Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-18-2019, 09:24 PM   #1
Hide

Default Sending people to the "underworld" and have them wander eternally, until undone.

Hey there!

What do I need if I want to send other people to the underworld (i.e. limbo, sheol, hades, saṃsāra, etc.) without killing them, and have them not die from being there to bring them back later if required?

I appreciate your comments,
Old 01-18-2019, 09:34 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Sending people to the "underworld" and have them wander eternally, until undone.

The first part is easy. Affliction for Jumper, possibly at the +100% level. -50% for Projection if you send thier spirit but leave the body alone.
The next part where they cant die their might be Unkillable (I think level 2 is enough).
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:46 PM   #3
Hide

Default Re: Sending people to the "underworld" and have them wander eternally, until undone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
The first part is easy. Affliction for Jumper, possibly at the +100% level. -50% for Projection if you send thier spirit but leave the body alone.
The next part where they cant die their might be Unkillable (I think level 2 is enough).
Oh we are on the same line, that's what I was thinking about; perhaps the other component would be unaging. How could you "undo" it?
Old 01-18-2019, 09:53 PM   #4
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
Oh we are on the same line, that's what I was thinking about; perhaps the other component would be unaging. How could you "undo" it?
Add Cancellation, +10% if your doing the Projection method.
If your sending the body you have to add another incidence of Jumper (with a Trigger), I would look at doing it as a Side Effect to reduce the costs.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 01-18-2019, 10:16 PM   #5
Christopher R. Rice

I would use the rules for Petrifaction, Banishment, and Other Permanent Curses (GURPS Powers, p. 118) - it explicitly states "prison dimensions" in the text and is worth +300% as a modifier. Add Cancellation (+10%) if you can end it prematurely. That would be worth 41 points - add in Malediction 1 (+100%) and that's 51 points.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:29 PM   #6
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
I would use the rules for Petrifaction, Banishment, and Other Permanent Curses (GURPS Powers, p. 118) - it explicitly states "prison dimensions" in the text and is worth +300% as a modifier. Add Cancellation (+10%) if you can end it prematurely. That would be worth 41 points - add in Malediction 1 (+100%) and that's 51 points.
Yeah, as long as the prison dimension is not useful (like say sending Orpheous to Hades) that is a much cheaper and simpler way.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 01-18-2019, 10:33 PM   #7
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Yeah, as long as the prison dimension is not useful (like say sending Orpheous to Hades) that is a much cheaper and simpler way.
I personally would say if you sent a soul to hades you wouldn't need to worry about thirst or hunger - you're basically getting a spirit template gratis - you just have to stay where you are or do some epic stuff to get out. Basically, sweep it under the rug - the modifier sends you elsewhere and you don't get to come back unless the one doing the cursing says so.

Become a Patron!
Old 01-18-2019, 11:04 PM   #8
Hide

Oh that's very cool, thanks to the two of you; very useful indeed!
Old 01-19-2019, 11:12 AM   #9
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
I would use the rules for Petrifaction, Banishment, and Other Permanent Curses (GURPS Powers, p. 118) - it explicitly states "prison dimensions" in the text and is worth +300% as a modifier.
You mean "let the same +300% buy an effect that removes the target from play without killing" ?

The odd thing about that is, if afflicting an advantage, it would only give you 30 points worth. Stuff like Jumper having a base cost of 100 means you'd need to take -70% worth of limitations to fit in that niche. Which is what I'd do anyway :) Maxing limitations to -80% works out to +2% per point of base cost, double that of afflicting a Disadvantage, which is a little more level footing in attainability.

Of course, you can be immune to something like Heart Attack possibly with "Immunity to Metabolic Hazards" which wouldn't protect against Jumper/Warp afflictions, so there's that to take into account.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 04:22 PM   #10
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
You mean "let the same +300% buy an effect that removes the target from play without killing" ?

The odd thing about that is, if afflicting an advantage, it would only give you 30 points worth. Stuff like Jumper having a base cost of 100 means you'd need to take -70% worth of limitations to fit in that niche. Which is what I'd do anyway :) Maxing limitations to -80% works out to +2% per point of base cost, double that of afflicting a Disadvantage, which is a little more level footing in attainability.
Sure. You could do that - it's less elegant than a single modifier and a bit of GM fiat, but you could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Of course, you can be immune to something like Heart Attack possibly with "Immunity to Metabolic Hazards" which wouldn't protect against Jumper/Warp afflictions, so there's that to take into account.
If you define it as banishment Immunity to Metabolic Hazards isn't going to come into play - it's not a metabolic hazard.

Become a Patron!