Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 09-08-2018, 01:12 AM   #1
tbone

Default Beating up on werewolves

Werewolves are loose! I have a trio of questions about dealing with them. I'm especially curious as to what the Official Rulings are, but any thoughts are welcome.

1) What does a silver-coated weapon do to werewolf DR? Although Vulnerability itself doesn't affect DR as written, the werewolf writeup has DR drop to 0 vs a silver weapon. Sounds fine. But how about a mere silver-coated weapon? Full DR, no DR, or half DR? (I like Option 3 myself!)

2) The description for Dread suggests that a werewolf is truly helpless within a yard of wolvesbane: it can't attack, and can only flee or Do Nothing. It seems clear as written that the fight is over for a werewolf backed into a corner by a PC with a wolvesbane necklace; nothing to do but negotiate. Is that understanding correct?

3) Assuming the wolvesbane-dreading werewolf isn't cornered and wants to fight, I imagine it could turn to human form, get 2 yards or more away, and attack normally with a Reach 2+ weapon or a ranged weapon. Does that sound right?

I know those can be ruled as the GM likes, but it's always interesting to know the Official Answer. Thanks -

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 04:51 PM   #2
Rasputin

Default Re: Beating up on werewolves

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
What does a silver-coated weapon do to werewolf DR? Although Vulnerability itself doesn't affect DR as written, the werewolf writeup has DR drop to 0 vs a silver weapon. Sounds fine. But how about a mere silver-coated weapon? Full DR, no DR, or half DR? (I like Option 3 myself!)
Wouldn't DR not apply, but the silver coating get the lesser damage multipliers as listed in Adventurers?

Since my players saw a werewolf last session but didn't engage (he snarled at them in wolf shape), I'm curious about the rulings myself.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:15 PM   #3
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
Wouldn't DR not apply, but the silver coating get the lesser damage multipliers as listed in Adventurers?
The smaller damage multiplier: Definitely. That one's clear. But the DR: I dunno. Silver is silver, so I suppose a GM is justified as reading "DR: 15 (not vs. silver)" as meaning Grükuk Kzaash's silver-coated brass knuckles get to ignore werewolf DR.

Sounds fun to me. Just wondering whether that's the author's intent as well.

Added ponderings: As much as I like the "half DR" idea for silver-coated weapons, that still leaves werewolves with DR on par with heavy plate. Grükuk would have to use AoA (Strong) with her silver-coated knucks, just to deliver a point or two of damage on a good roll. So my guess is that, by written intent of the rules, even a little silver negates all werewolf DR.

(I like that imagery of Grükuk using brass knuckles toe-to-toe with a were. I'm afraid it'd go poorly for her without help, though, given the were's big damage and her modest armor. Much more amusing: Outfit Argua the Barbarian in plate and hand her the knucks. Expect a call from the SPCA...)

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
Old 09-10-2018, 07:48 AM   #4
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Officially, if the part of the weapon that's touching the werewolf is silver, its DR 15 doesn't apply. Thus, silver-coated weapons ignore the bonus DR, inflict 1.5× injury, and bypass Regeneration, while solid-silver weapons ignore the bonus DR, inflict 2× injury, and bypass Regeneration. If that seems too good, the GM can decide that just as bonus injury is cut in half for silver coating, DR is merely halved . . . but before doing so, consider that the delvers have paid at least 3× as much for their silver-coated weapons. This might best be saved as a special ability for boss-level werewolves.

As for Dread, the idea is that if the object of dread is brought within the indicated distance (one yard, in this case) and there's no way for the monster to use a Move maneuver to leave this radius, the creature must Do Nothing. It isn't stunned, it can defend, and it might even try to buy time for reinforcements. But it can't do anything fancier than that until someone screws up and leaves open an avenue of escape. Dread has no effect if the object of dread is farther away than indicated (here, more than a yard away); the monster can use long-reach weapons, ranged attacks, magic, etc. unimpeded.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:15 AM   #5
tbone

Thanks! Clear as a bell, and in line with my best interpretations of the books.

(By the way, I appreciate DFRPG's use of mechanics like "DR 15 but not vs silver", as opposed to "Impervious to anything but silver". The former is effectively impervious to most PC attacks, yet avoids silliness like "Okay, your trap works and drops the 8-ton block on the werewolf's head. It's not silver so it bounces off." Good stuff.)

Old 09-11-2018, 07:47 AM   #6
zuljita

Amusingly, by letter of the rules, werewolves eyes are not protected by their DR (they lack nictitating membrane).
Old 09-11-2018, 10:42 AM   #7
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
If that seems too good, the GM can decide that just as bonus injury is cut in half for silver coating, DR is merely halved . . . but before doing so, consider that the delvers have paid at least 3× as much for their silver-coated weapons.
On the other hand, if you want there to be any point to pure silver weapons, probably better to halve DR. For a character doing, say, 2d+3 cutting, effects of a hit:
  1. Silver: 1/36 for 15 injury, which is a major wound but does not force consciousness checks. 10/36 for 36-45 injury, forcing a death check. 25/36 for 18-42 injury, forcing consciousness checks.
  2. Silver-Coated, No DR: 6/36 for 11-15 injury, which is a major wound but does not force consciousness checks. 30/36 for 18-33 injury, forcing consciousness checks.
    22 injury, which is a major wound and leaves the werewolf making consciousness checks.
  3. Silver-Coated, Half DR: 6/36 for no injury. 15/36 for 2-9 injury, which is not a major wound. 14/36 for 11-16 injury, which is a major wound. 1/36 for 18 injury, forcing consciousness checks.
  4. Normal Weapon: lo, you have found the attack that goes *ping*.
The difference between (a) and (b) just isn't large enough to justify the extra +17 CF and -2 breakage. The difference between (a) and (c) is large enough to justify the extra cost of pure silver, but the difference between (c) and (d) is still enough to justify the cost of silver coated.

Last edited by Anthony; 09-11-2018 at 10:56 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote