

Quote:
He might also have a perk level resistance (+3) to many of their drugs.
May well go for that too!
Talosian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:20 AM   #43
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
I may go for this. How high are we talking, and what kind of range?
two octaves. It will be immediately apparent, but allow speech. I hadn't thought out the exact range in hertz: most usable sounds are available for you to hear.

Quote:
What would photosynthetic skin do? Reduced Consumption/Doesn't Eat or Drink (though drinking should still be required...) with Requires Sunlight -__% seems to be the most logical effect, though Breath-Holding/Doesn't Breathe with Requires Sunlight -__% would also be appropriate, as photosynthesis produces oxygen...
Actually, it depends on the exact skin.The photosynthetic aspect is next to nil, its just the most noticeable part. The most notable part is actually a DR effect (flexible DR 1) combined with temperature tolerance.

If you take both of those, he's an absolute mess who will turn heads any where he goes though.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 05-31-2013, 10:56 AM   #44
Talosian

Quote:
two octaves. It will be immediately apparent, but allow speech. I hadn't thought out the exact range in hertz: most usable sounds are available for you to hear.
Okay, people can correct me on this if I'm wrong, but as far as I can tell (from Wikipedia research), boosting a voice two octaves would make it a hell of a lot higher, but probably not high enough for Disturbing Voice, particularly if he started as a bass. Having an unusually high voice might count as a quirk, but that's it. Am I wrong on this, or is Disturbing Voice also representing other vocal distortion/damage?

Quote:
Actually, it depends on the exact skin.The photosynthetic aspect is next to nil, its just the most noticeable part. The most notable part is actually a DR effect (flexible DR 1) combined with temperature tolerance.
Ah, gotcha. How odd looking is the skin? If it's visibly wrong it probably qualifies as a point or two of Unnatural Features.

Quote:
If you take both of those, he's an absolute mess who will turn heads any where he goes though.
Yep. I'm pondering it. We'll see :P
Talosian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:34 AM   #45
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Okay, people can correct me on this if I'm wrong, but as far as I can tell (from Wikipedia research), boosting a voice two octaves would make it a hell of a lot higher, but probably not high enough for Disturbing Voice, particularly if he started as a bass. Having an unusually high voice might count as a quirk, but that's it. Am I wrong on this, or is Disturbing Voice also representing other vocal distortion/damage?
Its representing in part the effect of a man speaking so far above his range. It might just count as a distinctive feature, but it would drive me nuts to here. Think "chipmunk voices" (which are usually only one octave higher).

Quote:
Ah, gotcha. How odd looking is the skin? If it's visibly wrong it probably qualifies as a point or two of Unnatural Features.
Its green and somewhat leafy. so yeah.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:00 PM   #46
the_matrix_walker

Are robots in general use? I was thinking about a little buddy with the language translation programs and general useful robot servant stuff... Maybe even kinda R2 style (but speaks english, lol).
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:37 AM   #47
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Robots are called drones, they don't have very good AI and they're somewhat frowned upon, but have become necessary with humanity's massive population loss. Most have a very specific purpose: tractor drones, cleaning drones, driving drones, and so on. What do you want in such a drone? It will not do anything its not programmed for.

Translation programs are common on small computers (data pads). I would not expect them in a drone.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #48
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Robots are called drones, they don't have very good AI and they're somewhat frowned upon, but have become necessary with humanity's massive population loss. Most have a very specific purpose: tractor drones, cleaning drones, driving drones, and so on. What do you want in such a drone? It will not do anything its not programmed for.

Translation programs are common on small computers (data pads). I would not expect them in a drone.
Sounds like they are a little simple for my purposes. But I was thing it might be nice to have a rolling translator with some R2 style hacking tricks, Electronic lockpicks, secret cargo space, built in tool kit, ability to maintain my cybernetics, that sort of thing... And occasionally fill the tech void of not having neural interface.... shame they couldn't throw in a chip slot with my cybernetics!

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 06-01-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:58 AM   #49
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

For all players:

You all get a half-ton of Cargo space for trading off world. The captain has already put together large banks of embroyos and other technical information, so I expect to see physical items. For the first time you're just guessing what's going to be rarer over there than over here. Starting wealth is 100,000$ (TL10 *2). I expect a big chunk of it to be for trading: money from home drastically reduces value outside of the system, at least until trade routes are established. Don't fuss too much. Just specify one to four ways your wealth is stored (gold, pure silicon wafers, raw titanium, diamonds, automated carpet cleaners, High quality guns, a form of wood unique to the planet, antiques from earth, ect.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Sounds like they are a little simple for my purposes. But I was thing it might be nice to have:
  • Quote:
    a rolling translator
    Following you around is fine, and having it translate is fine. Both are tacky. Usually you use a datapad.
  • Quote:
    some R2 style hacking tricks
    It can have some REALLY simple ones. Ones any hacker will have on their datapad, and it can be programmed to take advantage of hardware access.
  • Quote:
    Electronic lockpicks
    Sure.
  • Quote:
    secret cargo space
    Just don't be surprised when people aren't surprised. You're carrying a tool box around, so its not that big a surprise when you pull a gun out of it.
  • Quote:
    built in tool kit
    Useful and valid.
  • Quote:
    ability to maintain my cybernetics
    Useful and valid.
  • Quote:
    that sort of thing...
    Tool box drone specialized to maintain your prosthetics with some illegal anti-security stuff attached. Thats fine.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #50
the_matrix_walker

Since I assume Long Rang Comms exist, but are not common, I think that will be my primary trade item (lets say, half my cargo space). If possible, I will just carry the rare-hard to construct components (if I'm lucky that means a chip or circuit board) that would allow most backward colonies to integrate them into existing systems or construct the easy to manufacture parts required for the working model (maybe I'll have my drone programmed to construct them!). Not only can I profit from the comms, but I can help establish long range contact and future trade.

I'll devote some space to other similar hard to manufacture components as is possible and profitable...

Do we pay the captain rent? Or does he find a crew use for (some of) us?

Tags
space merchant