Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-21-2011, 11:44 AM   #1
kdarc

Default GURPSifying the hydra

So I've written hydras as being a prominent monster in my fantasy campaign. But it just struck me... If the players were to encounter one, how should it function in game terms? I'm still new to statting monsters, and this one seems to be a bit of a challenge.

To be clear, these are non-sentient, about 13 foot long multi-headed hydras, heads numbering from about 5 to 10.

What are the advise of the forumites?

Thanks in advance!
kdarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:52 AM   #2
Phantasm

Default Re: GURPSifying the hydra

Certainly a high ST/HP, probably DR 3-4, depending on how thick its hide is, and probably Quadruped and some level of Claws.

That covers the mundane stuff. ;)

Extra Heads, Regrowth Linked to Regeneration (Fast or higher), possibly Strikers (Limbs) if the necks can be used to batter folks... and I seem to recall a modifier in Powers that lets you grow two items if one gets cut off - presumably intended for the Hydra in the first place. IDHMBWM, so I can't say for certain which modifier it is.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:08 PM   #3
Grouchy Chris

The hydra gets a description and statblock in Banestorm, pp. 222-223. The special regeneration ability is not priced, though, if that's what you're looking for.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:14 PM   #4
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
and I seem to recall a modifier in Powers that lets you grow two items if one gets cut off - presumably intended for the Hydra in the first place. IDHMBWM, so I can't say for certain which modifier it is.
Doubling on the advantage Regrowth.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:16 PM   #5
Nymdok

powers 71 for doubling when heads get cut off.

Now the clever bit is the planaria situation, if a head gets cut off, does it grow a new body? :)

As always, unless its going to be a potential PC or PC related creature (Ally etc) I dont know that Id really fool with statting it in full, but getting the mechanics down is always a good thing

Nymdok
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:36 PM   #6
Bruno

This is what I wrote up earlier for a Hydra; this one is an aquatic one that spits high pressure jets of water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Waterspout Hydra (5 heads)
Lesser Boss

This monster looks like a horrible scaly cross between a giant shark, a giant seal, and a nest of sea serpents.

Attributes
Code:
ST 25	HP 35	Speed 6
DX 10	Will 13	Move 1 (7 in water, enhanced water move 14)
IQ 6	Per 11
HT 12	FP 12	SM 2
Dodge 10*	Parry 10	DR 6
	* 13 vs head or neck attacks
Tail Slap (10): 2d+6 cr at reach C,1-5.

Waterspout (15): 4d+7 cr nw dbk, jet, range of 20 / 20, once per head per day.

Bite (12): 2d+3 imp at reach C, 1-5 and automatically grabs if it hits. This attack counts as a grapple, taking half penalties for hit location and reversing the usual penalty for relative SM to a bonus (as usual). Treat a one-head bite as a one-handed Grapple, although the Hydra may apply more heads to the situation as if they were hands (does not increase damage, does increase hit bonuses). See also Swallow.

Swallow: If a Delver with SM 0 or less does not break free from a biting Grab before the Hydra's next turn, the Hydra swallows the delver as an Attack action (no defense). The Delver is now considered pinned (pB370) and the Hydra's mouth is now available for a new bite.
Each turn thereafter the Hydra makes a ST vs. best of Delver's ST/HT attack as a free action, and deals crushing damage equal to the margin of success to the Delver (counts as a Large Area Injury). Swallowed Delvers who must breathe are subject to Drowning in stomach acid, and should probably hold their breath. Waterspout Hydra stomach acid is not strong enough to do significant damage over the course of combat, but there are rumours of Hydras with weaker bites and more reactive bile.
Escape from the Hydra's gullet can be achieved by Breaking Free
The Hydra can have swallowed at one time one SM 0 delver, two SM -1 delvers, 3 SM -2 delvers, and so on. GM's problem to figure out combinations.

Regeneration: The hydra focuses and unleashes enormous healing potential, its flesh knitting before the eyes of the Delver. It gains 10 seconds of Extreme Regeneration (requires 1 turn of concentration, 3 uses per day). During this time the hydra heals 35 HP/second and Regrowth is fully active.

Traits
360° Vision; Discriminatory Smell; Doesn't Breathe (Gills); Extra Attack 4; Extra Head 4; Ichthyoid; Nictitating Membrane 6; Night Vision 8; Regrowth; Wild Animal.

Skills
Brawling–12; Innate Attack (Breath)–15.

Class: Extremely Dire Animal (unclear what type originally!).

Notes: Maneater. Well, almost-everything-eater. Not able to negotiate, but highly subject to distraction with food. Considers dead/unconscious/pinned/helpless delvers to be food.

Commentary:
Does not grow two heads for each severed, does REGROW heads, see Regeneration power above.
Originally a Dragon, but along with applying lenses I've messed around with it.

Tough, stubborn, great Reach and can use the Waterspouts to try to isolate one delver for munching on, and it lives in an awkward environment (water) that it can reach out to grab delvers with, dishes out the physical damage and regenerates, and as a man-eating Dire Animal delvers take -10 to Animal Handling rolls, if a delver can figure out what specialty is needed!

If there's no Animal Control college penalty vs Dire Animals, this is one of it's distinct weaknesses - even if there is a penalty it's probably a useful tactic. It's also pretty stupid, and noncombative delvers can get by it just by throwing it food (lots of food - a few deer at a time!) and running/swimming past while it's distracted.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:20 PM   #7
kdarc

Thanks! These replies helped me a great deal (and made me re-check Powers, d'uh!) The creature is not meant as a PC of any kind, only as monsters, so it helped. I might rip a bit from your template, Bruno, with your permission ;)
kdarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:21 PM   #8
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarc View Post
I might rip a bit from your template, Bruno, with your permission ;)
Steal away, it's posted for others to use :)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:33 PM   #9
jacobmuller

With regard to multiple heads possibly allowing multiple attacks - you could easily allow the PCs a variation on Melee Etiquette, ie the hydra may only use one head per opponent, they get in each others way, unless using AoA-Double (Jason and the Argonauts, Columbia Pictures, 1963)
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:33 PM   #10
Anthony

It's also possible to not use extra attacks at all; you can just buy the hydra's heads as an innate attack with RoF equal to its number of heads (yes, you can't normally do that with melee attacks; buy it as a ranged attack with low range). This will significantly cut down on the die rolling, which may be nice.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote