Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-16-2017, 02:56 PM   #61
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: [Martial Arts] Getting the Wind Knocked Out of You

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Pyramid article! April is coming up fast . . .
Currently underwater at school. I do plan to finish my in-progress article over spring break, but it will be about something more publishable than hiccup rules, hopefully.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:28 AM   #62
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
There are people who get hiccups for years, and GURPS doesn't even have rules for the hiccups.
You really think difficulty breathing after suffering trauma to the rib cage is as exceedingly rare as year long hiccups? I don't think it's "struck by lightning while indoors" level rarity. But if you do, then okay.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:16 AM   #63
Icelander

This thread, back in 2009, was actually the impetus for my house rules of calling for Will rolls in addition to HT rolls upon any injury and suffering Mental Stun on a failure. The +5 bonus for 'heat of combat' means that most people do not fail it in real combat unless they suffer a painful and/or scary injury, but when normal people are struck while they are surprised or don't expect an argument to escalate to violence just yet, they will often display realistic human behaviour, hesitating, holding the injured area, coughing or retching, etc.

Most people will consider a 0 HP punch to the face, stomach or ribs pretty painful and may well back away and do nothing useful for a few seconds because of one. As for 1-4 HP wounds, they are often serious stuff that many people freak out over, even if they do not actually cause physical crippling or loss of consciousness.

The only flaw I've seen in play with my house rules is that they make the 10 point High Pain Threshold even more valuable. Doubly so as I use the Shock Penalty as a penalty to Knockdown and Stunning rolls as well as these Will rolls and any Fright Checks that result from being wounded.

The pricing is not a serious issue, however, as High Pain Threshold is still not taken all that often by players, who prefer avoiding all wounds if possible and thus prefer Combat Reflexes, which is still a better deal. At any rate, I usually have point budgets that are flexible and high enough to make concept more important than point optimisation.

Though I did recently make a 650 superhero PC who would have benefitted from High Pain Treshold and it would have fitted his concept, but I still didn't take it. Mostly, I'll grant, because there were 650 points worth of concept with a higher priority, including learning how to drive a motorcycle, play the guitar, sing both kinds of music*, recite every starter for the Crimson Tide back into the 70s and cook up a storm like momma used to.

*Country and Western.

Last edited by Icelander; 03-17-2017 at 04:39 AM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:40 AM   #64
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
You really think difficulty breathing after suffering trauma to the rib cage is as exceedingly rare as year long hiccups? I don't think it's "struck by lightning while indoors" level rarity. But if you do, then okay.
Having it for hours is pretty rare, especially when full of stress hormones in combat. It is as rare as hours of hiccups, which it essentially is.

Unless you broke or cracked a rib or something, and Martial Arts actually does have rules for this.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:44 AM   #65
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

I don't think Stun stacks like that.

Now using the rules in Tactical Shooting being mentally stunned does exclude the "heat of battle bonus" to Fright Checks, simulating the panic spiral.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:40 AM   #66
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Having it for hours is pretty rare, especially when full of stress hormones in combat. It is as rare as hours of hiccups, which it essentially is.

Unless you broke or cracked a rib or something, and Martial Arts actually does have rules for this.
I had hiccups for over 2 days once. Apparently it's more common among diabetics. Far more tiring and scary than you would think.

I don't remember any lingering soreness, let alone pain, after my fall.

Tags
kromm explanation, martial arts