Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-21-2014, 07:53 PM   #11
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: Pyramid #3/70: Fourth Edition Festival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter V. Dell'Orto View Post
Oh, for sure. Those not conversant in ninjitsu are known to number it that way.
In typical ninja fashion, the real zeroth law is practically invisible. It's disguised as "score is kept."

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:13 AM   #12
Randyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
In typical ninja fashion, the real zeroth law is practically invisible. It's disguised as "score is kept."
Actually, they are one and the same law. When embodied by ninja, "score is kept" looks exactly like the Conservation of Ninjitsu.

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:20 AM   #13
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Killing ninja increases the overall Entropy of the universe.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:57 AM   #14
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

I wasn't planning on getting this issue, but it had Monster Hunter stuff in it. Having flipped through it, Bill Stoddard's article looked quite interesting too.

Last edited by Dragondog; 08-22-2014 at 10:18 AM.
Dragondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:42 AM   #15
Steven Marsh

Thank you for giving it a chance; hopefully there's something awesome for everyone.

Seriously, we pulled out all the stops to try to make this issue as cool as possible. The secrets, the collaboration, ideas streaming in from hidden corners like ninjas... so much blood.

So, SO much blood.

<ahem> Anyway, special thanks to all the incredible authors for rising to the challenge, to Kromm and PK for helping with ideas and logistics, and to all you amazing fans making the first 10 years possible!
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:00 PM   #16
Anders

What was the update today about?
Old 08-22-2014, 12:20 PM   #17
Steven Marsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
What was the update today about?
A last-minute gremlin changed a "2d" to "2", so we fixed it and applied some Gremlin Spray.
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:56 PM   #18
Dammann

I haven't finished this issue, but it is already seeming like one of the best.

Ten for Ten is a really great article. Very helpful to have all that stuff in one place, and I like the format of having optional rule mechanisms with a page reference, an explanation, and notes on how it affects a game to use the rule are fantastic.

This format could be used for a whole book that outlines how to set up a game, covering the question of how to choose optional rules. The subject gets some attention on the Expanded Campaign Planning Form in How to Be a GURPS GM, but a sort of "engineer's sound board" for campaign planning appeals to me a lot.

Lately, the GURPS releases like Template Toolkit and HtBaGG have addressed the workload that GURPS puts on the one running a game. This article is more of that kind of thing, even if it seems like a montage of ideas already published, at first glance. Awesome and helpful, Ten for Ten is both a good tool and an explanation of why some books might belong in a reader's collection.

Last edited by Dammann; 08-22-2014 at 03:34 PM.
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:37 AM   #19
Refplace

Just finished reading this. It was all good and I will be doing the Munchkin version of Horde Ninja at some point! The Random Thought table was cool, especially the mass market one. It was a duh! Why didnt I think of that moment for me.
But the one most useful and interesting to some of my stuff was a bit from PKs take on applying Chinese Elemental Powers to Monster Hunters.
I have been doing Extra Effort for Powers all wrong, especially godlike Extra Effort! I always used the same penalty to FP as the Will.
Suddenly Magic as Powers got a big boost in my settings.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:02 PM   #20
PTTG

I'm looking forward to adopting the Ham Clause. Disadvantages are a big part of how we design characters, and my players love working them into the adventures.

I'm a little suprised that simplified Gun skills didn't make the cut. Handguns, long-arms, and Launchers cover pretty much everything you can hold, and Gunner (mounted machine guns) takes care of the rest. I _like_ this idea, especially since it allows fast, simple character design AND elaborate perk upgrades to allow you to better use full-auto shotgun pistols, or laser rifles but not regular rifles.
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pyramid 3/70