Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-03-2016, 10:45 PM   #1
LemmingLord

Default Capabilities of Afflict: Flight

So i have an affliction: flight which i describe as a telekinetic push. Does it make sense to use it to glip switches and the like?
Old 12-03-2016, 11:39 PM   #2
VariousRen

Default Re: Capabilities of Afflict: Flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemmingLord View Post
So i have an affliction: flight which i describe as a telekinetic push. Does it make sense to use it to glip switches and the like?
No, the description you use doesn't change what the ability actually does. Flight would let the switch fly, but not flip it up or down as you wish. Could I ask why you are taking flight instead of just normal telekinesis? With high enough levels you can lift yourself and use it to fly.

You may consider taking some levels of telekinesis as an alternate ability to your affliction to let you push things around, flip switches, ect.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:23 AM   #3
Bilanthri

Affliction: Flight would give the target the ability to fly, but would not give you any control over their flight. Not sure how this is intended as a TK Push. Do you intend it to force a target to fly away from you? If so, you'd probably be better off with a Crushing Attack with No Wounding, Double Knockback, and No Signature.
Bilanthri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:05 AM   #4
CeeDub

On the other hand, I believe that Affliction: Warp gives the afflictor the choice of where the target warps to.

But I agree that flipping light switches and other fine manipulation tasks are way beyond the scope of such an advantage. I would go with regular Telekinesis, perhaps with Repulsion.
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:54 AM   #5
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeDub View Post
On the other hand, I believe that Affliction: Warp gives the afflictor the choice of where the target warps to.
The major difference is that one is a transient ability (Warp) and the other is a switchable ability (Flight).

Generally, I put Transient abilities under the control of the afflicter, they "pulse" only once when when the subject is affected, and any lingering effects associated with the trait (like being in an Alternate Form) expire when the duration of the Affliction expires.
No, Warping someone doesn't result in them "rubber-banding" back to their original location when your Affliction expires. That's just migraine inducing, and anyways Warp doesn't come with "cancellation conditions", and Alternate Form does, so Alternate Form has a funky hybrid status.

Generally, I put switchable and always on abilities under the control of the subject.

The specific case of Afflict Flight to make a power that duplicates Telekinesis and avoids the weight limits that are built into TK for very good reasons offends me on a deep, nerdy, rules-loving level. It's neither Accurate, nor Basic, and it's Cheap specifically because it's a rules crock :P
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:33 AM   #6
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
The major difference is that one is a transient ability (Warp) and the other is a switchable ability (Flight).

Generally, I put Transient abilities under the control of the afflicter, they "pulse" only once when when the subject is affected, and any lingering effects associated with the trait (like being in an Alternate Form) expire when the duration of the Affliction expires.
No, Warping someone doesn't result in them "rubber-banding" back to their original location when your Affliction expires. That's just migraine inducing, and anyways Warp doesn't come with "cancellation conditions", and Alternate Form does, so Alternate Form has a funky hybrid status.

Generally, I put switchable and always on abilities under the control of the subject.

The specific case of Afflict Flight to make a power that duplicates Telekinesis and avoids the weight limits that are built into TK for very good reasons offends me on a deep, nerdy, rules-loving level. It's neither Accurate, nor Basic, and it's Cheap specifically because it's a rules crock :P
I do a similar thing, but also allow Transient abilities to be handed over to the victim as an option. Warp can be an attack or you give someone Warp for a few minutes, determined when you buy the ability (and you can make the enhancement an alternative enhancement of itself). Side note, most 'warp attacks' I see have the feature that all Warp modifiers are put on the attack roll instead of there being two rolls (attack and warp).

Affliction: Flight could give you control over whether or not the victim has the advantage turned on while xe have it, but you don't move them. It you wanted something that 'fakes' TK, Link it to Mind Control or Possession w/ Telecontrol. It's actually very fun ;)
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 05:27 AM   #7
Donny Brook

The RAW of Afflictions says the Advantage afflicted in under the control of the Afflictor. I understood they have since added (not sure about the level of 'officialness') that Affliction can also put an Advantage under the control of the subject, but that which way it works must be set at the time the ability is first purchased.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 11:47 AM   #8
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemmingLord View Post
I'm gonna go with "no", unless you've got a power that allows you to improvise things. You haven't bought your ability with any ability to manipulate parts of things.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 12:06 PM   #9
LemmingLord

Essentially I think the price of telekinesis is too high for my campaign and rather than be smart and just reduce the price, i was trying to find an alternate RAW way to do it.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:20 PM   #10
Kelly Pedersen

Afflicting Flight is probably too cheap, as others have noted. What exactly about TK makes you think it's too expensive? I can actually see thinking that, as long as you're not buying it above your ST, it's basically similar to putting Ranged +40%, Increased Range (Half-Damage Only) X10 +15%, No Signature, +20%, and Reduced Range 1/10, -30% on Lifting and Striking ST, so it should be only 4 points per level. On the other hand, that's pretty close to 5, so I don't think it's that far off.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote