Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-15-2017, 09:02 PM   #31
Humabout

Default Re: What GURPS needs...now (Pyramid articles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Time, mostly. I seem to recall adding a second child to my roster about the time that we last had it going. :-)
I remember that addition! Time is always a killer for projects like this. It wasn't too long after expanding the Cole clan that you started your self-publishing venture, too, iirc. I'm hoping we can find people with time and will to help.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:04 PM   #32
Stone Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
This is a thing: http://www.sjgames.com/pyramid/dungeonfantasycollected/

It's vastly cheaper, actually. Pyramid: Dungeon Fantasy Collected is $15.99 and has 28 articles from 23 issues, so you save $168(!) over the individual issues.
To prove my point, I just bought it. I would have bought it at $25 too.
Stone Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 06:37 AM   #33
JMason

More "intro" adventures that can be run for folks new to GURPS.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:17 AM   #34
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMason View Post
More "intro" adventures that can be run for folks new to GURPS.
For which genres?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:34 AM   #35
A Ladder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
For which genres?
Fantasy, most likely DF since it has the largest support.
Then it's pick and choose from there: Sci-Fi (I believe I see requests for Space Opera more than anything else), Modern Action (due to the support in both Tactical Shooting, High Tech, and the Action! line), and possibly some sort of modern day + urban fantasy + monster hunters type. I would also suggest a timeline hopping Infinite Worlds game.
Quote:
Gotta be fast to escape the propaganda machine of Viking swiftness
A Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:49 AM   #36
A Ladder

As to Pyramid articles that help bring in new people....I don't think that's really the best approach (but I could be wrong). One, Pyramid is kind of hidden. I played in and ran multiple GURPS games before I knew about Pyramid. Two, it is behind a pay wall. New players are less likely to throw money at articles than books.

To get new players interested I would suggest doing free articles, based on Lite. Maybe only published Quarterly since it's free.

I could see the first one focusing on running a bog-standard fantasy game with Lite. (Since Fantasy is the gorilla in the room and with the advent of the DFRPG we can hope that those interested poke around on the 'net to see what it is about. If there's a free version they can see if they like the idea before jumping in feet first). The issue would include Advice to GMs on which rules to pull from and exclude, what traits and skills are appropriate for PCs to be built from, a possible character creation template for warrior, wizard, and thief types, a Magic Lite, and then taking those ideas and building a short adventure focusing on those elements. This would give new GMs the tools of how to make any adventure work in GURPS and help players focus their choices for character creation.

So, two issues at first: the Campaign setup and PC prep in one, adventure and opposition in another.
Then you can do that for other genres, Infinite Worlds, TL6 pulp action, TL 8 Cops v. Robbers, etc. So you have two genre helps come out every year till we exhaust Lite. Each genre would take existing rules from Lite and trim out the ones not needed, add some character templates, maybe throw in a short article that expands on something necessary (Magic for fantasy, Rapid Fire for guns, etc.) but only the bare bones, and some pre-made opponents.
Quote:
Gotta be fast to escape the propaganda machine of Viking swiftness
A Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:49 AM   #37
JMason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
For which genres?
Any!

The few times I've run one-shots for new gamers, I've used modern day horror/weirdness as the setting. This is my usual go-to. I've run a cut down version of Flight 13 a couple of times, and a scenario I created that's a basic "strange things on college campus".

But I've run one shots for fantasy, cyberpunk, space (which was also sort of horror), super-heroes, and others.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:39 PM   #38
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
It's also a shame Doug's old Pyramid Write Club fizzled out.
Actually, I founded PWC and I asked Doug to help me doing mentorship. I added more people later on. I might start it up again at some point. But that's not happening this year between my own writing, breaking into two new markets (fiction and another game system), the blog, and my patreon.

My biggest issue was that I just didn't have time. And when I did have time I'd say something like "Change this to fit X" and I would be either ignored or they'd claim "authorial fiat." I'm not going to donate my free time only to be ignored. That is folly.

Edit: I'll also add that I've been taking on the odd fellow here and there as a private tutor situation when I've had time.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!

Last edited by Christopher R. Rice; 08-16-2017 at 11:19 PM.
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:33 AM   #39
trechriron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Actually, I founded PWC and I asked Doug to help me doing mentorship. ...
Would you be OK with it starting up again, on a new website, with a nice secret secure back-end workflow, without your initial participation?

After we stand it up, maybe down the road you will have the time and desire to mentor again?

I would be ecstatic to have you as an admin, so you can see the progress, the technology, etc. and have some input into the initial design so when/if you have some time, the PWC will be something you feel comfortable jumping back into.
My Blog
trechriron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:24 AM   #40
Christopher R. Rice

DM me with details.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote