Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-19-2008, 10:33 PM   #11
khorboth

Default Re: Classic Dragonlance characters GURPSified

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemmingLord
I refuse to accept the terms Classic and Dragonlance go together.
I was using "Classic" as a title, not a label.
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 10:38 PM   #12
khorboth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert
As I recall Gilthanas was a fighter/magic-user, and thus should have a chunk of whatever passes for magic.
This is a subject of much debate. I've seen writeups both ways. I tend to go for the pure fighter angle to preserve the sovereignty of the tower. It's been a long time since I've read the novels, but I recall that the magic he uses is easily explained via items. The writeup in the Classics modules have him as multiclassed, but they also have him casting 3rd level spells while in armor and using a sword.

So... yah. Either way.
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 12:01 AM   #13
Collective_Restraint

The best ressource you could probably use to convert these characters would be using the DL5 Dragons of Mystery. You can obtain it at paizo. It really describes the characters history, personality and appearance.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:16 AM   #14
The Wrathchild

Location: A nice, warm rock with an excellent view of the Damned

My god! I had totally sweat that one - which I have. Thanks for the reminder, Col!

Great comments already, folks.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:51 PM   #15
Collective_Restraint

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wrathchild
My god! I had totally sweat that one - which I have. Thanks for the reminder, Col!

Great comments already, folks.
What I find funny though is that according to Raistlin's description is that they describe him as being sickly and having to catch his breath constantly. Adn then in DL5, they stat his Con at 10 which is for average people. I guess some of the stats listed there would need some fixing. If you could post them here, I'll gladly add in my comments as I already fully stated the draconians in GURPS terms on my website. These characters will look a lot better in GURPS !
Old 04-20-2008, 02:34 PM   #16
The Wrathchild

Location: A nice, warm rock with an excellent view of the Damned

I think so too - and I do plan to post something as it moves along.

Incidentally, how do people feel about staring points for the DLC party? My own gut is having a resonably fine time with the "standard" 150 points, but what do you think?

Well into the nuts and bolts of DL5 :-)

Last edited by The Wrathchild; 04-21-2008 at 02:50 AM.
The Wrathchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 04:27 PM   #17
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Incidentally, how do people feel about staring points for the DLC party? My own gut is having a resonably fine time with the "standard" 150 points, but what do you think?
These guys are going to need way more than 150 IMHO. Even though they fight a lot of professional soldiers, many of them with superhuman abilities, under a variety of adverse conditions, and they've got a magical healer with them, none of them ever seems to get cut with a sword. If the group is fleeing it usually involves massed troops or unknown numbers of troops. Riverwind and Sturm are IIRC both never defeated in the original trilogy by anything less than the undivided attention of an adult dragon. The Blue Crystal Staff could be Signature Gear if it wasn't a unique device of incalculable value in its setting. They take down Verminaard, supposedly the biggest human badass in the enemy force, with less than half of the team in the first book. If we're counting Kitiara, she has her own army and a dragon.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 04:45 PM   #18
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by khorboth
I'll give it a crack.
Looks awesome, thanks. :) On to the nitpicking:

Quote:
Gilthanas: Attractive, Charisma 1, Patron (Qualenesti), Rank, Sense of Duty (Qualenesti) [-10], Duty, Quirk intolerance: Non-elves, Combat Reflexes, and Terrain Adaptation: Forest.
Quirk Intolerance usually signifies that you dislike a very small group. I'd probably call what Gilthanas has Chauvinism. Also, how often do they really get help from the Qualenesti?

Quote:
Goldmoon: Attractive, Charisma 1, Low Self Image (Buys it off later), Quirk: naive, and lots of godly stuff (however you're running that)
I'd probably give her Destiny. She's more or less singled out as a prophet by the gods. The Sense of Duty should probably be mutual with Riverwind, if not the full-on cheeze of Higher Purpose: True Love for both.

Quote:
Tasslehoff: Impulsive, Curious, Overconfident, Delusion (they'd agree with me) [-10], Fearlessness 10, Quirk: bickers with Flint, Weapon Master: Hoopak, Signature gear (outfit, Hoopak, ribbon for topknot), Quirk: Topknot, Kleptomaniac, Luck, Combat Reflexes, Thieving Talent, and Social Stigma: Kender.
I'm not sure that I'd price that Delusion as more than a Quirk. It doesn't really matter how he rationalizes making bad decisions on his own, he's already Impulsive and Overconfident. Wearing a topknot isn't worth anything at all unless it gives a bonus to grapple his head or something, its only social effect is to further identify him as a Kender, which he already has a Stigma for. I'd probably give him Serendipity in addition to or instead of Luck, he gets a big share of the plot conveniences. Nobody with Weapon Master: Hoopak should be without Form Mastery for quick changes between Staff, Spear, and Staff Sling applications. Finally, aren't Kender infamous for being completely Unfazeable? It's even cheaper than Fearlessness X10. :)
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 07:47 PM   #19
Collective_Restraint

Quote:
I htink so too - and I do plan to post something as it moves along.

Well into the nuts and bolts of DL5 :-)
Actually, I wouldn't bother aiming for a certain amount of points. Simply build them as faithfull as possible to their description. Then simply tally up the points. They don't need to be all worth the same amount of points.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:53 PM   #20
Rasputin

I came up with a bunch of these under GURPS 3e almost a decade ago. I'll post 4e versions gradually. These are open to debate, naturally.

Tanis Half-Elven
180 points
ST 13 [30]; DX 13 [60]; IQ 11 [20]; HT 10 [10].
Damage 1d/2d-1; BL 34 lb.; HP 13 [0]; Will 12 [5]; Per 11 [0]; FP 11 [0].
Basic Speed 6.00 [0]; Basic Move 6 [0]; Dodge 10; Parry 11 (Broadsword).
6'; 180 lb. (SM 0).

Social Background
TL: 3.
CF: Abanasinian [1]; Qualinesti [0].
Languages: Common (Native) [6]; Goblin (Broken/None) [1]; Hill Dwarf (Broken/None) [1]; Plainsman (Broken/None) [1]; Qualinesti (Native) [0].

Advantages
Appearance (Attractive) [4]; Charisma 1 [5]; Combat Reflexes [15]; Common Sense [10]; Half-Elf [10].

Disadvantages
Honesty (15) [-5]; Sense of Duty (Companions) [-5].
Quirks: Dislikes killing; Fears growing too close to Kitiara because of her short lifespan; Insecure over his parentage; Loves both Kitiara and Laurana; Meticulous planner [-5].

Skills
Area Knowledge (Qualinesti)-11 (IQ+0) [1]; Area Knowledge (Solace)-11 (IQ+0) [1]; Armoury (Missile Weapons)/TL3-9 (IQ-2) [1]; Bow-14 (DX+1) [4]; Broadsword-14 (DX+1) [4]; Knife-13 (DX+0) [1]; Leadership-12* (IQ+1) [2]; Shield-13 (DX+0) [1]; Thrown Weapon (Knife)-13 (DX+0) [1]; Tracking-10 (Per-1) [1].
* Includes +1 for Charisma.

Equipment
Leather Armor (DR 3 torso, groin; Unyielding); Heavy Leather Sleeves (DR 3 arms; Unyielding); Heavy Leather Leggings (DR 3 legs; Unyielding); Leather Gloves (DR 3* hands; Unyielding); Boots (DR 3* feet; Unyielding); Thrusting Broadsword (2d cut or 1d+2 imp; Reach 1; Parry 11); Dagger (melee 1d-1 imp; Reach C; Parry 9; ranged 1d-1 imp; Acc 0; Range 6/13; RoF 1; Shots T(1); Bulk -1); Regular Bow (1d+1 imp; Acc 2; Range 195/260; RoF 1; Shots 1(2); Bulk -7); Hip quiver with 20 arrows; Small backpack with blanket, personal basics, 15 meals rations, wineskin.

Light encumbrance (-1; Move 4; Dodge 9).

Half-Elf
10 points
Advantages
Extended Lifespan 1 [2]; Magic Resistance 2 (Accessibility, Sleep and charm spells only, -25%; Improved, +150%) [9]; Night Vision 4 [4].
Disadvantages
Social Stigma (Half-Breed) [-5].

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, fantasy