Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-22-2021, 06:21 PM   #1
Prince Charon

Default [Ultra-Tech] Weapons and Equipment Branding

Basically, taking the generic weapons and other gear from GURPS Ultra-Tech and related books (or websites like Pizard's equipment page), and creating specific named variants, as GURPS Cyberworld did.

For example:

Banana Republic BR-25 Wasp Mini-Defender

When laser weapons enthusiasts discuss clothing retailer Banana Republic's failed attempt to break into the budget energy weapons market, the Wasp Mini-Defender is almost inevitably brought up. A smaller variant of the company's BR-30 Hornet Defense Pistol released at the same time, the Wasp was seen as even less reliable or accurate than even that weapon. The poor sales lead to further and further reductions in price, before production was discontinued and the remaining stocks were sold at auction (where they didn't do well, even in bulk). Since its introduction, it and the BR-30 have seen far more use in robberies than for self defense.

(Statwise, start with the TL10 Holdout Laser (Ultra-Tech p115), but reduce Acc to 0, Cost to around $150, and give it a Malf. number of 15 (individual weapons may vary, as quality control was also an issue; energy flow problems that reduce damage or armor divisor are also common); weapon quality is cheap. The Hornet is similar, being a cheap-quality (and cost) variant of the TL10 Laser Pistol on the same page.)

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.

Last edited by Prince Charon; 01-23-2021 at 05:24 PM.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 06:41 PM   #2
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: [Ultra-Tech] Weapons and Equipment Branding

Custom brands are often a great way to personalize a setting. Variations of +1/-2 Accuracy, +10%/-20% range, damage, and shots, +20%/-10% to weight and cost, etc. are well within the realm of realism (though I would balance each positive with a minimum of two negatives to keep one model from dominating the market). For example, the Xnor Industries Mk. 33 heavy laser pistol is well known for its accuracy and brutality, Acc 7 and 4d+4 (2) burn damage, but suffers a -20% to range and to shots and a +20% to cost and weight.

Last edited by AlexanderHowl; 01-22-2021 at 06:47 PM.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 07:09 AM   #3
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Gurb has a blog post about just this topic..

It's good stuff.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 07:46 AM   #4
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Basically, taking the generic weapons and other gear from GURPS Ultra-Tech and related books (or websites like Pizard's equipment page), and creating specific named variants, as GURPS Cyberworld did.

For example:

Banana Republic BR-25 Wasp Mini-Defender

When laser weapons enthusiasts discuss clothing retailer Banana Republic's failed attempt to break into the budget energy weapons market, the Wasp Mini-Defender is almost inevitably brought up. A smaller variant of the company's BR-30 Hornet Defense Pistol released at the same time, the Wasp was seen as even less reliable or accurate than even that weapon. The poor sales lead to further and further reductions in price, before production was discontinued and the remaining stocks were sold at auction (where they didn't do well, even in bulk). Since it's introduction, it and the BR-30 have seen far more use in robberies than for self defense.

(Statwise, start with the TL10 Holdout Laser (Ultra-Tech p115), but reduce Acc to 0, Cost to around $150, and give it a Malf. number of 15 (individual weapons may vary, as quality control was also an issue; energy flow problems that reduce damage or armor divisor are also common); weapon quality is cheap. The Hornet is similar, being a cheap-quality (and cost) variant of the TL10 Laser Pistol on the same page.)
This is what I wanted more rules for doing in the Tricked Out Weapons thread.
Old 01-23-2021, 05:32 PM   #5
Žorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

You could also use existing brands. There's no reason to suspect that arms companies that are around now all cease to be around. I mean, Beretta has been around since 1526 so what's another few decades or centuries there?

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Žorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 06:17 PM   #6
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Žorkell View Post
You could also use existing brands. There's no reason to suspect that arms companies that are around now all cease to be around. I mean, Beretta has been around since 1526 so what's another few decades or centuries there?
True. Likewise, it's plausible that a company that makes laser sights and such now might make laser weapons in thirty years or so, or that Axon Enterprise, Inc. might eventually start making electrolasers.

For Beretta specifically, they might stick with slugthrowers, or expand into the Gauss or energy weapons market. Hmm, Beretta Gyrocs, maybe?

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 06:48 PM   #7
RyanW

Quote:
To fit the Cyperpunk style, Beretta is most likely a wholly owned subsidiary of a megacorp.
Old 01-24-2021, 04:49 AM   #8
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
To fit the Cyperpunk style, Beretta is most likely a wholly owned subsidiary of a megacorp.
Or is proudly not and remains family owned, a point of distinction when companies such as H&K, Colt, etc. are just brands or whole owned subsidiaries of massive conglomerates.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 05:49 AM   #9
Phantasm

Quote:
I use Smith & Wesson, H&K, Kalishnakov, and Colt for lasers, sonic weapons, and blasters in my space opera setting. Mind, my Smith & Wesson have branded their blaster line as "Sith & Wesson" due to various factors. ;)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 06:27 AM   #10
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
I use Smith & Wesson, H&K, Kalishnakov, and Colt for lasers, sonic weapons, and blasters in my space opera setting. Mind, my Smith & Wesson have branded their blaster line as "Sith & Wesson" due to various factors. ;)
I'll also make up names of companies, sometimes by looking through naming guideline books, sometimes through paging through an old high school yearbook or the phone book of wherever I'm living at the moment. (The latter process gives me an uneven number of WASP names, though, because of where I went to school and presently live, though.)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ultra-tech