Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-27-2014, 02:26 AM   #1
z0boson

Default Encumbrance in low G

Hello,

The rules of the basic set (p 350) say that in low G environments you multiply the weight of your equipment with local gravity to determine encumbrance. While this might be a good approximation at close to 1 G, I have the impression it becomes problematic at very low Gs.

I currently run a campaign on Titan, which has 0.1 G, so an average character could walk around with 100 kg (200 lbs) without any penalty. However, the mass of the equipment stays the same, and I have problems visualizing how that guy is going to nimbly dodge while carrying that mass.

I was thinking that there should be maybe some cap to the weight reduction to simulate the effect of mass. Or the encumbrance reduction should only count for skills like hiking and not for skills like acrobatics or dodging.

Has anybody run into this problem or made a house rule for it?

Thank you!
z0boson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:01 AM   #2
Phantasm

Default Re: Encumbrance in low G

In this case, where a person can bench-press an automobile without too much effort due to low gravity, you're well within your rights as GM to rule that encumbrance due to weight is applicable to "long-distance" feats like hiking, while encumbrance due to mass is applicable to "immediate" feats like jumping and ducking in combat.

Another take would be to apply any positive SM of whatever is being carried as a penalty to the feat. For example, your guy may be able to carry that SM +3 half ton compact automobile on his back without killing his muscles, but he's still carrying an SM +3 compact automobile. That makes him a much larger object overall.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:23 AM   #3
z0boson

Default Re: Encumbrance in low G

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
In this case, where a person can bench-press an automobile without too much effort due to low gravity, you're well within your rights as GM to rule that encumbrance due to weight is applicable to "long-distance" feats like hiking, while encumbrance due to mass is applicable to "immediate" feats like jumping and ducking in combat.
Yes, maybe the best way to go is to separate between different types of encumbrance (mass and weight).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
Another take would be to apply any positive SM of whatever is being carried as a penalty to the feat. For example, your guy may be able to carry that SM +3 half ton compact automobile on his back without killing his muscles, but he's still carrying an SM +3 compact automobile. That makes him a much larger object overall.
In practice, that does not help much, since player encumbrance is mostly due to small objects like body armor and excessive weaponry... :)
z0boson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gravity, space