Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-26-2018, 12:40 PM   #11
Anthony

Default Re: Damage of a high mass object falling at terminal velocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
Check your impactor density. It's off three orders of magnitude.
Haha. Oops, that does make a difference.

So, apparently that calculator doesn't understand seriously degenerate cases. I decided to simulate a 1 meter chunk of white dwarf matter (density 100 tons/cc = 1e+11 kg/m^3), and it failed to pass through the crust and into the mantle...

Last edited by Anthony; 01-26-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:49 PM   #12
Agemegos

Yeah. I got results that were obviously wrong when I asked it to calculate a low-speed impact with an object the size of the Moon. e.g. a permanent crater wider than the Earth and 1,600 km deep, but no ejecta landing at the antipode.

Last edited by Agemegos; 01-26-2018 at 06:13 PM.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 05:55 PM   #13
Agemegos

Let's look at the back of our envelopes.

"640 tons" probably means 640 short tons, because no-one uses Imperial tons any more. That's 1 280 000 pounds, which is 581 000 kg to three significant figures. "Metal" could be anything from potassium (862 kg/m³) to osmium (22 590 kg/m³), but let's take it easy and assume iron (7 874 kg/m³). Calculator: 73.7 m³.

Let's model a "rod" as a cylinder with length eight times its diameter, to make the maths easy.

V = πr² L
= πD²/4 × 8D
= 2πD³

D = ∛(V/2π) = 2.27 m.

The rod is going to have the cross-sectional area of, confront the air like, and receive the ram pressure of an object with a diameter of 2.27 m.

But the rod will have 12 times the volume of a spherical object that diameter, which is to say 12 times the mass at given density. We can represent that by giving it 12 times the density. So we model our 640-ton metal rod as an object with a diameter of 2.27 metres and a density of 94 488 kg/m³.

"Dropped" from orbit it will have low-Earth circular orbit velocity of about 7.9 km/s. Supposing that it is de-orbited using nothing more than a railgun with a muzzle velocity of 3 km/s, it will impact the atmosphere at an angle of arctan (3/7.9) = 21° or less, or with diminished velocity.

Impacting at 5°: the rod lands intact at 4.16 km/s and makes a crater 94 m wide and 20m deep in hard rock, having shattered the bedrock for another 9 m below that. Buildings will be knocked down by the air blast at 400m (quarter of a mile), but there will be no fireball nor significant seismic effects.

Impacting at 20°: the rod lands intact at 6.71 km/s and makes a crater 183 m wide and 39m deep in hard rock, having shattered the bedrock for another 18 m below that. Buildings will be knocked down by the air blast at 550m, but there will be no fireball nor significant seismic effects.

Last edited by Agemegos; 01-26-2018 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:07 PM   #14
Anthony

I would note that dropping things from orbit is one of those things that sounds cooler than it actually is; the destructive power is much lower than a comparably sized nuclear warhead, and because the impactor is mostly blind and deaf until it drops below around 3 km/s due to forming a plasma sheath, accuracy is terrible.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:12 PM   #15
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I would note that dropping things from orbit is one of those things that sounds cooler than it actually is; the destructive power is much lower than a comparably sized nuclear warhead, and because the impactor is mostly blind and deaf until it drops below around 3 km/s due to forming a plasma sheath, accuracy is terrible.
Also, if you want to hit a target in less than about 45 minutes or that is significantly closer that "the opposite side of the Earth", "drop" means "throw, very hard".
Old 01-26-2018, 06:48 PM   #16
Agemegos

Quote:
Let's look at the back of our envelopes.

"640 tons" probably means 640 short tons, because no-one uses Imperial tons any more. That's 1 280 000 pounds, which is 581 000 kg to three significant figures. "Metal" could be anything from potassium (862 kg/m³) to osmium (22 590 kg/m³), but let's take it easy and assume iron (7 874 kg/m³). Calculator: 73.7 m³.

Let's model a "rod" as a cylinder with length eight times its diameter, to make the maths easy.

V = πr² L
= πD²/4 × 8D
= 2πD³

D = ∛(V/2π) = 2.27 m.
The coefficient of drag for a long cylinder is C = 0.82, this cylinder has a frontal area of A = 4.05 m² and a mass of m = 581 000 kg. The density of air at surface temperature and pressure is about ρ = 1.2 kg/m³, and the acceleration due to gravity near Earth's surface is g = 9.81 m/s².

v(terminal) = √ {(2 m g)/(ρ A C)}
= 1 691 m/s

That is, the terminal velocity of such a rod near Earth's surface is about 1.69 km/s. But the velocity at which it hits the surface when "dropped" from orbit is about 4.16 – 6.71 km/sec. So when the rod is dropped from orbit hits the surface before it can slow to terminal velocity.

Last edited by Agemegos; 01-26-2018 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:45 PM   #17
Kfireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Well, this is kinda more or less a what if thing. I have a mage with a asinine amount of energy to work with who could get to and from orbit and I noticed just how much material I can create, shape, and turn to say iron with certain earth spells. Now of of course actually dropping said rod with even the slightest degree of accuracy would be a another story.
Kfireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 01:15 AM   #18
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfireblade View Post
Well, this is kinda more or less a what if thing. I have a mage with a asinine amount of energy to work with who could get to and from orbit and I noticed just how much material I can create, shape, and turn to say iron with certain earth spells. Now of of course actually dropping said rod with even the slightest degree of accuracy would be a another story.
Do you have a way to speed that material up to orbital velocity? Because if not you're dropping it from space, but not from orbit. That's a very different kettle of fish.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:12 AM   #19
Kfireblade

Quote:
Do you have a way to speed that material up to orbital velocity? Because if not you're dropping it from space, but not from orbit. That's a very different kettle of fish.
Not without doing a lot of other work. I straight up admit I don't know much about the physics involved, if you let an object fall from high orbit gravity would in fact pull it down and it would accelerate to terminal velocity right? I mean, things in orbit have to keep a certain speed to stay in orbit right? so if something was just created and had no velocity it would get pulled in by the planets gravity yes?
Kfireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 03:49 AM   #20
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfireblade View Post
Not without doing a lot of other work. I straight up admit I don't know much about the physics involved, if you let an object fall from high orbit gravity would in fact pull it down and it would accelerate to terminal velocity right?
'Orbit' is not an altitude. If you're actually in orbit, and you 'drop' something, it will just drift slowly away from you, and never hit the ground, because if you can fall and hit the ground, you aren't in orbit (by definition).

However, dropping something from the edge of space is possible; the object you describe will reach terminal velocity if dropped from more than about 80 miles up.