Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-20-2008, 09:24 PM   #21
Rupert

Default Re: Classic Dragonlance characters GURPSified

Quote:
Originally Posted by khorboth
This is a subject of much debate. I've seen writeups both ways. I tend to go for the pure fighter angle to preserve the sovereignty of the tower. It's been a long time since I've read the novels, but I recall that the magic he uses is easily explained via items. The writeup in the Classics modules have him as multiclassed, but they also have him casting 3rd level spells while in armor and using a sword.
That was legal at one point, IIRC. Certainly the sword is.

See, the modules pre-date the formal description of the world, so aside from a slight modification of halflings to make them kender, everything is vanilla AD&D1 in them.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:30 PM   #22
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc
Finally, aren't Kender infamous for being completely Unfazeable? It's even cheaper than Fearlessness X10. :)
They famous for being fearless, not unfazeable - they're far too emotional in geral to count as Unfazeable. In some ways Indomitable is closer, but it'd need a limitation like "Only vs fear and Intimidation", which makes it a clear attempt at a cut-rate Fearlessness at infinite levels.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:41 PM   #23
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert
They famous for being fearless, not unfazeable - they're far too emotional in geral to count as Unfazeable.
Also, there's at least one demonstrated example of a kender feeling fear - Tasselhoff was unable to approach the Tower of Palanthas due to the magical fear effect the Grove emanated.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:22 PM   #24
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen
Also, there's at least one demonstrated example of a kender feeling fear - Tasselhoff was unable to approach the Tower of Palanthas due to the magical fear effect the Grove emanated.
Yes, but not fear for himself, but rather fear for those close to him.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:22 PM   #25
The Wrathchild

Location: A nice, warm rock with an excellent view of the Damned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin
Tanis Half-Elven
That was actually pretty close to what I got for him so far. Scary ;-). And I'd of course really like to see these even if I end up disagreeing on some points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective Restraint
I wouldn't bother aiming for a certain amount of points
No, I think that getting the feel right is more important, too. Even way back then the characters were of different levels ... but perhaps of the same experience? Not quite IIRC.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:34 AM   #26
pnewman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen
Right, but who says that the Towers magical fear wasn't Cosmic? Wasn't the fear the result of the death-curse of a powerful wizard? Maybe he asked his patron moon god to make the effect Cosmic as well as permanent. Kender should be Fearless.
pnewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:26 AM   #27
demonsbane

Cool thread ;) I like some of these translation efforts. BTW, I didn't know "Dragons of Mystery" DL5 sourcebook/module.

Seeing it in amazon, I'm of the opinion some Elmore paintings really added a very special feeling to the whole gaming books and to A/D&D line in general.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:05 AM   #28
Rasputin

Now for the brothers Majere. I'm not overly fond of the Quirk listing for them, in retrospect, but I'm keeping the ideas of nine years ago until someone comes up with better ones. I constructed Raistlin as a standard GURPS wizard, not with Modular Abilities; there are times in the books when he's struggling to cast a spell, and other times when it emphasizes the Curse of Magius. I also know the Staff of Magius is worth quite a bit more, in GURPS terms, than 5 points of Signature Gear, but Raistlin rarely uses it for more than Light and Feather Fall.

Caramon Majere
142 points
ST 16 [60]; DX 11 [20]; IQ 10 [0]; HT 13 [30].
Damage 1d+1/2d+2; BL 51 lb.; HP 16; Will 9 [-5]; Per 10 [0]; FP 13 [0].
Basic Speed 6.00 [0]; Basic Move 6 [0]; Dodge 10; Parry 10 (Broadsword); Block 10.
6' 3"; 210 lb. (SM 0).

Social Background
TL: 3.
CF: Abanasinian [0].
Languages: Camp Talk (Broken/None) [1]; Common (Native) [6]; Plainsman (Broken/None) [1].

Advantages
Appearance (Attractive) [4]; Combat Reflexes [15]; High Pain Threshold [10].
Perk: Deep Sleeper [1].

Disadvantages
Gluttony (12) [-5]; Gullibility (12) [-10]; Honesty (15) [-5]; Sense of Duty (Raistlin) [-2].
Quirks: Believes his great strength can solve anything; Believes that Raistlin needs him; Loves Tika, but he really doesn't know what to do about it; Thorough; Will not talk about Raistlin's Test [-5].

Skills
Area Knowledge (Solace)-10 (IQ+0) [1]; Broadsword-13 (DX+2) [8]; Knife-12 (DX+1) [2]; Riding (Equines)-11 (DX+0) [2]; Shield-12 (DX+1) [2]; Soldier/TL3-10 (IQ+0) [2]; Spear-12 (DX+1) [4]; Survival (Plains)-10 (Per+0) [2]; Swimming-12 (DX+1) [2]; Thrown Weapon (Knife)-11 [1].

Equipment
Mail shirt (DR 4/2* (/vs. cr) torso, groin); Wrought-Iron Plate Legs (DR 5 legs); Gauntlets (DR 4 hands); Boots (DR 2* feet); Wrought-Iron Bascinet (DR 3 skull); Medium Shield (DB 2); Thrusting Broadsword (2d+3 cut or 1d+3 imp; Reach 1; Parry 10); Dagger (melee 1d imp; Reach C; Parry 9; ranged 1d imp; Acc 0; Range 8/16; RoF 1; Shots T(1); Bulk -1); Small Backpack with two Blankets, Personal Basics, 30 meals Rations, Wineskin.

Light Encumbrance (-1; Move 4; Dodge 9).

Raistlin Majere
152 points
ST 9 [-10]; DX 11 [20]; IQ 14 [80]; HT 9 [-10].
Damage 1d-2/1d-1; BL 16 lb.; HP 9 [0]; Will 14 [0]; Per [0]; FP 9 [0].
Basic Speed 5.00 [0]; Basic Move 5 [0]; Dodge 8; Parry 11 (Quarterstaff).
5' 9"; 150 lb. (SM 0).

Social Background
TL: 3.
CF: Abanasinian [0].
Languages: Camp Talk (Broken/None) [1]; Common (Native) [0]; Hill Dwarf (Broken) [2]; Magius (Native) [6]; Plainsman (Broken/None) [1]; Qualinesti (Broken) [2].

Advantages
Charisma 1 [5]; Magery 3 [35]; Signature Gear (Staff of Magius) [5].

Disadvantages
Appearance (Unattractive) [-4]; Light Sleeper [-5]; Obsession (Become the greatest wizard ever) (12) [-10]; Odious Personal Habit (Sarcasm) [-5]; Social Stigma (Wizard) [-5]; Unnatural Features 2 (Hourglass eyes; Golden skin) [-2].
Quirks: Has compassion to the oppressed and downtrodden; Listens to learn about others' weaknesses; Loves Caramon, but feels he is stupid and smothers Raistlin; Speaks in a raspy voice; Will not talk about his Test [-5].

Skills
Area Knowledge (Solace)-14 (IQ+0) [1]; Herb Lore/TL3-12 (IQ-2) [2]; History (Krynn)-13 (IQ-1) [2]; Innate Attack (Beam)-12 (DX+1) [2]; Innate Attack (Projectile)-12 (DX+1) [2]; Knife-11 (DX+0) [1]; Sleight of Hand-10 (DX-1) [2]; Staff-11 (DX+0) [2]; Thaumatology-16* (IQ+2) [4]; Theology (Comparative)-13 (IQ-1) [2].
* Includes +3 for Magery.

Spells
Apportation-15 [1]; Beast-Soother-15 [1]; Blur-15 [1]; Borrow Language-15 [1]; Bravery-15 [1]; Colors-15 [1]; Continual Light-15 [1]; Create Fire-15 [1]; Darkness-15 [1]; Daze-15 [1]; Fear-15 [1]; Fireball-15 [1]; Flame Jet-15 [1]; Foolishness-15 [1]; Ignite Fire-15 [1]; Invisibility-15 [1]; Lend Language-15 [1]; Light-15 [1]; Loyalty-15 [1]; Mass Sleep-15 [1]; Master-15 [1]; Mind-Reading-15 [1]; Persuasion-15 [1]; See Invisible-15 [1]; Sense Emotion-15 [1]; Sense Foes-15 [1]; Shape Fire-15 [1]; Shape Light-15 [1]; Sleep-15 [1]; Sound-15 [1]; Spider Silk-15.
All spells include +3 for Magery.

Equipment
Boots (DR 2* feet); Wizard Robes; Staff of Magius (1d cr or 1d-1 cr; Reach 1, 2; Parry 11; Accurate (+1 to hit); Defending; Eternal; Glowing (can turn off); Mighty; Staff; 5 FP Powerstone inset; can cast Slow Fall at will); Dagger (melee 1d-3 imp; Reach C; Parry 7; ranged 1d-3 imp; Acc 0; Range 5/11; RoF 1; Shots T(1); Bulk -1); Purse with Personal Basics and Spell Components; Wineskin.

Light Encumbrance (-1; Move 4; Dodge 7).

My GURPS blog.

Last edited by Rasputin; 04-21-2008 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Added Soldier to Caramon and Sleight of Hand to Raistlin.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:40 AM   #29
Gorkamorka
Ceci n'est pas un hyperlien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin
Raistlin Majere

Skills
Area Knowledge (Solace)-14 (IQ+0) [1]; Herb Lore/TL3-12 (IQ-2) [2]; History (Krynn)-13 (IQ-1) [2]; Innate Attack (Beam)-12 (DX+1) [2]; Innate Attack (Projectile)-12 (DX+1) [2]; Knife-11 (DX+0) [1]; Staff-11 (DX+0) [2]; Thaumatology-16* (IQ+2) [4]; Theology (Comparative)-13 (IQ-1) [2].
* Includes +3 for Magery.
I would add a few more skills to Raistlin. These are based on my memories of the books. He should have:
- Intimidate
- Slight of hands / pick pocket or some such skill
- Fast Talk and or Acting
- Astrology or some star/moon gazing skill.
- and probably a few more that I can't remember.
Gorkamorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:44 AM   #30
Gold & Appel Inc

Didn't they work as professional mercenaries for years in the backstory? They should probably both have at least a point in Soldier and Tactics.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, fantasy