Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-14-2016, 12:09 PM   #1
Kalzazz

Default [RPM] Cooperative Crafting

Can a RPMist cast a crafting spell, but have it be under the control of (and use the skill of) their crafty friend?

Suppose Winona the Witch and Wendy the Weaver want a Really Awesome Basket

From Pyramid 66, The Old Ways, by CHRISTOPHER R. RICE we have a example spell, Bewitched Basketry, for turning a pile of basket making raw materials into a finished basket instantly, with a needed roll at IQ or Professional Skill (Weaver) +5

Wendy is an awesome weaver, and her Professional Skill (Weaver) is well higher than Winona's IQ (and Winona doesn't have Professional Skill (Weaver) at all), so the two of them together would like to turn their pile of raw material into an awesome basket based on Wendy's skill +5, but with Winona casting the spell (or maybe making a charm and giving it to Wendy)

There any way to do this? Would probably be a new different ritual. I was thinking of just adding a lesser sense mind for the spell to be in communication with the new spell director would get the job done, so Wendy could tell the spell how she wanted her basket
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 02:10 PM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: [RPM] Cooperative Crafting

You need to use a charm, give that charm to your friend, and then let them use it.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 03:19 PM   #3
starslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
You need to use a charm, give that charm to your friend, and then let them use it.
Could you do this as a hanging ritual on the target rather than a charm (IE was charm just short hand for 'conditional ritual under the targets control'), or is there some reason why only a charm works?

This is ultimately pretty interesting, as it allows greater synergy inside a party- doubly so in a game that features both gadgeteers AND casters.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 03:28 PM   #4
Kalzazz

In some ways would be nice if you could do it as a modified ritual with maybe Sense Mind or something so you could do it in the field instead of requiring a visit to the charm lab, but doing it as a charm would work fine for the purpose I was envisioning
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:04 PM   #5
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
Could you do this as a hanging ritual on the target rather than a charm (IE was charm just short hand for 'conditional ritual under the targets control'), or is there some reason why only a charm works?

This is ultimately pretty interesting, as it allows greater synergy inside a party- doubly so in a game that features both gadgeteers AND casters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
In some ways would be nice if you could do it as a modified ritual with maybe Sense Mind or something so you could do it in the field instead of requiring a visit to the charm lab, but doing it as a charm would work fine for the purpose I was envisioning
I'd probably keep it a charm because the person that breaks the charm essentially casts the spell. That seems right to me.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rpm