Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 09-10-2018, 04:10 PM   #1
SwordlordRoy

Default Miniature recommendations

I know that those of us planning on using miniatures probably already have a number of manufacturers we have either bought from or plan to buy from (Games Workshop, Wizards of the Coast, Reaper, Ironwind Metals, Wizkids, etc. I recommend giving this a read if you don't), but a thought has stumped me...where would one find a dragon posed suitably for a 7-hex (let alone the joys of a 14-hex) dragon? All the suitably sized dragons I can think of are either on their haunches or are stuck on round bases that they have to be put on (not to mention they are generally turning.

Any thoughts on this? All I can think of is buying up "D&D Attack Wing" dragons and modify bases for them.
SwordlordRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 04:42 PM   #2
Shostak

Default Re: Miniature recommendations

I remember a Ral Partha worm-type dragon from back in the early 80s--I've long since lost it. It was just about right for a 7-hexer. Not quite the same thing as a miniature, but here's a photo of a Cardboard Heroes 7-hex dragon http://alumnus.caltech.edu/~leif/FRP/DragonFight.jpg
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:41 PM   #3
malchidael

I don't know how well this link will come through, but here is a link to the Fantasy Trip Google Plus page, where I took a picture of a 7 and 14 hex dragon I put together.

For 1.5" hexes, I use a Reaper Bones Fire Dragon for the 7-hex dragon, and a Safari Limited Gold Dragon for the 14-hex. For a 4-hex dragon, I use a pre-painted D&D large dragon with an adapter for the base.

For 1" hexes, I use the Reaper Bones Young Fire Dragon for a 7-hex dragon and a dragon from the Safari Limited "Lair of the Dragons 1" collection for a 4-hex dragon.

I have also used the cardboard heroes dragons. There are some pictures either here (on the miniature size thread) or on the Google Plus page of those comparisons.
malchidael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:43 PM   #4
malchidael

Ah yes, here is a picture of my Cardboard Heroes Dragons, scaled for 1" and 1.5" hexes.
malchidael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:24 AM   #5
Terquem

I think it's time to break out some bricks and build some new dragons to conform to the 1.5 inch hex play mats
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote