Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 07-21-2018, 09:00 AM   #1
ArchonShiva

Default Perception and Sense Rolls

The spell Alertness "adds to Sense Rolls". Is it meant to be like Grace but for Per?

1. Does it increase Perception Skills such as Observation?
2. Does it increase Per?
3. Does it increase Scrounging and Survival?
4. Does it increase Per-based Stealth for Surprise (DFE27)?

Same question regarding Keen (Sense). Should it be treated as Acute (Sense) or is it far narrower?
Old 07-21-2018, 09:37 AM   #2
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Perception and Sense Rolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonShiva View Post
The spell Alertness "adds to Sense Rolls". Is it meant to be like Grace but for Per?

1. Does it increase Perception Skills such as Observation?
2. Does it increase Per?
3. Does it increase Scrounging and Survival?
4. Does it increase Per-based Stealth for Surprise (DFE27)?

Same question regarding Keen (Sense). Should it be treated as Acute (Sense) or is it far narrower?
I think if it did those things, it would have said "increases Per for all purposes."

In this case, I think if the GM calls for a Vision, Hearing, Taste/Smell, or Touch roll, you get a bonus. Otherwise, probably not.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:10 PM   #3
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Perception and Sense Rolls

From Exploits pg 9:

Quote:
Sense rolls include Vision rolls, Hearing rolls, and rolls for special senses. All are success rolls against Perception. The Acute Senses advantage (Adventurers, pp. 46-47) gives a bonus equal to its level when using that sense; e.g., Acute Vision for a Vision roll. The GM often makes Sense rolls in secret (GM Rolls, p. 5). Success means you notice something; failure means you don’t.
This strongly supports what Doug said.

However... Exploits also says:

Quote:
When trying to spot something that’s deliberately hidden, this Vision roll is usually a Quick Contest against a concealment skill like Camouflage – but the rules often let you replace Perception with a detection skill, typically Observation or Search.
... and ...
Quote:
When trying to hear someone who’s attempting to move silently, roll a Quick Contest of Hearing against the sneak’s Stealth. You can replace Perception with the Observation skill. Ignore loudness (the Stealth roll covers that) and range (which varies).
To me this strongly suggests allowing Alertness and Keen (Sense) spells to just flat out add to Per for basically all rolls.

I'm pretty sure DFRPG floats skills, so for instance finding Traps is a Per based Traps roll. And I'd personally let Alertness and Keen (Senses) add to that.

Last edited by evileeyore; 07-21-2018 at 02:15 PM.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote