Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-08-2018, 02:33 PM   #11
D10

Location: In Rio de Janeiro, where it was cyberpunk before it was cool.
Default Re: Fit and Very Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
I tend to discourage players from purchasing Very Fit, as they can get better results from +1 HT and Fit in my opinion.
Depends. If you are in a very hot or very cold place, it can save your life due to taking half exertion damage.

In my current high end DFesque group (circa 1100 pts), all PCs have very fit adv, even the dedicated casters. Its kinda funny in a way, we feel like superheroes.
D10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 04:25 PM   #12
smurf
Banned

I welcomed the advantage Very Fit. So many characters no longer need HT16. They can appear nigh mortal.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:13 PM   #13
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The big problem with Very Fit is that it doesn't do anything about effects that cost 1 fatigue.
That really is a shameful and specious nerfing of an otherwise sensible advantage.
Why would a certain level of fitness halve your fatigue for big exertions but do nothing for smaller ones? The ruling makes no sense; it's inappropriately gamist rather than simulationist.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:18 PM   #14
Flyndaran
Untagged

With a reasonable Ht, Very Fit allows superhuman exertions. So I'm not too upset about it slamming into the necessary granularity of the game.

I suppose the less realistic the setting and more available outright superhuman options, it looks less and less useful and balanced.
But that's a problem with this particular advantage, in my opinion.
Old 02-10-2018, 01:49 PM   #15
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
With a reasonable Ht, Very Fit allows superhuman exertions. So I'm not too upset about it slamming into the necessary granularity of the game.

I suppose the less realistic the setting and more available outright superhuman options, it looks less and less useful and balanced.
But that's a problem with this particular advantage, in my opinion.
That's more likely a factor baked into the game when a set of linear attributes was linked to a bell curve of probabilities.

For example you look at HT 16 and would say that it was 1.6x as large as HT 10 and for simple linear arrangements like how many FP you can lose it is and linear costs make sense.

Except if you look at HT rolls and for how often you fail HT rolls HT 16 only fails 1 in 54 where HT 10 fails 1 in 2. That's a ratio of 27 to 1. You might want an even more heavily weighted table of Attribute costs than was used in 3e.

Then if you figure things from both perspectives such as "Roll HT or lose 1 FP" you'll see that HT 16 enables some to go on 27 x 1.6 as long which is something like 43x as great.

Were I starting from scratch to make a simple and straightforward game I would try and pick just one way of working with Attributes and stick with it.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:12 PM   #16
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
That really is a shameful and specious nerfing of an otherwise sensible advantage.
Why would a certain level of fitness halve your fatigue for big exertions but do nothing for smaller ones? The ruling makes no sense; it's inappropriately gamist rather than simulationist.
How do you halve one FP, though? Are you going to go fractional just so that Very Fit works better?
Old 02-11-2018, 12:53 AM   #17
D10

Location: In Rio de Janeiro, where it was cyberpunk before it was cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The big problem with Very Fit is that it doesn't do anything about effects that cost 1 fatigue.
When I GM, I make it take double time/effort for these effects to take place. Unless its a situation where its impossible to mitigate.
D10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:50 AM   #18
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Strictly speaking, human limits of anaerobic exertion (e.g. creatin power supply duration) don't improve that much with training, so not improving FP costs of instant exertions is realistic (as much as the system can simulate those aspects of reality without becoming even more crunchy).
Old 02-11-2018, 05:59 AM   #19
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Strictly speaking, human limits of anaerobic exertion (e.g. creatin power supply duration) don't improve that much with training, so not improving FP costs of instant exertions is realistic (as much as the system can simulate those aspects of reality without becoming even more crunchy).
Wouldn't that depend on whether the FP loss is limiting how much you can do within the brief window, or determining how doing so takes out of your longer-term reserves?
Old 02-11-2018, 08:17 AM   #20
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
How do you halve one FP, though? Are you going to go fractional just so that Very Fit works better?
My house rule is that characters with Very Fit ignore every second point of FP cost. Only a little bit of testing, but nothing broken so far.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote