Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-25-2017, 10:59 PM   #1
Johnny1A.2

Default Maximum speed for riding a 'horse'...

Hypothetically, one could have a robot horse, and at high TLs it could potentially run much faster than a living horse. What I'm wondering is what the maximum speed of a horse, robotic or other, at full gallop, that a human could reasonably hope to ride and stay safely on, for more than a few moments. Which would be the bigger issue, the speed or the 'ride'?

(Assuming a normal, unaugmented human in good physical shape and a skilled rider, that is.)
Old 04-26-2017, 12:02 AM   #2
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Maximum speed for riding a 'horse'...

This depends entirely on the saddle and whether the robo-horse is designed for a rider at those speeds.

Theoretically? With the proper saddle and designed horse, almost any speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
Which would be the bigger issue, the speed or the 'ride'?
The ride, which is why I'm caveating it with "properly designed horse".

One designed for a smooth ride at all speeds makes it extremely easy to remain seated. At that point it becomes wind resistance that will pull a rider from the horse (or inertia if the horse can handle hard turns at high speeds).
With a smooth ride and well designed saddle (one more like a full backed seat) and a rider could stay on at some really high speeds.

Baring the two above? Not sure.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:04 AM   #3
Christopher R. Rice

i wrote an article in #3/95 Pyramid: Overland Adventures called "Low-Tech Transportation" that may be of some help. (Designer's notes here.)

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 02:32 AM   #4
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
One designed for a smooth ride at all speeds makes it extremely easy to remain seated. At that point it becomes wind resistance that will pull a rider from the horse (or inertia if the horse can handle hard turns at high speeds).
At this point, it becomes rather like a motorcycle. Eye protection is the first requirement as speed increases, followed by thoroughly windproof clothing, and then some kind of windshield.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:17 AM   #5
malloyd

Quote:
Hypothetically, one could have a robot horse, and at high TLs it could potentially run much faster than a living horse.
Are you sure? There are some mechanical limits based in leg geometry and gravity after all. I suppose in principle you can add a jet engine or something to add additional thrust over what you can apply to the ground through the legs and extend the length of each bound that way, but at some point you have something that is more aircraft than a horse.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:19 AM   #6
Anthony

Quote:
Hypothetically, one could have a robot horse, and at high TLs it could potentially run much faster than a living horse. What I'm wondering is what the maximum speed of a horse, robotic or other, at full gallop, that a human could reasonably hope to ride and stay safely on, for more than a few moments. Which would be the bigger issue, the speed or the 'ride'?
Assuming you're defining gallop in the technical way, the stride length depends on speed, so a super fast gallop will also involve extreme stride length and may not look a lot like what you think of as galloping.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:20 PM   #7
Purple Haze

Horses have gaits: walk, trot (some horses pace instead), canter, gallop. Standardbreds race at the trot or pace. A 50 mph trot might be quite ridable.
Purple Haze is offline   Reply With Quote