Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 General Discussion

Old 07-10-2017, 07:09 PM   #1
seycyrus

Default List of Pyramid Issues

Is there a list of old Pyramid issues and the content of each issue? I sorta get that Pyramid is on Vol 3., right? What did volumes 1 and 2 cover?

Are these back issues sold in Warehouse 23?

Why are some of the issues of Volume 3 not available for purchase?

Last edited by seycyrus; 07-10-2017 at 07:20 PM.
seycyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:48 PM   #2
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: List of Pyramid Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by seycyrus View Post
Is there a list of old Pyramid issues and the content of each issue? I sorta get that Pyramid is on Vol 3., right? What did volumes 1 and 2 cover?
Pyramid was preceded by three different magazines during three different time periods and covering different subjects.

Space Gamer was a general interest sci-fi oriented roleplaying game magazine. SJGames bought the right to it starting with issue #27 in March/April 1980 and published it through issue #76 in September/October 1985, after which it ran for a while under a different publisher. You can buy individual issues or a bundle with all issues printed by SJGames.

Autoduel Quarterly (ADQ) covered all things Autoduel. It was printed from March 1983 through Winter 1991, with 40 issues in total. You can buy individual issues.

Roleplayer Magazine was a GURPS-centric print 'zine. The first issue was released in February 1986, and the 30th and final issue was released in January 1993. You can buy individual issues or a bundle of all 30 issues. The complete Roleplayer archive is also available online for free in HTML format.

Pyramid Vol. 1 (or just Pyramid Magazine) was a bi-monthly print magazine which ran from May/June 1993 through March/April 1998, with 30 issues in total. Pyramid was a general interest gaming and industry magazine which covered industry news, board and card games, as well as roleplaying games and, yes, GURPS. You can buy individual issues or the 30 issue bundle.

Pyramid Vol. 2 was a web-based e-'zine. 4-6 articles were published weekly starting on March 27, 1998 and the last article just over 10 years later on November 7, 2008, publishing just over 7000 articles, product reviews, and industry news pieces. It had many free sample articles which are still available today, however the bulk of it's content is no longer available (there were some vague plans to sell individual Pyramid Vault PDFs containing articles with a particular theme from the web-zine, but 9 years later there's no movement on this idea). Vol. 2 was heavily GURPS-centric but covered other games and industry news.
You can find an index of free articles here, here, or here. Some of the better articles from Pyramid Vol. 1 and early Pyramid Vol. 2 appear in The Best Of Pyramid Vol. 1 and The Best of Pyramid Vol. 2 (note, there is no correlation between where the articles came from and which Best of volume they were put into).

Journal of the Travellers Aid Society (JTAS) was another web-based 'zine which covered all things GURPS Traveller. It published fewer articles than Pyramid did, both being bi-weekly and starting a couple years later with the first issue being published on Feburary 1, 2000. The only content that is currently available is in the form of The Best of JTAS and a couple of sample issues still available through archive.org. Due to the licencing the ownership rights of JTAS's content fell back to Far Future Enterprises, the owner of the Traveller game's rights. A GURPS JTAS CD-ROM from FFE is in preparation, launching fist with the Grognard Kickstarter on USB drive, which a collection of Loren Wiseman's editorals. A previous iteration of JTAS was also a print magazine produced by the original publishers of Traveller, but other than covering Traveller material and sharing the same name it had no direct connection to the SJGames web-zine or GURPS Traveller.

d20 Weekly was a web-based 'zine covering d20. It ran as a standalone entity from July 3, 2002 through May 28, 2003.

Pyramid Vol. 3 is the current iteration of Pyramid Magazine. This iteration is back to its roots, being dedicated to GURPS with each monthly issue covering a particular theme picked from one of three broad genre's (Fantasy, Modern, and Sci-Fi). Individual issues can be purchased, as well as 3, 6, and 12 month subscriptions to future issues.

Quote:
Are these back issues sold in Warehouse 23?
Yes. I've linked to everything available above.

Quote:
Why are some of the issues of Volume 3 not available for purchase?
All issues of Pyramid Vol. 3 should be available through Warehouse 23.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 08-22-2017 at 04:32 PM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:02 PM   #3
seycyrus

Thank you for the quick synopsis!

Regarding vol. 3. Perhaps it is the way it is listed for me, but I do not see #3-29,30, 35,37 - 41, 42 ...
Old 07-10-2017, 08:05 PM   #4
ericbsmith

You can try searching for a specific issue in Warehouse 23. Or try this link for Vol. 3
Kaboom-baya.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:24 PM   #5
mook

Quote:
Is there a list of old Pyramid issues and the content of each issue?
In addition to the free preview which includes the Table of Contents for each issue on their store page, this thread lists all 104 issues of Volume 3 so far with their article titles.
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:07 PM   #6
seycyrus

Thanks again!
Old 07-15-2017, 08:55 PM   #7
thorr-kan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Pyramid was preceded three different magazines during three different time periods and covering different subjects.
Don't forget d20 Weekly! Which I miss.

48 issues, and of course I don't have dates.
thorr-kan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 09:14 PM   #8
Steven Marsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorr-kan View Post

48 issues, and of course I don't have dates.
d20 Weekly ran as a standalone entity from July 3, 2002 through May 28, 2003.
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:41 AM   #9
ericbsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorr-kan View Post
Edited my post to include a reference to d20 Weekly, as well as link to sample JTAS articles through archive.org.
Kaboom-baya.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:42 PM   #10
thorr-kan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Edited my post to include a reference to d20 Weekly, as well as link to sample JTAS articles through archive.org.
Thanks! And thanks to Mr. Marsh for the date range.

I only collected d20 Weekly and web Pyramid. I never know just how many periodicals SJG has been involved with!
thorr-kan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoduel quarterly, pyramid, roleplayer, space gamer