Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-21-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
JackShadow

Default GURPS Basic Softcover

I didn't think I would, but after flipping through a softcover at my FLGS, I find myself wondering if the Basic set will ever be released that way?
JackShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
Lord Carnifex

Default Re: GURPS Basic Softcover

[Disclaimer]The following is baseless speculation pulled entirely from my fundament. It in no way reflects any official or unofficial policy, plan, or secret machination of anyone at Steve Jackson Games, Inc. Someone who can speak officially to this will be by later to refute me. Or not. Remain where you are, remain calm, and have a nice day.[/Disclaimer]

From the 2010 Annual Report to the Stakeholders
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 Stakeholders Report
Print On Demand

For more than a year, we have had a room sitting empty, waiting for a Print On Demand system, and a firm intention to do something about it. But we haven't. Maybe this year.
If SJ games does get a PoD installation set up, I would not be surprised to see copies of the GURPS Basic Set available that way, if and when the Basic Set goes out of print. Given the cost constraints of print on demand, I would imagine that anything produced through such means would likely be softcover. Should this come to pass, however, I would expect such Basic Set softcovers to be only available on demand from Warehouse 23 and not available from your FLGS. When such a thing might come to pass is, if ever, is difficult to say. As the Basic Set is an important flagship product, I imagine SJG would like to keep it in print, in a full cover hardback edition for as long as doing so makes any kind of financial sense. Such full color hardbacks seem to be the de facto industry standard these days, and what the majority of customers demand.

"To an Irishman, a serious matter is a joke, and a joke is a serious matter."
Lord Carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:03 PM   #3
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Carnifex View Post
[Disclaimer]The following is baseless speculation pulled entirely from my fundament. It in no way reflects any official or unofficial policy, plan, or secret machination of anyone at Steve Jackson Games, Inc. Someone who can speak officially to this will be by later to refute me. Or not. Remain where you are, remain calm, and have a nice day.[/Disclaimer]
I'm very curious whether this will be available (and priced such that they will take advantage of it) for game shops/distributors. It could really increase the amount of GURPS stuff on shelves.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:07 AM   #4
DanHoward

What is the difference betwen Print on Demand and taking a pdf to a local professional printer?
DanHoward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:34 AM   #5
Blind Mapmaker

Mainly getting a slightly better product and the title of the book on its spine (which is raher nifty, I think). Don't know whether it's worth not having full-text search, though.
Blind Mapmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:32 AM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
What is the difference betwen Print on Demand and taking a pdf to a local professional printer?
PoD is usually less expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Mapmaker View Post
Mainly getting a slightly better product and the title of the book on its spine (which is raher nifty, I think).
You'd get that from a pro print shop if you pay for it.
Quote:
Don't know whether it's worth not having full-text search, though.
You lose the search if you print it out regardless. OTOH you gain a more easily readable and shareable format. Both formats have their appeal, IMO. I'd prefer to own all my gaming books in both.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pdf, printing