Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 01-26-2018, 05:25 PM   #1
zuljita

Default Parry and Close combat

This isn't GURPS but I have mostly GURPS players... They are used to being able to use this from the FAQ
Quote:
3.4.3.6 How can I defend myself against someone stepping in close-combat with me?
On a turn when someone enters close combat and tries to attack or grapple you, you can defend normally as if you were not in Close Combat, with either a block, dodge, or parry. You can even retreat if you want. But once you're in close combat, you can only dodge, or parry with a reach C weapon.

Note that if someone successfully grapples you, you end up in the same hex as him/her, even if you retreated. This represents the fact that you tried to retreat, but your enemy was quick enough to stop you.
Does this ruling persist in DFRPG and I just couldn't find it?

Last edited by zuljita; 01-29-2018 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Linking to FAQ
zuljita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:23 PM   #2
Stripe

Default Re: Parry and Close combat

Not to hijack Zuljita's thread, because I also would like to know that, but is this FAQ item ever explicitly stated in the GURPS rules? Perhaps in Martial Arts?

Could I get a page reference if so?

I ask because I swear I've read it somewhere, but maybe it was just in the FAQ . . .
if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman

Last edited by Stripe; 01-26-2018 at 09:45 PM.
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 05:47 AM   #3
ArchonShiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
Could I get a page reference if so?
MA117 mentions it, but it’s phrased as though that’s an existing rule.

Zuljita’s question is obviously DFRPG, but you might want to make yours a new post in GURPS, and may get more satisfying answers there, as well.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:03 AM   #4
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonShiva View Post
MA117 mentions it, but it’s phrased as though that’s an existing rule.

Zuljita’s question is obviously DFRPG, but you might want to make yours a new post in GURPS, and may get more satisfying answers there, as well.
Just a reminder to try to keep non-DFRPG GURPS sources out of the DFRPG threads as much as possible. It can cause confusion for people about the DFRPG line.

Thank you.
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:07 PM   #5
Carrot

*I SMELL A RAT SPOILER ALERT*

I'm looking for this and a good play through of close combat in general actually. I GMed I Smell A Rat and realised that I played the spiders incorrectly in that they should have been in close combat and therefore made things very difficult for the greatsword wielding Holy Warrior who was holding the line for the most part.

In saying that, I feel like I'm missing something when it comes to a CC monster moving in on top of a PC without getting smashed on the way in. This might be a psychic imprint from THE OTHER GAME THAT SHALL NOT BE MENTIONED though...
Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 08:04 PM   #6
zuljita

As a player in ISAR I wasn't allowed to parry something on the way in to close combat either. Ruled it that way in a game the other day and got objections from players based on the above FAQ. If that was intentionally left out of DFRPG, (which I actually have no issue with) then more power to the GM of the game where I'm a player. If I missed it somewhere, I'd like to know.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:13 AM   #7
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuljita View Post
Does this ruling persist in DFRPG and I just couldn't find it?
No, it does not exist†.

Yes, this means monsters that use close combat weapons are a nightmare to some PCs.

It also means the first room of "I Smell A Rat" can quickly become a TPK.

† You 'stop' things from entering your hex with a Wait Maneuver triggered on "If something get's within Reach" and then Attack it. Also by Retreating when attacked so you can Parry and/or Block.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:45 AM   #8
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrot View Post
This might be a psychic imprint from THE OTHER GAME THAT SHALL NOT BE MENTIONED though...
You know that SJG doesn't give a fig if you mention Dungeons and Dragons, right?

More on topic, I think that's just training from D&D 3e+ - in DFRPG (and GURPS and a lot of other games) you don't get "free" attacks from the enemy moving near you. You also don't get a free attack when they walk around you (like you would in D&D 3e+) and when they make a ranged attack adjacent to you, and the various other situations where D&D gives out free attacks.

Attacks of Opportunity are a game mechanic designed to artificially enforce behavior on the game board for game design reasons.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:01 AM   #9
Carrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
† You 'stop' things from entering your hex with a Wait Maneuver triggered on "If something get's within Reach" and then Attack it. Also by Retreating when attacked so you can Parry and/or Block.
Yeah, so a web grappled PC with a greatsword is basically done for.

As far as "stopping" an opponent, I guess there's a few ways that works / could work?
  • Knockback.
  • The incoming attacker having to dodge on the way in. Does this stop movement? it make sense that it would, but I can't find a ref easily.
  • The incoming attacker being incapacitated on the way in.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:25 AM   #10
Carrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
You know that SJG doesn't give a fig if you mention Dungeons and Dragons, right?
Never mind SJG!!! You'll draw the attention of the Dark Ones.

Tags
charging foes, close combat, knockback, kromm explanation