Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-19-2008, 06:50 AM   #1
The Wrathchild

Location: A nice, warm rock with an excellent view of the Damned
Default Classic Dragonlance characters GURPSified

Hi all

Toying with running the classic Dragonlance adventures in some way or form, and I want to recreate the classic characters in the general form they had at the beginnig of the tale.

What are your opinions as to their specific traits? It's a long time since my reading of the books, and the minutae escape me at points.

It's mostly ads, disads, perks and quirks I after for Tanis, Flint, Raistlin, Caramon, Tika, Sturm, Laurana, Gilthanas, Goldmoon, Riverwind & Tasslehoff.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:27 AM   #2
khorboth

Default Re: Classic Dragonlance characters GURPSified

I've run the complete Dragonlance Chronicles campaign 4 times, and am now going through as a player. I've never used the cannon characters, and it's always been in DnD, but I'll give it a crack.

Tanis - Attractive, Charisma 1, Combat Reflexes, Sense of Duty (companions), Social Stigma (half-elf), Night Vision 1 or 2, and some talent associated with leadership.

Flint - OPH: Grumpy [-5], Dull, Extra FP and HP, Weapon Master: Axe, Quirk level horse allergy, High Pain Threshold, Combat Reflexes, and Quirk: Bickers with Tasselhoff.

Raistlin: Dependency [-10], Unnatural Feature, Overconfidence (develops into megalomania later), Quirk: icky-vision, Wizards Vows [-15], Unfazeable, Phantom Voices [-5], Ugly, and a set for however you want to do magic

Caramon: Sense of Duty (Brother), Weapon Master: Blades, High Pain Threshold, Combat Reflexes, Delusion: "My brother's good," Quirk level Clueless, and Ham-fisted.

Tika: Beautiful, Quirk: won't take pendant off, and Charisma 1.

Sturm: Handsome, Charisma 2, Weapon Master: (however you stat his sword), Weapon Bond, Signature Gear (armor, sword), Secret (not a knight), Code of Honor (knight's) [-15], High Pain Threshold, and Combat Reflexes.

Laurana: Beautiful, Charisma 3, Patron (Qualenesti), Rank, Sense of Duty (good people) [-15], Duty, and Pacifism (cannot harm innocent).

Gilthanas: Attractive, Charisma 1, Patron (Qualenesti), Rank, Sense of Duty (Qualenesti) [-10], Duty, Quirk intolerance: Non-elves, Combat Reflexes, and Terrain Adaptation: Forest.

Goldmoon: Attractive, Charisma 1, Low Self Image (Buys it off later), Quirk: naive, and lots of godly stuff (however you're running that)

Riverwind: Unattractive, Charisma 1, Loner, Intolerance (buys off later), Enemy [-10], Sense of Duty (Goldmoon), High Pain Threshold, and Combat Reflexes.

Tasslehoff: Impulsive, Curious, Overconfident, Delusion (they'd agree with me) [-10], Fearlessness 10, Quirk: bickers with Flint, Weapon Master: Hoopak, Signature gear (outfit, Hoopak, ribbon for topknot), Quirk: Topknot, Kleptomaniac, Luck, Combat Reflexes, Thieving Talent, and Social Stigma: Kender.

Well, I hope that's a good starting point. I've always stuck to DnD because Krynn is so system-centric. Dragons and Wizards are color-coded, and the Vancian magic is built right into the backstory. Not that it couldn't be GURPSified, but DnD does a fine job for over-the-top fantasy.
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 12:35 PM   #3
Peter Knutsen
Banned

It's been a long time since I read the Dragonlance Chronicles and Legends, but didn't Tanis have Infravision rather than Night Vision?
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 04:04 PM   #4
KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen
It's been a long time since I read the Dragonlance Chronicles and Legends, but didn't Tanis have Infravision rather than Night Vision?
Yeah, all demihumans had that in AD&D.

I think some traits are missing: Obsession (9?) for Raistlin, Guillibility (12?) for Caramon. And you forgot Kitiara, OMFG!
KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 04:57 PM   #5
GoodGame

Location: Video games destroyed my life. Good that I have 2 extra lives!

Raistilin almost certainly needs Destiny, if you take in consideration the whole canon.
GoodGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 05:21 PM   #6
KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodGame
Raistilin almost certainly needs Destiny, if you take in consideration the whole canon.
I don't think so. He actually forged his near-ascension to divinity, then forsaked it after watching Krinn's future should he had succeeded.
KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:25 PM   #7
khorboth

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads
Yeah, all demihumans had that in AD&D.
True. Most of my runs have been 3e, so I'd forgotten. Tanis, Tas, and Flint should all have it.
Quote:
I think some traits are missing: Obsession (9?) for Raistlin, Guillibility (12?) for Caramon.
I'll be surprised if that's all that's missing.

What's Raistlin obsessed with?

I don't see Caramon with full Gullibility. Maybe quirk level. The only one who could talk him into believing crazy stuff was his brother, and I figure that is covered by the delusion and sense of duty.
Quote:
And you forgot Kitiara, OMFG!
I think Kit was left out because we're talking about PCs. She's a major character, certainly, but no more playable than Fizban or Tode.
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 09:12 PM   #8
roninallen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by khorboth
What's Raistlin obsessed with?
POWER

just my 2 cents
roninallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 09:18 PM   #9
LemmingLord

I refuse to accept the terms Classic and Dragonlance go together.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:49 PM   #10
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by khorboth
Gilthanas: Attractive, Charisma 1, Patron (Qualenesti), Rank, Sense of Duty (Qualenesti) [-10], Duty, Quirk intolerance: Non-elves, Combat Reflexes, and Terrain Adaptation: Forest.
As I recall Gilthanas was a fighter/magic-user, and thus should have a chunk of whatever passes for magic.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, fantasy