Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-02-2013, 05:18 AM   #1
7omnia7

Default Cthulhu Mythos Book Magic

Hi guys.

I was wondering if there is anyone who created/converted CoC spells into GURPS Path/Book Magic Spells.
I noticed the "Book of Dead Names" in Thaumatology, but I was looking for things like "The Powder of Ibn Ghazi" and "The Binding of the Evil Sorcerers" rather than a generic "Zombie"...
7omnia7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:27 AM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Cthulhu Mythos Book Magic

Its pretty much made up as far as parameters and penaltis/energy go so you can eyeball it or post them here and others can eyeball it for you.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
Witigis

Hmmm,
years ago I played CoC with the GURPS 3e, and as far as I remember, I just decided NOT to convert them for the following reasons:
1) There are too many...
2) The spells in CoC were not so much common magic spells, but more or less plot, so did not necessarily need gaming stats (IMHO).
3) The necessary use of Power points in CoC could be transfered as they were without change (because of the usual 3-18 range) to the GURPS Magic system.

But then, I have not used 4e Thaumatology, so it might be different now...
BTW, what about the monsters?
Witigis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:28 PM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

What I did for Desolation Road was base the penalty (DR magic was effect-shaping) primarily on how close I felt the ritual was to the actual thesis of the book.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 09-03-2013 at 01:06 AM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:19 PM   #5
tantric
Banned

Although somewhat tangential, the Book of Ebon Bindings is the best and weirdest book of fully described rituals to do awful things I've ever encountered. Too bad it's so expensive.
tantric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:01 AM   #6
7omnia7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witigis View Post
Hmmm,
years ago I played CoC with the GURPS 3e, and as far as I remember, I just decided NOT to convert them for the following reasons:
1) There are too many...
2) The spells in CoC were not so much common magic spells, but more or less plot, so did not necessarily need gaming stats (IMHO).
3) The necessary use of Power points in CoC could be transfered as they were without change (because of the usual 3-18 range) to the GURPS Magic system.

But then, I have not used 4e Thaumatology, so it might be different now...
BTW, what about the monsters?

Yeah on the 3rd point I'm starting to feel antipathy towards point-based magic systems. That's why I'm really attracted to the "Effect Shaping" system in Thaumaturgy: it also seems more consistant with authentic magic books and traditions.
In fact I'm thinking about not limiting the books only to the Mythos but also throwing in marvels such as "De Occulta Philosophia", "Livre Rouge" (not Mao's book!!!) and the various Solomon's Keys, Grimoires...
I'd like to "keep it real" though: just genuine HPL and "real" occult stuff.

On the monsters, I'm not sure. I think I'll build them up from scrap (don't like the rpg stats).
Old 09-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #7
Witigis

IMHO Gurps fits very well to the realistic feel of CoC. It was a lot of fun to play within the setting (I used the traditional 1920s Arkham).
As far as I remember, my players had only knowledge of two or three spells, which were additionally tied to the plot and of not much use in general situations. Most of the time, their enemies were human (or at least looked so...), with the occasional byakhee or ghoul thrown in between, and I can΄t remember any difficulties in converting them (although I do not possess my notes on that campaign any more - they possibly fell victim to a spring cleaning or other sinister event).
Witigis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:37 PM   #8
Gollum

I often played GURPS Call of Cthulhu adventures and go on playing one (sadly, only by mail, because I cannot anymore play as often as when I was young). I never felt necessary to translate spells.

I fully do agree with Witigis reasons above.

Magic in Call of Cthulhu is not at all like D&D (or most other role playing games) one. It is neither coherent nor consistent. To the contrary, it is something which contradicts our logic so much that it makes us become insane... So, in my humble opinion, it just has to be described... And most often as something terrifying! All my players avoided it as much as possible.

When fatigue becomes important, to know how much a foe is able to use his magic spells during a fight, for instance (as in the final combat with Walter Corbitt, in the most famous introductory adventure), I just use the cost of the spell exactly as it is given in the scenario. It works fine.
In Call of Cthulhu, for example, Walter's Corbitt flying knife costs 1 Magic Point per 5% chance to hit the target (10 Magic Points for 50%). So, in my GURPS Call of Cthulhu games, it costs 1 Fatigue Point per point of skill to hit the target (10 Fatigue Points for a basic skill of 10).
Having said that, it is surely possible to use GURPS Thaumatology and GURPS Horror to design a very specific and terrific GURPS Call of Cthulhu magic system...

Last edited by Gollum; 09-03-2013 at 11:41 PM.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:00 AM   #9
Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7omnia7 View Post
On the monsters, I'm not sure. I think I'll build them up from scrap (don't like the rpg stats).
Here is a table I use to convert attributes and skills very quickly. Even if Call of Cthulhu uses about the same scale than GURPS (3 to 18 for attributes), ranges are quite different. NPC Call of Cthulhu characters tend to have high attributes (often above 12) and low skill (often below 50%)...

For attributes:

GURPS / Call of Cthulhu
3 / —
4 / —
5 / 1
6 / 2
7 / 3 or 4
8 / 5 or 6
9 / 7 or 8
10 / 9 to 11
11 / 12 or 13
12 / 14 or 15
13 / 16 or 17
14 / 18
15 / 19
16 / —
17 / —
18 / 20
Above / Level – 2

The rule is the following one: Call of Cthulhu stat x 5 and conversion with the GURPS skill probability of success table (Basic Set, page 171). I use the Quadratic Strength Conversion Table (GURPS Update, page 3) for Strength.

For skills:

GURPS / CALL OF CTHULHU
5 / 05%
7 / 10%
7 / 15%
8 / 20%
8 / 25%
9 / 30%
10 / 35%
10 / 40%
10 / 45%
11 / 50%
12 / 55%
12 / 60%
13 / 65%
14 / 70%
15 / 75%
18 / 80%
19 / 85%
21 / 90%
22 / 95%
23 / 99%

The rule is the following one: Call of Cthulhu skill x 1.25 and conversion with the GURPS skill probability of success table (Basic Set, page 171).

Last edited by Gollum; 09-04-2013 at 12:06 AM.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:12 AM   #10
7omnia7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
Magic in Call of Cthulhu is not at all like D&D (or most other role playing games) one. It is neither coherent nor consistent. To the contrary, it is something which contradicts our logic so much that it makes us become insane... So, in my humble opinion, it just has to be described... And most often as something terrifying! All my players avoided it as much as possible.
Well I meant "consistent" with Medieval Magiks, which aren't coherent at all!
D&D/Video Game type of magic is exactly what I want to avoid but since I'm working on a Delta Green setting, I will use Psionics (although limited and dangerous). I'm using a variant of "Taft-1" magic. And Psi Talent gives a bonus on Mythos Rituals but also a penalty on Mythos related Fright Checks (I read that the Awakening of Chtulhu back in the 1920's crippled all the Psions of PISCES).

BTW, thank you vary much for the tables!!!

Tags
path/book magic