Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 01-26-2018, 01:53 PM   #11
ArchonShiva

Default Re: Hirelings are a such a great investment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
I realize this was a joke, but in my games when hirelings die their stuff is owned by their heirs, not their employers. If the PCs try to keep it or sell it there will be problems.
Obviously. There is no sane world in which hiring a plumber entitles you to his truck if he goes into cardiac arrest while fiddling with your pipes.

On the other hand, as far as I understand the town abstraction, mot gear is generic, and there isn't an especially good way to tell apart a broadsword from Bob the Fighter and a broadsword from Bub the Orc. The black market is already a feature of town, and all you're saying is that a few streetwise and armory rolls might be needed. It certainly won't get harder than the filch+smuggling combo.

Making a list of potential consequences often encourages clever players, who are after all there for the challenge and the rewards.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:26 PM   #12
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonShiva View Post
On the other hand, as far as I understand the town abstraction, mot gear is generic, and there isn't an especially good way to tell apart a broadsword from Bob the Fighter and a broadsword from Bub the Orc.
Yeah, but it also doesn't matter. If you can't return Bob's broadsword to his heirs, you'll owe them either a replacement in kind or replacement fees, and also death benefits. When you hire someone and they bring their own gear, you're in effect renting their gear, with normal penalties for failing to return it.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:38 PM   #13
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
When you hire someone and they bring their own gear, you're in effect renting their gear, with normal penalties for failing to return it.
That's one way of looking at it.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 03:12 PM   #14
ArchonShiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Yeah, but it also doesn't matter. If you can't return Bob's broadsword to his heirs, you'll owe them either a replacement in kind or replacement fees, and also death benefits. When you hire someone and they bring their own gear, you're in effect renting their gear, with normal penalties for failing to return it.
Wait, are you saying that if Bob falls into a lava pit and burns, you’re expected to refund every last bit of gear? What if he *jumps* into a lava pit, and you can’t quite tell whether he was being mind controlled or not?

PCs pay for repairs and consumables, but you don’t have to put $1,000mon escrow just to rent a guy!
Old 01-26-2018, 03:29 PM   #15
Anthony

Quote:
Wait, are you saying that if Bob falls into a lava pit and burns, you’re expected to refund every last bit of gear? What if he *jumps* into a lava pit, and you can’t quite tell whether he was being mind controlled or not?
Unless you can convince his heirs otherwise, you assume mind control and pay out (and yes, DF90 mentions 'gear lost on quests').
Quote:
PCs pay for repairs and consumables, but you don’t have to put $1,000mon escrow just to rent a guy!
That's what being credit-worthy is about. The ability to hire people for dangerous tasks without a down payment should really be part of what the wealth advantage does.

Last edited by Anthony; 01-26-2018 at 03:54 PM.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 03:46 PM   #16
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Making a list of potential consequences often encourages clever players, who are after all there for the challenge and the rewards.
Those consequences can very quickly make the game not fun. Being outlawed, excommunicated, with a bounty on your head, hunted by parties of 250 point adventurers (the aforementioned Holy Warriors of Order, Justiciars, and Mage-Hunters for example) and platoons of King's Men while living in a cave or ruin means that you are the challenge now.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 01-26-2018 at 04:21 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:10 PM   #17
Mister Negative

Even if you don't get outlawed, excommunicated, and have a bounty put on your head--see what kind of treatment you get in most towns. You know, the place where you rest, resupply, recharge power items, and get healing?

"So, you'd like this Curse removed? What assurances can you offer me that you won't strangle the Prelate during the ceremony?"

Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Mister Negative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:20 PM   #18
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Negative View Post
Even if you don't get outlawed, excommunicated, and have a bounty put on your head--see what kind of treatment you get in most towns. You know, the place where you rest, resupply, recharge power items, and get healing?

"So, you'd like this Curse removed? What assurances can you offer me that you won't strangle the Prelate during the ceremony?"
That's effectively outlawed, reaction penalties to all interactions in town are reaction penalties to all interactions in town.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:36 PM   #19
martinl

Quote:
I'm not saying you're having hurting wrong fun if you're playing DF as an exercise in murdering townies and taking their stuff, but I will suggest that you may have accidentally reversed the polarization on the Dioracgalcum Matrix-Gyrotron.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:43 PM   #20
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
I'm not saying you're having hurting wrong fun if you're playing DF as an exercise in murdering townies and taking their stuff, but I will suggest that you may have accidentally reversed the polarization on the Dioracgalcum Matrix-Gyrotron.
Yeah, you are the monsters now.

That said my current Pathfinder game has seen the players murdering the NPCs sent by competing factions in their organization in dungeons a couple times now, but that's a nasty internal struggle.