Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-28-2018, 03:49 AM   #21
Onkl

Default Re: GURPS DF / DFRPG Random Dungeon Generator

Hooray! Thank you very much Bruno, this is excellent.

Cheers

Onkl
Onkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:43 AM   #22
zuljita

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
I'm not seeing that that. For reference I'm using the GURPSLand hosted version seed of 'The Gauntlet of Ghastly Death' and every else default expect for room layout which is dense.
She means it's on our list of things to do. It's not in yet.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:14 AM   #23
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
If you set "Stairs?" to "No"... there are no stairs... if you set it to "Yes" you have no control over how many stairs there are... (granted one can just truncate those hallways, but)...
If you set it to "yes" there are, as far as I can tell, only two sets of stairs propagated - one that goes up and one that goes down.

Still, having an option to include an entrance (or several) would be nice and shouldn't be any harder than modifying the hallway algorithm to start on an edge and go straight until it hits something and then to create a junction/door with it.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:19 AM   #24
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
If you set it to "yes" there are, as far as I can tell, only two sets of stairs propagated - one that goes up and one that goes down.
Correct. the third option, "Many" generates lots and lots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Still, having an option to include an entrance (or several) would be nice and shouldn't be any harder than modifying the hallway algorithm to start on an edge and go straight until it hits something and then to create a junction/door with it.
I confess I kinda forgot that dungeons can totally be accessed from the side sometimes. I'd have two options, a side tunnel, and then a matching set of tunnels on each side so you can tile maps together. Although that last one might be tricky with the shaped dungeons, I'll have to think about it.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:19 AM   #25
A Ladder

Hey Bruno, Will you be planning on doing a "Wilderness on Automatic" using DF 16: Wilderness Adventures?

IMO, it would be a good implementation to include with the Travel to the Dungeon part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Gotta be fast to escape the propaganda machine of Viking swiftness
A Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:24 AM   #26
martinl

Low priority issue:
With a large party CER it is easy to generate a lot of NaN encounters and treasures. There should be a limit somewhere.
Edit - also happens when too small
Edit - Really large maps do not render

Last edited by martinl; 06-28-2018 at 10:11 AM.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:35 AM   #27
ericbsmith

I just noticed what I assume is another layout bug. When the browser width dips below about ~870 pixels the Room Key (listing of rooms) goes from two columns to one column, however the width of the column stays the same, so the rooms are only taking up the middle half of the page instead of going from left margin to right margin.

Fixing this in dungeon.css by adding the following line under the existing @media screen entry. (unlike my other fix, which is essentially a workaround, this is a permanent fix for this issue).

Code:
@media screen and (max-width: 870px) {
  .room {width: 95%;}
}
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 06-28-2018 at 08:57 AM.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:29 AM   #28
Rasputin

Very nice, though having the default size being 50 pixels/yard is hard to handle at first until you realize you can tweak it. It's still big for a default, however, especially after using drow's D&D versions for years, as I assume most of us have.

Requests:
  • Monsters from DFM3 and Pyramid.
  • Caverns, mines, and other non-clean maps.
  • Special details about the entrance(s), and ability to specify how many. These are often hidden and terrain-dependent.
  • Ability to specify certain features of the dungeon, like light or mana. Spell-casting monsters won't hang out in low-mana dungeons, while monsters with Infravision or Dark Vision won't have lights.
  • Wandering monsters keyed to rooms on the map. As in, that as-Sharak comes from room 6, so if you encounter it and kill it, room 6 will have one less as-Sharak. Ability to tweak how often one shows up, though this is easily pencilled in (frex, I use 6 or less with a clue on 7 if moving, but I check every 10 minutes).
  • The random hallway features from the original.
  • Random chance you trigger a trap (like, "Each delver has a 1-in-6 chance to step on the floor tile that activates the gory cleaver;" much easier than asking where everyone is in a room or hallway at a given point).

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:55 AM   #29
Bruno

[QUOTE=Rasputin;2187403]Very nice, though having the default size being 50 pixels/yard is hard to handle at first until you realize you can tweak it. It's still big for a default, however, especially after using drow's D&D versions for years, as I assume most of us have.

I defaulted to 50px as that's a good size for downloading for playing online, and about 80-90% of people don't actually fiddle much with settings. I'm aiming to have it saved with the defaults (if your browser supports the saving feature, I'm not sure how many do).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
[*]Monsters from DFM3 and Pyramid.
We actually have a large number of monsters entered, but we're currently showing the subset from DFRPG. I'm intending to add a ticky-box to switch between the lists.

Quote:
[*]Caverns, mines, and other non-clean maps.
I'm interested in this, but fractal generation is actually very different, and distorting the boundaries instead is something I need to look into. It's not so much on a "TODO" as "TODO: Investigate whether I can do"

Quote:
[*]Special details about the entrance(s), and ability to specify how many. These are often hidden and terrain-dependent.
Good idea.

Quote:
[*]Ability to specify certain features of the dungeon, like light or mana. Spell-casting monsters won't hang out in low-mana dungeons, while monsters with Infravision or Dark Vision won't have lights.
We actually intend to improve such that either the dungeon picks appropriate monsters (for the mana) or adds notes about intelligent monsters having light sources when they don't have a way of seeing in the dark. Changing the light level to dark if you get a bunch of dark-adapted monsters will result in many things about the dungeon being shuffled, however, including the monsters, so I'm not sure that's going to do what you want.

Quote:
[*]Wandering monsters keyed to rooms on the map. As in, that as-Sharak comes from room 6, so if you encounter it and kill it, room 6 will have one less as-Sharak.
Right now they're definitely not "from" a given room. I like the idea, but it might be kinda tricky.

Quote:
Ability to tweak how often one shows up, though this is easily pencilled in (frex, I use 6 or less with a clue on 7 if moving, but I check every 10 minutes).
We're using the rules for wandering monsters from the DFRPG.

I'm not sure I understand the suggestion. Can you show a worked example?

Quote:
The random hallway features from the original.
There are no random hallway features from the original that I have omitted. The code base that drow released for free is not the modern version you can use on his website, it's a much older one. So that's all things I have to reinvent (which may or may not happen depending on my ability).

(EDIT: If you mean like traps and things in hallways, though, that is on the list yes)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:23 AM   #30
ericbsmith

Quote:
Very nice, though having the default size being 50 pixels/yard is hard to handle at first until you realize you can tweak it. It's still big for a default, however, especially after using drow's D&D versions for years, as I assume most of us have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I defaulted to 50px as that's a good size for downloading for playing online, and about 80-90% of people don't actually fiddle much with settings. I'm aiming to have it saved with the defaults (if your browser supports the saving feature, I'm not sure how many do).
Maybe a checkbox that shrinks the map down to fit on the screen better (not affecting the actual image dimensions, just the display dimensions). I find myself setting the size to 5 or 10 to mess around because you can barely see the map at 50, even if 50 does look like a good size for saving the map image file.
Kaboom-baya.

Tags
dungeon fantasy, dungeons, random dungeon, utility