Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 01-17-2019, 02:35 PM   #21
hcobb

Default Re: Do Skeletons decay?

It's a huge game balance issue.

Do you allow third year casters to quickly generate and maintain forever a huge army at little cost or not.

It's your choice.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:39 PM   #22
JLV

That goes back to GM control. If someone starts abusing the rules, and the players/GM involved feel that it's unfair or disruptive, you fix it so they can't.

I actually don't want the rules to this game to read like SPI's rules for Campaign for North Africa. Nor do I think that any game designer can possibly close every loophole that someone decides to exploit.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:43 PM   #23
warhorse11h

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
That goes back to GM control. If someone starts abusing the rules, and the players/GM involved feel that it's unfair or disruptive, you fix it so they can't.

I actually don't want the rules to this game to read like SPI's rules for Campaign for North Africa. Nor do I think that any game designer can possibly close every loophole that someone decides to exploit.
Thank you for that comment. So many times on this forum I think a lot of us forget that the GM is the ultimate authority in each campaign. If someone begins abusing any aspect of the game, it is his or her responsibility to address it. And they have a variety of tools to do so. Besides I may one day want to run a campaign about a renegade wizard raising an army of zombies to attack Dran.
warhorse11h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 05:03 PM   #24
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse11h View Post
Besides I may one day want to run a campaign about a renegade wizard raising an army of zombies to attack Dran.
I.e. the front picture on the GM screen?
Old 01-18-2019, 05:36 AM   #25
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse11h View Post
Thank you for that comment. So many times on this forum I think a lot of us forget that the GM is the ultimate authority in each campaign.
SECONDED!!!!

As a GM, I don't care about what the "rules" have to say. If I want a necromancer to control an army of undead, that necromancer is gonna have an army.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:24 AM   #26
Shadekeep

I too feel that the GM is the final arbiter as to what is allowed and what is not. As long as their judgments are applied consistently, the game world is fair to all.

Honestly, this admittedly picayune question wouldn't even matter to me if I weren't working on a supplement that includes zombies and skeletons. I don't wish to run afoul of the rules in that regard. But in all likelyhood I'll just leave it unspoken, as the ITL rules do, and relegate the decision to the GMs as well.
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:49 AM   #27
larsdangly

I hadn't really thought about this one much, but the 'game balance' argument catches my attention - though perhaps not in the way intended. I like the idea of a zombie or skeleton army (either with an NPC or PC at its head). It's easy to imagine how this happens in D+D but I can't see how you could manage it in TFT unless you permit more-or-less immortal skeletons
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:50 AM   #28
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I hadn't really thought about this one much, but the 'game balance' argument catches my attention - though perhaps not in the way intended. I like the idea of a zombie or skeleton army (either with an NPC or PC at its head). It's easy to imagine how this happens in D+D but I can't see how you could manage it in TFT unless you permit more-or-less immortal skeletons
The game allows for that via the Zombie ring. (Just remember to fix the Zombie ring typo on page 153. Or would that be a house rule?)

Each enchanter and three apprentices produces a zombie ring each month so with only ten enchanters the Dark Lord has an army of 1200 Skeletons of 100 ST each after the first decade that all get wiped out by the first petard.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:19 AM   #29
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Each enchanter and three apprentices produces a zombie ring each month so with only ten enchanters the Dark Lord has an army of 1200 Skeletons of 100 ST each after the first decade that all get wiped out by the first petard.
I'm really starting to dislike the 'insta-zombie' spell as written.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:48 AM   #30
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
The game allows for that via the Zombie ring. (Just remember to fix the Zombie ring typo on page 153. Or would that be a house rule?)

LOL well that's the thing. And then they looted all the zombie rings, and sold them at list price for $3.6 million silver.

There are many better things to do with your 1200 enchanter-team-months of work, and not many zombies (let alone skeletons) who are worth putting a zombie ring on, even if there was an army's worth of them for sale and you had the cash.

Except, maybe, if you go nuts exploiting the unspecified maximum ST of a zombie, and you find a corpse who had really high DX in life.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote