Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-07-2014, 02:35 PM   #1
Doctor Thantos

Default Scorpion Claw Attack

I have a giant man-scorpion creature that I want his two pincher claw arms to attack, do damage and then grab and hold the creature attacked.

How do I do this? I want the creature to be able to struggle out of it (either escape or ST check) but otherwise, if he gets hit the pincher locks on him.

How do I do this?

Striking attack with a linked Binding?

Suggestions (or build's ) appreciated!

Thanks, DT.
Doctor Thantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:22 PM   #2
Yako

Default Re: Scorpion Claw Attack

Technically, I think pincers like those of a scorpion or crab are primarily there to hold, not to injure...
So I would say they are clumsy arms that are rather strong (arm strength) and good to grapple.

If you want to make them hurt your target, I would suggest either building something on the bases of Spines (they are defensive, applying especially well against people who grapple you, but it could be reversed to apply to people you grapple.) or using an attack with follow up that applies to people you grapple with your pincers.
This would damage after the initial hold and should also damage every time you do a grappling maneuver with the pincers.

I do not think there is really a precedent for either, but it seems like the most logical build to me.

Binding is for creating an immobilising effect that is NOT part of your body, I would not use it for any kind of grappling effect.
If you want especially easy grappling, constriction attack is your friend.
Yako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:23 PM   #3
the_matrix_walker

Normally I would say this would make more sense as a grapple followed by Constriction Attack [15]. But that's multiple actions, and not what it seems you are looking for.

Unifying the grapple attempt and claw strike to a single roll is a little trickier...

You could use the rules for Enhancing ST based damage and extend it to Binding. Find the point cost of the damage you would inflict and spend 20% more on a Link, then do the same for the effective point cost of a Bind equal to the character's ST (which will come out to ST x 0.4).

I might rather go the route of using the technique design system in MA. Aggressive Parry sets the precedent of adding a low damage attack to a parry for -1 to default. I don't think it's too far fetched to migrate that to a one handed grapple. Keeping the attack to Thr-2 without the extra '-2 or -1 per die' would be -4 to default, so total Wrestling -5. Take DWA: Wrestling to go with it to attack with both claws. then if you get one hit consider it a one handed grapple, and if you hit with both, call it a two handed grapple. I think that's pretty good (But not overly good as long as it's got some prerequisites) for [12]
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:56 PM   #4
Dustin

You could treat them as teeth per MA 115, perhaps with Born Biter...
Old 02-08-2014, 05:06 AM   #5
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
You could treat them as teeth per MA 115, perhaps with Born Biter...
Yeah, that was my first impulse. Why reinvent the wheel? Just buy each pincer as Extra Mouth (Can't Breathe -20%, Can't Eat -20%, Can't Speak -20%) [2] and you're good to go.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:19 AM   #6
Doctor Thantos

Thanks for the input!

I decided to try a crushing attack that was melee C,1 -20%, Dual +10%, Destructive Parry +10%, Linked +20% and ST based +100%)

I want him to be able to grab weapons and crush them with his claws as well.

So I added Binding linked +20%, Melee C,1 -20%, Destructive Parry +10%, Dual 10%.

Dual so he has a pincher in each hand. Binding has a strength level of its own not dependent on his ST so the hold could be stronger. By adding destructive parry to the binding, I think he should be able to grab the weapon with the binding.

Last edited by Doctor Thantos; 02-08-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Doctor Thantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:24 AM   #7
the_matrix_walker

Having reviewed MA p.115, I think that treating the claws as Extra Mouths is the best way to tackle this.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
grab and hold, melee, pincher attack, scorpion