Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 03-07-2011, 01:57 PM   #1
Morfs

Default Munchkin Doubts HELP.=D

Hello, I'm here to clarify some doubts.
First of all I'm playing the classic munchkin.

1 - The wizzard class: Can i look for trouble and then use my skill to charm it (Discard my whole hand) and take his treasures? or i can only use this skill if i kick open the door and find the monster ...
If yes, there is nothing other players can-do to stop it?

2 - Gnome race: One of the skills of this race is:
"You get +1 for any non-one-shot item beginning with the letters G or N."
What Is That mean?
for each item that starts with G or N That he is carrying, he gets +1?
or in the field ? (As if somebody had an item that starts with N) Will i recive +1?

3 - Ranger class: his tame skill says that the power dominated the monster is the number of treasures that it carries, so the level does not affect him at all?

Well, I guess for now is this. Thanks for the help!
Morfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:17 PM   #2
bonetm

Default Re: Munchkin Doubts HELP.=D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morfs View Post
Hello, I'm here to clarify some doubts.
First of all I'm playing the classic munchkin.

1 - The wizzard class: Can i look for trouble and then use my skill to charm it (Discard my whole hand) and take his treasures? or i can only use this skill if i kick open the door and find the monster ...
The Charm ability doesn't specify, so you can play it on any combat that you are participating.

No, they can't stop you, but they have 2.6 seconds to throw another monster with the Wandering Monster card, or similar. They can also play cards that will remove all Treasure from the monster. There are possibly other things to do, but these are the most common, I guess...
MiB: #1602
bonetm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:21 PM   #3
snarky

1) Yes, but you have to sacrifice your whole hand (at least 3 cards) to do so. Unless the cards you have are completely useless, this doesn't usually add up to a good strategy (IMHO).

2) A gnome gets an additional bonus on any non-one-shot item that begins with the letter "G" or "N" that they have in use. Other players' cards or cards in play but not in use (sideways) don't count. I can't recall any specific cards right offhand as an example, but if you had a card called "Gun" that gave you +2, for a gnome that would be a +3 item.

3) As far as the monster becoming the ranger's steed, the bonus of the monster equals his # of treasures. Once tamed, the level of the monster is generally irrelevant.
snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:23 PM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Yes, this is a legal play. The other players can't stop you from charming the monster, but they can bring in more monsters or otherwise make your life difficult. And they will, if you do this too often.

Quote:
2 - Gnome race: One of the skills of this race is:
"You get +1 for any non-one-shot item beginning with the letters G or N."
What Is That mean?
for each item that starts with G or N That he is carrying, he gets +1?
or in the field ? (As if somebody had an item that starts with N) Will i recive +1?
Any such Item that you are currently using (not just carrying).

Quote:
3 - Ranger class: his tame skill says that the power dominated the monster is the number of treasures that it carries, so the level does not affect him at all?
Nope. The card means exactly what it says.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:31 PM   #5
thedag

Quote:
Just to add further to what others have said already if you played the monster card and straight away said I'm charming this I would turn around and attack you however if you gave me time to do something like play a mate card before charming or add enhancers then good luck to you. So while others can't stop you I reckon there is such a thing as playing in the spirit of the game. You should understand how your playing group will react if you do that.

Also check which rules you have. In the old rules the wizard does not need 3 or more cards to charm but in the new rules they do.
thedag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:00 AM   #6
Nerftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedag View Post
Just to add further to what others have said already if you played the monster card and straight away said I'm charming this I would turn around and attack you however if you gave me time to do something like play a mate card before charming or add enhancers then good luck to you. So while others can't stop you I reckon there is such a thing as playing in the spirit of the game.
Nope. I completely disagree. Looking for trouble and charming the monster just to get treasure is one of the best perks of being a Wizard. I would not consider that anywhere in the realm of bad sportsmanship. The same as charming a monster when you're the helper.

And I really don't see how it's any better to let people burn cards on a monster you know you're going to charm first. Seems like that would be the meaner thing to do.

That is most certainly in the spirit of the game.
Nerftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:03 AM   #7
uttwich

I agree. Taking advantage of your race/class abilities when you can is definitely the way to go when you can.

For example, I remember looking for trouble once against a high level monster, enhanced it with 2 or 3 enhancers, and then charmed it with my remaining 3 cards (useless) and then getting a bunch of treasures (way more than the 3 cards I gave up) as the reward. Nothing there that was bad sportsmanship. It's not unlike a Gnome looking for trouble and playing an illusion, or anyone looking for trouble and playing a spell that gives them an edge.

I think that the charm ability was probably added more as a defensive measure, i.e. to give the Wizard an out when he's in a combat that gets out of hand and he doesn't want to suffer the bad stuff, but there's nothing against using it as an offensive measure when you can. Actually, using it as an offensive measure would seem very munchkinly... (And, yes, if you take advantage of it too often I see no reason why your fellow munchkins couldn't try to make your gaming life more difficult, but my guess that they would only do that because they're jealous that they are not a Wizard themselves.)
uttwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:09 PM   #8
Morfs

Ok guys, thanks for the help...
But i have some more questions:

4-when someone with the wizzard class open a door and find a monster..
Then someone use a wandering monster, the wizzard can use his charm skill on any of the monsters or he can just use it on the monster he found in the room??

5-When the wizzard is helping someone he can charm the monster or he can just use his charm skill on monsters HE IS FIGHTING?

6-There are some curses that stays with you until you get a wishing ring..
If someone that is suffering from a curse die, he loose the curse?
Or it will stay with him?

Thanks again guys!!
Morfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:21 PM   #9
bonetm

Quote:
Ok guys, thanks for the help...
But i have some more questions:

4-when someone with the wizzard class open a door and find a monster..
Then someone use a wandering monster, the wizzard can use his charm skill on any of the monsters or he can just use it on the monster he found in the room??
He can choose what monster he wishes to charm. But the ability only get rid of one monster, he have to fight the remaining(s) monster(s). He would get Treasure only if he defeated all of the rest.

Quote:
5-When the wizzard is helping someone he can charm the monster or he can just use his charm skill on monsters HE IS FIGHTING?
He can only charm monsters he is fighting, but when helping, he IS fighting, so he can charm any monster in any combat he is participating.

Quote:
6-There are some curses that stays with you until you get a wishing ring..
If someone that is suffering from a curse die, he loose the curse?
Or it will stay with him?
The Curse will remain. This is covered on the FAQ:

Quote:
Q. What happens when you die? Do curses that persist go away?
A. There are a number of curses that persist, like Tiny Hands, Big Feet, Sex Change, Chicken On Your Head, and so on. Most of these curses can only be gotten rid of with a Wishing Ring or perhaps some luck. If a curse persists, its effects transcend death. Remember, your new character looks like the last one. So, if your sex was changed, you are still your new sex (but you very likely died because of combat, so that pesky -5 is gone), you still have Big Feet or Tiny Hands, and if you didn't have Headgear on when you died, that stinking Chicken is going to roost on the head of your new character. Sucks to be cursed, but, well, you knew that . . .
Thanks again guys!!
MiB: #1602
bonetm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:21 PM   #10
MunchkinMan

The Wizard card doesn't force you to pick which Monster you may charm based on some sense of timing or where the Monster came from. The card says, "You may discard your whole hand (minimum 3 cards) to charm a single Monster instead of fighting it," which in no way says that the Monster must come from some specific source. Nor do the rules provide any such requirement. In other words, as a Wizard, you can charm any one Monster you are currently facing in combat. And, what I just said there answers your second follow-up question: Yes, a Wizard who is helping may charm one Monster, since he is fighting the Monsters as a helper.

As for your final question: The FAQ already has an answer I can't perfect on, so I'll just quote it here:

Quote:
Q. What happens when you die? Do curses that persist go away?
A. There are a number of curses that persist, like Tiny Hands, Big Feet, Sex Change, Chicken On Your Head, and so on. Most of these curses can only be gotten rid of with a Wishing Ring or perhaps some luck. If a curse persists, its effects transcend death. Remember, your new character looks like the last one. So, if your sex was changed, you are still your new sex (but you very likely died because of combat, so that pesky -5 is gone), you still have Big Feet or Tiny Hands, and if you didn't have Headgear on when you died, that stinking Chicken is going to roost on the head of your new character. Sucks to be cursed, but, well, you knew that . . .
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote