Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 06-19-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Default Melee Innate Attack Annoyances

I am absolutely annoyed by the fact that when added the Melee limitation to an Innate Attack, it creates two modes. Yes. Not one, but two. It adds "attack" and "Primary". Primary is the annoying one. The one that always says "0d" for damage and just takes up space like people that ride city buses all day to just ride the city bus all day because they have nothing better to do.

Is there a way for me to deal with this? I don't care what I have to do. I will attempt it.
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
Bruno

Default Re: Melee Innate Attack Annoyances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
I am absolutely annoyed by the fact that when added the Melee limitation to an Innate Attack, it creates two modes. Yes. Not one, but two. It adds "attack" and "Primary". Primary is the annoying one. The one that always says "0d" for damage and just takes up space like people that ride city buses all day to just ride the city bus all day because they have nothing better to do.

Is there a way for me to deal with this? I don't care what I have to do. I will attempt it.
I thought there was a _Remove Attack Mode modifier, or one like it. When you find it, add it to the trait, and tell it to remove the mode "Primary".
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I thought there was a _Remove Attack Mode modifier, or one like it. When you find it, add it to the trait, and tell it to remove the mode "Primary".
Unfortunately, I see nothing like this. I'm going in through the advantage and looking at "All relevant categories". Actually, just now, I took the time to look through all of the categories. Nothing. The only thing that I could think of is to go into it as equipment or something... But I wouldn't know how to do something like that.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:58 PM   #4
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:

It doesn't add Primary, it just adds Attack. The problem is, if you're adding it to something that effectively has no damage modes to start with, then it adds a new mode anyway, leaving you with blank data for the original mode.

If you go through the Edit windows all the way to Advanced Edit, you can manually remove all the mode data for the mode you don't want. Yes, you could mess things up, but that's the only way to remove a mode at this point.

Each mode-enabled tag has data for the modes listed something like X|Y, where each mode is separated from the next by the | character. Since you don't want the first mode, remove all the data to the left side of those | characters, and the | itself, and you should be left with just the mode that you actually want. There will be a lot of these fields, but they shouldn't be hard to identify in Advanced Edit. You don't need to fix the charX tags, as those are calculated automatically, but they'll help you identify the non-char tags that need to be edited. (And after the edit, OK back to Simple Edit, then drill back to Advanced, and if any of those charX tags still have split data for modes, you know you missed a tag or two.)

I suggest you make a back-up of your character first.

Armin
Old 06-19-2012, 11:40 PM   #5
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
It doesn't add Primary, it just adds Attack. The problem is, if you're adding it to something that effectively has no damage modes to start with, then it adds a new mode anyway, leaving you with blank data for the original mode.
Not really the case here. Looks like I goofed up in the last update. The Melee modifiers do, indeed, add the mode Primary to Innate Attacks. This was fine before, because the default mode was set to Primary by GCA, so what wound up happening is that the added mode would merge with and overwrite some tags that were part of the Innate Attack's default/Primary mode (specifically, it overwrites the skillused() tag).

Unfortunately, with the last update I went through and added mode names to any trait that had mode/combat statistics. When I did this for Innate Attacks I called the mode "attack." So now the default mode name isn't "Primary" anymore, it's "attack" so the Melee Modifiers don't merge into the existing mode, they create a new mode which contains only a skillused() tag.

The fix for this does require manual editing. First add the Innate Attack to the character, then go to Edit -> Full Edit Window. In that window click the New Tag button; in the left pane type "mode" and in the right type "Primary" (without quotes). Click OK then New Tag again; this time in the left type "noresync" and in the right type "yes" (again, without quotes). OK your way out of it, then add the Melee modifiers to the character as desired.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:59 AM   #6
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Not really the case here. Looks like I goofed up in the last update. The Melee modifiers do, indeed, add the mode Primary to Innate Attacks. This was fine before, because the default mode was set to Primary by GCA, so what wound up happening is that the added mode would merge with and overwrite some tags that were part of the Innate Attack's default/Primary mode (specifically, it overwrites the skillused() tag).

Unfortunately, with the last update I went through and added mode names to any trait that had mode/combat statistics. When I did this for Innate Attacks I called the mode "attack." So now the default mode name isn't "Primary" anymore, it's "attack" so the Melee Modifiers don't merge into the existing mode, they create a new mode which contains only a skillused() tag.

The fix for this does require manual editing. First add the Innate Attack to the character, then go to Edit -> Full Edit Window. In that window click the New Tag button; in the left pane type "mode" and in the right type "Primary" (without quotes). Click OK then New Tag again; this time in the left type "noresync" and in the right type "yes" (again, without quotes). OK your way out of it, then add the Melee modifiers to the character as desired.
Thank you so much! That worked perfectly and my problem is gone! I'll have to remember this one.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:35 AM   #7
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Not really the case here.
Ah, sorry. My mistake. Should have checked a test case, rather than jumping to a conclusion. Thanks for the correction.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:12 AM   #8
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Thank you so much! That worked perfectly and my problem is gone! I'll have to remember this one.
This will be fixed next time we do a data update. It was just a case of me not realizing the cascade effects of the change I made.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attack mode, innate attack, limitations, melee, mode