Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-17-2017, 05:53 AM   #41
Gollum

Default Re: What GURPS needs...now (Pyramid articles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMason View Post
More "intro" adventures that can be run for folks new to GURPS.
I second that!

Short adventures which can be played in a couple of hours. With interesting pregenerated characters (i.e. not just the classical stereotypes but original ones, in order to show how GURPS can handle any kind of characters).

It would help us to say: "No, GURPS is not as complex as you say. Just let us try it now and you will see for yourself!" instead of searching for arguments which are ... only arguments.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:34 AM   #42
finn

I would like to see a short adventure in every issue of Pyramid.

It should have ready to use maps.

It should have pre-generated characters and/or designated templates that should be used from DF, MH, AtE, or whatever appropriate GURPS supplement.

I have Pyramid now because of the Kickstarter "I want it all" bundle, but would continue subscribing if I knew I would get an adventure every month. I might also buy relevant supplements if it was to run an adventure I find intriguing.
finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:46 AM   #43
GM Joe

I'd love for there to be an adventure in each Pyramid.

I'd subscribe to an alternate adventure-of-the-month publication if SJ Games wanted to do it that way instead.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:51 AM   #44
dbm

There are a couple of Patreons out there that deliver modules for various systems. Maybe this is something SJG could set up or sanction? I'd definitely subscribe.
dbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:15 AM   #45
Stormcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Joe View Post
I'd love for there to be an adventure in each Pyramid.
I get the feeling that if Pyramid received a terrific adventure submission each month, we'd get an adventure each month.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:19 PM   #46
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
I get the feeling that if Pyramid received a terrific adventure submission each month, we'd get an adventure each month.
Yeah, I get the same feeling.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:38 AM   #47
Gollum

Quote:
It could maybe be done by reducing the requirements.

If an adventure has to be terrific and generic, and this, and that, to be accepted, then, of course, there won't be a lot.

Casus Belli, the most popular french roleplaying game magazine, publishes out about 5 adventures in each issue (it's a bimonthly magazine). But to do so, the editor has to accept very different kinds of adventures: linear ones, sand box ones, very little ones, longer ones, little campaigns published over several issues, serious ones, funny ones, and so on.

Brief, to have a lot of propositions, you need to accept to glance at a lot of different things. If you begin by saying that you will only accept propositions that correspond to several restrictive criteria, you end up with almost no proposition.

I can write adventures, from time to time. Quite interesting and fun ones (at least, for my players). But I'm not sure to be able to write a terrific one. So, if Pyramid just accepts terrific adventures, I won't ever dare proposing one of mines. And I'm sure that a lot of GURPS GM think like that.

Last edited by Gollum; 08-18-2017 at 02:48 AM.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:01 AM   #48
Stormcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
I can write adventures, from time to time. Quite interesting and fun ones (at least, for my players). But I'm not sure to be able to write a terrific one. So, if Pyramid just accepts terrific adventures, I won't ever dare proposing one of mines. And I'm sure that a lot of GURPS GM think like that.
You want Pyramid to publish mediocre adventures? How does that improve GURPS? I'd rather see quality, not quantity.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:05 AM   #49
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
You want Pyramid to publish mediocre adventures? How does that improve GURPS? I'd rather see quality, not quantity.
Sometimes Quantity has a Quality all of its own.

And sometimes its better to have good enough rather than nothing.

I'm not saying we should accept crap. I also wonder if the requirements are more intimidating than they look. (yes, I've looked at them. I should not have started with a campaign idea though).

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:16 AM   #50
Gollum

Quote:
Not necessarily mediocre. But not necessarily only the best ones. There are a lot of possibilities between the two.