Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 04-13-2024, 05:56 PM   #1
corwyn

Default Concussion mines

What do these do? Dropped Weapons say the effect is on the token but I could not find anything.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 08:54 PM   #2
JimTullis

Default Re: Concussion mines

Concussion Mines do
Lose 2 Control (the control icons)
Take 2 Damage (the 2 star icon)

Fire Mines do
Lose 1 Control (the control icon)
Take 2 Damage (the 2 star icon)
Start 1 Fire (the flame icon)

For both apply any damage or fire to the side that contacted the mine.

If a Fire Mine tries to start a fire but cannot (car side is already on fire or an obstacle was pushed onto the mine) the fire becomes 1 additional damage.
Per the following thread
https://forums.sjgames.com/showthrea...ight=Fire+Mine

I wish they had made the Concussion Mine with 1 Control and 1 Explosion instead of two control, that way the Explosion could also convert to 1 additional damage AND allow it to trigger the new "Enhanced Explosions" rule in the Car Wars Companion book.

Last edited by JimTullis; 04-13-2024 at 09:30 PM.
JimTullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 05:31 AM   #3
Dr Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTullis View Post
I wish they had made the Concussion Mine with 1 Control and 1 Explosion instead of two control, that way the Explosion could also convert to 1 additional damage AND allow it to trigger the new "Enhanced Explosions" rule in the Car Wars Companion book.
Presumably, though, "excess" control loss will convert to tyre damage in the usual way. And the usual principle of "if they're out of control AND tyres, they've suffered enough" seems reasonable here to me...

Does one get to roll defense against mines? I wouldn't have thought so, it's not like you're more difficult to hit for your speed.
Dr Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 01:07 PM   #4
JimTullis

Yes, excess control loss converts to tyre damage. But that isn't what I'm trying to change.

The change I'm proposing should leave the results for vehicles mostly unchanged.
Replacing 1 control icon with an explosion icon should result in 1 control loss from the icon and 1 control loss when the explosion icon converts for any vehicle that has control tokens. Both of which will convert to tire damage for vehicles that are out of control.

The real changes should be...
Vehicles with no control or tires cannot lose any more control or tires. The explosion icon then converts to 1 extra damage.
AND
Obstacles that get pushed onto concussion mines will ignore the regular control loss and take 1 extra damage from the explosion icon.
AND
Concussion Mines will trigger the new optional advanced rules in the companion book.

Part of my reasoning on this is that the fire icon on fire mines converts up to extra damage vs obstacles and damaged vehicles, making it more powerful for the same build cost. Granted fire mines won't trigger the new rule, but currently none of the mines do, but the smaller Hand Grenades do.
JimTullis is offline   Reply With Quote