Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-21-2017, 07:31 PM   #1
Kesendeja

Default Fear and Madness

I'm starting a GURPS Horror game dealing with nameless horrors from beyond. I need to know how to model fear and sanity for the characters. I've got the main books, and Horror, but can't find what I need. Admittedly I may just be missing it.
Kesendeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:37 PM   #2
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Fear and Madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesendeja View Post
I need to know how to model fear and sanity for the characters. I've got the main books, and Horror, but can't find what I need.
Have you checked out the rules for Fright Checks (pp. B360-361 and expanded in Horror, p. 139-141)? I'd start with those. There are also rules in Horror for more long-term fright and madness, under "Stress and Derangement" (pp. 141-142) and "Insanity" (pp. 142-146).
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:41 AM   #3
Kesendeja

Thanks, I'm away from my books right now, but I'll check out the pages.
Kesendeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:47 AM   #4
Gollum

And once you will be used to Fright Check rules, you may want to look at Horror options. It gives rules which allow to make a difference between ordinary frights and deeper sanity disorder.

But Fright Check rules are still sufficient to begin with. I played a lot of Call of Cthulhu adventures with them only and it perfectly worked.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 12:53 PM   #5
lordabdul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
But Fright Check rules are still sufficient to begin with. I played a lot of Call of Cthulhu adventures with them only and it perfectly worked.
By "perfectly worked" you mean it's good enough for "in the moment" sanity checks where the characters might freeze and get killed as a result, but did you not miss any of the "accumulating" effects of the original CoC SAN system?
lordabdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:24 PM   #6
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordabdul View Post
By "perfectly worked" you mean it's good enough for "in the moment" sanity checks where the characters might freeze and get killed as a result, but did you not miss any of the "accumulating" effects of the original CoC SAN system?
Fright checks have that. All it takes is a fumble or a big enough modifier and you start to accumulate quirks, delusions, phobias...
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fear, horror, sanity