Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-08-2009, 11:42 AM   #1
Michael Lewis

Default [DF] Controling well armed and armored adventures in towns

I've always had a problem with adventures always wearing their armor and weapons everywhere they go, especially in towns/cities. How do other GM control their players when they are the only ones armed to to hilt when they are in a city or town? I've read in [I]The Grand Duchy of Karameilos[I] that they tie their weapons to their hilts. I'm trying to add a little more "realism" to my DF campaign.

Any suggestions?
Michael Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:55 AM   #2
Webb

Default Re: [DF] Controling well armed and armored adventures in towns

Legality classes and/or negative reaction rolls (a la Banestorm) ought to do the trick.
Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:57 AM   #3
trooper6

See reaction penalties for wearing armor on B286.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:57 AM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Lewis View Post
Any suggestions?
If they try to enter town armed and armored the local authorities show up and try to stop them. It's DF so you can have infinite guards ala Ultima, if they want to fight.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 12:02 PM   #5
Webb

Consider an additional reaction penalty if they wear it every waking moment... for the smell, at least when among civilized folk.
Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 12:03 PM   #6
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Lewis View Post
I've always had a problem with adventures always wearing their armor and weapons everywhere they go, especially in towns/cities. How do other GM control their players when they are the only ones armed to to hilt when they are in a city or town? I've read in [I]The Grand Duchy of Karameilos[I] that they tie their weapons to their hilts. I'm trying to add a little more "realism" to my DF campaign.

Any suggestions?
Actually, peace-bonding weapons is realistic, from the Middle Ages to modern Ren-Faires. It takes time to untie them, plus spotting an unbonded weapon alerts everyone else.

Of course there's always the classic method of controlling adventurers ... ^_^
Old 11-08-2009, 12:04 PM   #7
trooper6

Tying your weapon to your hilt is called "peace bonding."

When it comes to arms and armor control, it depends on the location.

So towns don't allow anyone to be armed in the town and make all visitors check their weapons with the town guard upon entering. Though city weapons like fencing weapons may be exempted.

Some lands don't allow anyone of low status to have swords or plate...so unless they were Status 1, no swords in town.

Some places don't have arms control laws on the books, but no one is going to be all that happy to see armed and armored people wandering about. For example, there are a few states that let people carry guns openly. It is legal...but people don't react well, and generally call the police on them anyway.

I use the reaction roll penalties from the Basic books, but I also look at each place and think about what is realistic in any given location. A rough, almost lawless town on the border between human lands and Orc lands will have different rules and reacitions than the capital city of a peaceful Kingdom. A port town where lots of mercenaries and crusaders are often in and out will be different again.

I tend to try and think about the world as a whole, then think about the specific location, then think about what sort of prohibitions might be there.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 12:10 PM   #8
Polydamas

For a DF style campaign, let the heroes know the local laws when they reach town. If they persist in wearing armour and wearing illegal weapons, I'd hit them with a series of groups of guards who want large bribes not to confiscate them. If they fight the guards, then they aren't going to be able to do whatever they came to town for.

In a pseudo-medieval setting, the laws probably depend on the wearer's Status.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 12:17 PM   #9
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
Some lands don't allow anyone of low status to have swords or plate...so unless they were Status 1, no swords in town.
Is Status even legal in GURPS DF?
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 12:47 PM   #10
Stone Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
Is Status even legal in GURPS DF?
Yes, it is. It just isn't assumed that players should be dealing with it. Like whether or not the Justiciar should have Legal Enforcement Powers.
Stone Dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, fantasy