Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-23-2012, 08:22 AM   #11
Hero of Canton

Default Re: Your experiences with Path/Book magic?

I currently run two GURPS 4e campaigns. One is a SteamPunk/Castle Falkenstein campaign set on Mars/Barsoom. The other is set in the world of George R.R.Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire. With both campaigns we use the 4e Book/Path system along with the 4e Threshold system. It works very well if you want a weak/hidden magic campaign.

Hero of Canton

Last edited by Hero of Canton; 12-23-2012 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Fixed typo.
Hero of Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:44 PM   #12
Mr_Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero of Canton View Post
I currently run two GURPS 4e campaigns. One is a SteamPunk/Castle Falkenstein campaign set on Mars/Barsoom. The other is set in the world of George R.R.Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire. With both campaigns we use the 4e Book/Path system along with the 4e Threshold system. It works very well if you want a weak/hidden magic campaign.

Hero of Canton
Do you mean that you had two different types of magic - path/book, and standard spells with threshold? Or you applied the threshold mechanic to path/book magic?

If the latter, I'd be interested in knowing how that worked. Did you use effect shaping or energy accumulation?
Mr_Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:34 PM   #13
Hero of Canton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Sandman View Post
Do you mean that you had two different types of magic - path/book, and standard spells with threshold? Or you applied the threshold mechanic to path/book magic? If the latter, I'd be interested in knowing how that worked. Did you use effect shaping or energy accumulation?
It has worked out quite well. I use it only for "Clerical Magic" in the ASOIAF setting - Power Investiture needed instead of Magery (see pg.133 in GURPS Thaumatology). In the Martian SteamPunk campaign I let the only Mage in the adventuring band, known as "The League of Extraordinary Gentry" use it was well - she is a classic "White Wiccan Witch" of the Willow Rosenberg type.

Thus far no PC has turned inside out and exploded from using too much magic...yet. Because the players know that it in theory can happen when abusing "The Threshold" they are pretty much self-limiting when it comes to the impact on how many spells they cast per day. We use a combination of Effect Shaping AND Energy Accumulating in both campaign.

Hope that helps.

Hero of Canton

Last edited by Hero of Canton; 12-27-2012 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Left something out.
Hero of Canton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
path/book magic