Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 07-10-2015, 01:43 PM   #541
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: (IC) Lost In Dreams [Peter]

"It looks like we're going to do it some more. This will take a while. By my calculations we have 400 miles of rough terrain to cover."

They finish packing. They have some navigation instruments: a compass, a map, and good idea of where they are. The radio was lost with the car.

They have a good supply of medicine. They have their pistols, a decent amount of ammo, and Kumar has a riffle. Their water filters will probably give out before they make it -- boiling water will be important. Its fortunate Peter learned to light fires with flint and steel -- they have only one lighter. There is no way they can carry enough food for the journey. They will need to barter* or hunt it -- which will take time. Both have been trained to survive on the land, but this is unfamiliar territory: mexican rainforest.

*feel free to suggest items they may be able to barter. Clothing and modern containers come to mind. Medical supplies as well -- they might be able to get by with medical expertise alone actually.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:46 PM   #542
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
"It looks like we're going to do it some more. This will take a while. By my calculations we have 400 miles of rough terrain to cover."
"Wait, what!?!? Are you saying no one will come looking for us!?! And you just let them drive off with barely a word?"
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:07 PM   #543
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

"Luisa will do good work. Time is of the essense here. She'll go back to saving people's lives, and we'll spead the knowledge as we travel. Yes, It will be tough, but I got in this business to do rewarding things, not easy ones. And we tried talking."

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 07-14-2015, 10:24 AM   #544
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
"Luisa will do good work. Time is of the essense here. She'll go back to saving people's lives, and we'll spead the knowledge as we travel. Yes, It will be tough, but I got in this business to do rewarding things, not easy ones. And we tried talking."
"Luisa will do good work?" Peter questions... "When they find out she pulled a weapon on her commander and part of her team and then abandoned them, won't they send her to jail? Where I come from, she's committed allot of serious crimes."
Old 07-14-2015, 11:39 AM   #545
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Kumar: "It'd be illegal if we were in a civilized area, and if I weren't guilty of a crime. I think she's pretty safe. I hope We'll both just end up with slaps on the wrist or the whole thing burried. She just panicked. I read her wrong. Sorry about that."

"Look, there really isn't a law out here. Its completely hearsay. Miracle Workers has a decent amount of leeway in how we handle things. That's kind of the reason we're able to have you here. In many cases we can bend the law all over the place. But as soon as our peers think we're bending it for the wrong reasons, they react like Luisa."

"Besides, we aren't really stranded. Long distance overland journeys through wilderness is one of those that happens every so often."

OCC: usually, you only move worlds after you've solved the predicament you're in, until you have solid control over the jumping.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:07 PM   #546
the_matrix_walker

Spoiler:  

Peter helps pack their stuff, and follows along.
Old 07-16-2015, 02:45 PM   #547
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The day week went slow going. Kumar managed to get a nice gouge in his leg, and Peter is pretty sure they got ripped off when they tried to convert the goods they couldn't carry into money. It rained some of the days, turning the entire forest floor into a mudhole. After about a week, they started to get into the swing of things.

On the second night, Peter dreamed of Luisa coming into the base camp. The director of operations there was quite upset, but seemed more frusterated than anything else. He gave her a new assignment. Peter wasn't sure what she told him, or if he was planning to send people to find Kumar and Peter. his other dreams (about 1 night in 3) are of the invasion. The images were pretty bad: burning hovels, bloody battles, and the screams of women dragged from their homes. It's pretty disturbing*.

How much does Peter tell Kumar about his dreams?

Kumar insisted on visiting the villages they passed and distributing the instructions for innoculation. They introduced themselves as medicine men. Their foreign skin caused a decent amount of suspicion. Kumar suggested covering themselves with paint. Hunting was pretty slow -- or rather, it was typical hunting. They didn't want to risk running afoul of the local poisons, so they stuck to hunting and trading**. On day 11, and about 150 miles into the trip, they struck it big and bagged a jaguar. They got a good deal trading the pelt in a village and ate well as the rain poured down constantly.

Kumar came down with some sort of stomach bug during the rain, and they moved more slowly.

OCC: no, he doesn't know that, I'm just making sure you do. Its something of a genre convention.

* note, peter has a very high will. all fright checks were passed.
** gathering has a much higher familiarity penalty than hunting

Old 08-03-2015, 07:41 AM   #548
the_matrix_walker

Peter doesn't bother to tell Kumar about his dreams... They do not seem to contain any "useful" information, and there is nothing they can do anyway.

Under the hopelessness of their situation and the onslaught of these horrible dreams, Peter is becoming quite despondent.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:04 AM   #549
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Kumar is almost recovered from his stomach flu when they enter a village that's eerily empty. There are no fires burning, but the pits are still smouldering -- they were put out very recently. belongings have been left out. Then they hear a single, solitary cry from a child.

Old 08-08-2015, 12:33 PM   #550
the_matrix_walker

Peter walks forward and tries to track the sound... he speaks in a soft tone and says "we mean you no harm... we only want to help."

Tags
lost in dreams