Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 09-13-2018, 10:34 PM   #451
Anaraxes

Default Re: The Fantasy Trip Live on Kickstarter Now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiros View Post
Nov 1st. See Phil's answer a page back (post #436)
Thanks. I'd started to wonder if "order locked" was a stage that somehow happened before the whole BackerKit phase "closes". There's four later stages, but those sound like the sort of thing that would happen quickly.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:38 AM   #452
Anaraxes

Email update #70 shows the Legacy Edition box next to the DFRPG box to help give you an idea of its size. Back when they announced the box size, I did my own comparison for visualization purposes on stuff I had in my basement, which might amuse grognards.

TFT wound up with a box that's 10.5" x 13.5" x 5". And they mentioned it weighs 11 pounds.

My copy of Avalon Hill's monster game for D-Day "The Longest Day" (battalion scale, 2 km hexes), is 11.5x14.5, but only 3 inches deep. And even with an inch and a half thick stack of 1970s style hard-mounted mapboards and thousands of counters, it only weighs 7.5 pounds. I had a mental image of an obscure game called "Blood Royale" as the widest/deepest box I had, but it's only 3.5". SPI's "War in the Pacific" comes in at 4.25", while the Milton Bradley boxes like "Axis and Allies" are only 4" tall.

Steve wins this round.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:43 AM   #453
Anaraxes

There was some interesting commentary back during the event from people that follow Kickstarters more closely than I have (this is about the only one I've paid much attention to). The current stats on the Backerkit page caught my eye:

Kickstarter: $314,572.11 / 3,379 backers
Backerkit: $125,893.83 / 3,047 backers

I wouldn't be too surprised if there were people saying they'd back a Kickstarter that back out. And there will be some not willing to risk money on a KS, but more than happy to jump in once it's a sure thing. So the promised/actual numbers would be expected to vary.

But the ratio jumped out at me. 90% of the pledges made it to Backerkit, but only 40% of the money? That difference makes me wonder about stats nerd stuff like:
- Are the high flyers just not actually committing in Backerkit, but the cheaper pledges are?
- What's the distribution of the various pledge levels, anyway?
- Are there just some bogus pledges, in the extreme case like one jerk saying he was in for $200K, who never intended to follow through?
- What's the typical KS ratio of pledges to actual collected revenue?
- Are there a lot on non-KS-pledgers in BK, making the numbers less correlated in the first place?

(Where's Nate Silver when I need him? Well, there's this, which while interesting, isn't really the sort of thing I was wondering about.)

Or am I just reading the numbers wrong, and it's more of an accounting thing, having to do with when you actually book revenue relative to taking orders, shipping products, sending transactions to Visa, actually getting a check back from Visa?
Old 09-24-2018, 07:46 AM   #454
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Or am I just reading the numbers wrong,
This. The BackerKit amount is *new* money, not part of the Kickstarter pledges. A big part of this is shipping charges, but we're getting a fair amount of preorders and add-ons as well.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:02 PM   #455
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
The BackerKit amount is *new* money, not part of the Kickstarter pledges.
Wow. I really don't know what else to say there.

Just to be clear, are the Backerkit backers also all new, exclusive of the KS numbers (so, >6000 gamers)? Or is that the total of KS pledgers that have responded in BK, plus the post-KS buyers?
Old 09-24-2018, 07:22 PM   #456
larsdangly

The BK group is a subset of the KS group - they are the people who donated to KS and then followed through by registering with BK. The new money is fresh money those people spent in BK, in addition to their KS commitment. (at least, that is how I think this works!).
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 01:43 AM   #457
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
The BK group is a subset of the KS group - they are the people who donated to KS and then followed through by registering with BK. The new money is fresh money those people spent in BK, in addition to their KS commitment. (at least, that is how I think this works!).
Using myself as an example: I started at the $110 "I want it All" level and got up to $175 during the KS itself. I'm now up to over $300 in Backerkit, but that includes about $70 postage.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:34 AM   #458
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
. . . but that includes about $70 postage.
Which is exactly why the new project goals are spread out quite a bit. A significant percentage of the money raised in BackerKit goes to shipping and not to the making of the game.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 05:40 AM   #459
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
A significant percentage of the money raised in BackerKit goes to shipping
Another good point that I hadn't considered -- no shipping in the KS pledges.

Thanks for helping me understand the differences in those numbers.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:57 AM   #460
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Another good point that I hadn't considered -- no shipping in the KS pledges.

Thanks for helping me understand the differences in those numbers.
Dividing -- make the game vs ship the game -- between Kickstarter and BackerKit makes it easier for us to manage the project. In our experience, collecting shipping in Kickstarter skews everything and is a risky approach.

And as shipping costs continue to climb, keeping a separation between the two is important.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote