Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 03-27-2023, 11:09 AM   #111
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: #Dungeon23 Megadungeon Challenge

Mar 23 etr

Description: Two 2 yard by 15 yard rooms connected by eight passages two yards long and one yard wide, all one yard apart from each other.

Monsters: Two Dark Mistlings, billowing clouds of manevolent smoke. These use the stats for Toxifiers, with the following exceptions:
  • They are elder things rather than demons
  • one of them does not need contact agent to do damage and causes moderate pain rather than nausea
  • the other causes burning damage rather than toxic, and is immune to fire rather than to disease and poison.
A successful Hidden Lore (Elder Things) roll can find these differences out.

Treasure: A very fine katana ($13,000, 5 lbs), A fine large knife ($160, 1 lb), and a suit of elven light mail ($6,000, 36 lbs)

Exits: Four doors, spaced out on the walls opposite the passages between the two rooms. These doors are all average and not locked.

Vision: -10 (no light)

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 11:22 AM   #112
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Mar 24 etr

Description: a circular room 4 yards across. In the center is a glowing stone basin. Four windows look out over the lake that is Mar 3, to the north-west, north-east, south-west, and south-east.

Basin: The basin is 18 inches across and 12 inches deep, and three feet high. A single golden coin (400$) has been left in the center. It is now a 5 Energy power item anyone can use. It will loose energy at a rate of 1 per 24 hours. If any valuable item is placed in the basin it will become a power item acquiring 1 energy per 24 hours, up to its maximum FP. A Thaumatology roll can identify all this.

Vision: -3 (glowing stone basin provides light)

Exit: stone stair built into the south wall lead up here. The four windows can also be used as entrances or exits, if one is willing to brave the smooth walls (+0 to climb) and 16 yard drop.

Treasure: The $400 coin, of course.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 03-27-2023, 01:13 PM   #113
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Mar 27 etr

Description: a four yard by four yard room with Four Large Statues: Anthropomorphic depictions of a Rat, Hare, Bear, and Wolf, each bearing a large stone weapon, and each stone still with their mouth open. The Rat carries a Staff, the Hare two daggers, the Bear a Sword, and the Wolf a bow. A carved depiction of a door is at the end of the room.

Monsters: The statues are stone golems. If they are attacked, the door is attacked, or water is poured into a mouth other than the Rat, the golems will start moving and attack.
  • The stone staff, bow, and sword all count as over-sized mauls
  • The daggers are Short-sword (13) and do 2d impaling.
  • These Golems have 2 extra DR, for a total of 6

The Carved Door Pattern: If water from Mar 22 is poured into the Rat's mouth, the carved door pattern will spring to life and open. The door otherwise counts as a three foot thick wall. (468 DR, 135 HP)

Entrance: A simple stone arch

Last edited by ericthered; 03-27-2023 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-27-2023, 01:31 PM   #114
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
This exercise is too ambitious to really keep up with, but it's fun to know that I can check from time to time to see what develops.

You have quite the fortitude, ericthered!

Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
Yeah, I'm super-impressed, ericthered! I've gotten a few more entries written-but-not posted, but am way behind.
And of course I immediately fall two days behind...

I'm glad you folks are reading! It feels good to know.

I'm sticking to five days a week, and that seems to help.

Old 03-28-2023, 11:08 AM   #115
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Mar 28 etr

Description: A 20 yard by 30 yard island, running southwest to north east. The shore is rocky, but has a little sand. A 5 yard by 2 yard pier juts out to the north. A round stone tower five yards across and 20 yards high is in the center of the island, with a low pointed roof.

The Tentacled Thing: When approaching the island, The tentacled thing from Mar 3 is likely to strike. It will leave the boat alone if a large enough creature (SM-2 or larger) is thrown over the side.

The Rock Mites: 14 rock mites are scattered over the island. A Per-based naturalist-2 roll can identify there presence. If any one of them is disturbed or attacked, they will all attack.

Exits: The Tower Door has been bashed in. The Lake in Mar 3 surrounds the island. Its worth pointing out that and underwater portal is on the northeast side of this island, even if that is part of Mar 3

Treasure: Searching the island for treasure WILL wake up the rock mites if they weren't noticed before. A key is on the island, as well as two small $100 pearls and a scattering of 5 silver coins ($100).

The Boat: There is a 20% chance of the enchanted boat from Mar 6 being in this location. The boat responds to calls for assistance anywhere on the lake, but only moves between the three northern-most beaches and the island.

Old 03-29-2023, 02:19 PM   #116
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Mar 29 etr

Description: A 7 yard by 7 yard room. scorch marks are all over the walls. The walls are hewn from solid rock and covered in mechanical scuff marks.

Exits: Two, on opposite walls, each through an archway at the end of 2 yards of 45 degree stairs.

Monster: A construct animated with magic with four legs supporting a wide base, with a narrow iron torso rising from the center. instead of arms it has repeating crossbows it can point in any direction. The head has two large glass-looking eyes, and around its neck is cluster of six large glass balls. It will attack anyone who attacks it or enters the room, but will not leave the room.

