Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-31-2018, 07:08 AM   #1
mhd

Default Bamboopunk

Are there any useful resources for situations when the theoretical TL doesn't match the practical, i.e. you don't have the resources for higher technology, but the knowledge for it, with the result being more than the limit set by the "resource TL"?

This mostly means a mineral-poor environment and trying your best to "uplift" the TL with what basically amounts to stone age tools and building material.
Engineering, arms & armor, medicine & pharmacy etc.

I'm looking for anything that's at least slightly more believable than Swiss Family Robinson/Gilligan's Island/Flintstones. Pyramid articles, old or new books, tales of explorers, minor personal knowledge etc.

Riverworld 3E has this issue, but the treatment is a bit sparse.
mhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:13 AM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Bamboopunk

There's a bit of this in Vernor Vinge's SF novel A Fire Upon The Deep, but the uplifters are TL12+ and the upliftees TL3-ish, so there's more of a tech base than you seem to be after.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:17 AM   #3
AlexanderHowl

The problem is that the majority of our tools (and tools to build the tools) to use organics and silicates are created from metals, so you would have to replace the tools at every level. I am not saying that it would be impossible, just very, very difficult because you are not reinventing existing technology, you are creating a new technological architecture. That being said, you could probably make up to a TL4 society without metals without that much effort, it is everything TL5+ that becomes difficult (ceramic pipes without metal tools are quite feasible, ceramic boilers without metal tools are a different story).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:50 AM   #4
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Its worth noting that quite often your wreck will contain lots of handy things you can use or re-purpose. A small collection of tools, some superior building materials, sheet metal, and so forth.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:22 AM   #5
mhd

"What shape shall we give our Holy Lump of Metal this month? Plowshare, harpoon tip or bag o' nails?"

Note that I'm not too keen on uplifting TL in general, small feats of high tech ("Gorn gun") are on the menu, too, as that's what's a party of adventurers is likely to do...
Old 01-31-2018, 08:27 AM   #6
AlexanderHowl

I thought the OP was talking about a group that was stranded, not a group from a wrecked spaceship. With a wrecked SM+10 spaceship, a group could easily maintain a TL4 civilization (with higher TL equipment that cannot be replaced) without any effort (TL5+ requires millions of people to maintain). They could even use their tools to create the non-metallic technology of their descendants.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:03 AM   #7
temp

Not sure if it's what you are looking for but the first thought that came to mind was SM Stirling, The Peshawar Lancers ...
temp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:58 AM   #8
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by temp View Post
Not sure if it's what you are looking for but the first thought that came to mind was SM Stirling, The Peshawar Lancers ...
The Peshawar Lancers seems totally irrelevant? Island in the Sea of Time is a lot closer, though it's got a lot more carried-over equipment and access to resources than the 'bamboopunk' title suggests to me.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:49 PM   #9
mhd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
I thought the OP was talking about a group that was stranded, not a group from a wrecked spaceship.
My specific background involves the Supersized Hadron Collider, time folding in on itself and dinosaurs, which is a bit too specific.

I was thinking about bits and pieces of TL 7/8 knowledge and most of the time a pretty minimal amount of iron/bronze. No intrepid astronaut superscientists or hundreds of tons of space age wreckage...
Old 01-31-2018, 01:52 PM   #10
Stone Dog

Where does the punk part fit in here? Is there a "The Man" trying to keep new technology down?
Stone Dog is offline   Reply With Quote