Quote:
Code:
ST 22     HP 22         Speed 7.00
 DX 16     Will 11       Move 6
IQ 9     Per 12
HT 12     FP 12         SM +1
Dodge 10    Parry 11    DR 7 (3 on eyes or glass spheres)

Skills: crossbow -18, brawling -16
Kick (14): 2d6+2 crushing. Treat as weapon, not body part.
Repeating Crossbow (18): 2d6+1 imp Ranged, with Acc 1, 1/2D 66, Max 154, Shots infinity*

Flash: all within 5 yards roll vs HT-3 or are blinded for Margin of Failure seconds, and then take -3 to vision for Margin of Failure seconds. May only be done once per day for each of the six balls on its shoulders

Traits: Cannot Learn, Doesn't Breath, Eat, Drink, or Sleep, Extra Legs (eight legs), Extra Attack, Unliving, Immunity to Disease and Poison, Indomitable, Duty(follow orders), No Fine Manipulators, Unfazeable, Unhealing, Accessory:light, Mute
Class: Construct
Notes: The accessory(light) comes from the balls around its shoulders. They give the effect of full daylight in the room.
Treasure: The two crossbow magazines are cornucopia items, worth $2,010 and weighing .5 lbs each. The cross-bows are too integrated into the machine to be used... they are part of the 500 lbs of scrap the defeated machine results in.

Last edited by ericthered; 03-30-2023 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-30-2023, 11:01 AM   #117
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Mar 30 etr

Description: A 4 yard by 16 yard room, with hew walls and a masonry floor. Every two yards a curtain made of iron chains hangs from the ceiling, stretching across the short way (a total of seven curtains).

Chain curtains: Attacking through a chain curtain gives a -2 to attack, cumulative, and an extra 2 DR to the opponent. Moving through a chain curtain at a speed faster than a step deals 1 damage to the skull, face, or either arm (25% chance of each), with armor protecting normally. Moving through a chain curtain without making noise requires a Stealth-2 check. Seeing through the chain curtains is at -2, plus -1 per additional curtain.

Hearing: -3 (if the chains are being moved to hear things that are not the chains moving)
Vision: -10 (no light), -2 for looking through a curtain, -1 per additional chain curtain.

Treasure: Each chain is three yards long, and each curtain has 12 chains, and there are 7 curtains. That's 252 yards of chain, spread over 84 chains, weighing 1512 lbs, and worth $3,780. Cutting each chain down requires cutting DR 6 HP 2 at a location 9 feet above the ground, and is quite loud.

Exits: Stone archways at each end of the room

Notes: No monsters here... but when put in front of or nearby monsters, its will make for an interesting tactical feature.

Old 04-01-2023, 02:59 AM   #118
ajardoor

Finished the first area of my April floor, check it out on my blog, the link is in my signature. The completed map of March floor is the previous post before that.
Old 04-03-2023, 07:55 AM   #119
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

31 Mar etr

Description: A circular room 4 yards across. The room is full of trashed wooden beams, with just a small bit of rope thrown in. A life-sized stone statue of a dwarf with a crossbow, saber, and myriad tools stands in the room.

The Statue: This statue is the stone form of Dylan Ferlak. Dylan is a companion of Hanry Skyborn (Feb 28) and the creator of the Frooglings (Feb 6). Moving it will deal 3d6 fire damage to anyone in the room. Dylan is a Dwarven Artificer-Wizard. His adventuring group was sworn to take down the wizard Polriket, but they were defeated in personal combat with the wizard. He wants to find the rest of his adventuring party. Dylan was turned to stone 82 years ago. He can tell the players the following information:
  • Polriket is a dark one wizard who wanted immortality without lichdom
  • Polriket loves summoning and necromancy
  • This dungeon was built to protect a mechanism to bring him back from the dead
  • He has (or had) a group of loyal followers with detailed instructions how to traverse the dungeon and bring him back
  • He has some familiarity with the dungeon ... To Be Determined
Remember when the players are trying to restore the statue, that the main way to get here is a portal that reduces spell-casting resources.

Exits: A set of stone stairs leads up on the north wall, but the way is blocked by a massive slab of stone. This stone is six inches thick (75DR and 78HP), and the noise and vibrations will be loud enough to annoy the rock mites just outside. This stone USED to magically reshape itself when a gong was rung, but the gong was stolen a long time ago. The stone will repair damage to itself at the rate of 1 HP and 1 DR per 6 hours.

Last edited by ericthered; 04-03-2023 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-03-2023, 08:10 AM   #120
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

3 Apr etr

Description: a 4 yard circular room covered in scraps of wood and cloth. It appears beds used to be here. This is the second of the tower. There are no windows. A carved inscription is in the south wall

Monster: A Sphere of Madness lives here. It gets in and out via the window.

Entrance: A set of stone stairs on the north wall leads up to Mar 24. A set of stone stairs on the south wall leading down is blocked by an solid stone block (see 31 Mar). Reading the inscription above the stairs (not just saying the words, reading it) will open the solid stone block for 3 hours, or close it. It takes 5 seconds to read the inscription.

Last edited by ericthered; 04-28-2023 at 09:30 AM.

Tags
#dungeon23, challenge, megadungeon