Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-27-2015, 05:22 PM   #11
Culture20

Default Re: [GURPS Lite] TL8 Time Travelers Go to WW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
This honestly should not apply to using firearms. Maintenance, maybe.
Rules As Written say to apply a flat -1 per TL difference for DX based TL skills. I could see this for speed-loading, especially when there's an actual clip instead of a magazine. My GM-sense says I should probably apply this as a familiarity penalty unless the ammunition is drastically different (paper charges, black powder, etc).
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:20 PM   #12
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf View Post
If the characters do not have History or any Expert skill in that relative social science then punish them for noting knowing squat about what is happening.

Many students in some parts of the world have no relevant knowledge to that period because relatives (dads, grandads, uncles etc) were not in the war. So make sure that the players do not assume their characters know anything much about the conflict.
You date yourself. My grandparents barely remember the times when the war was on. I got a lot more information on it from movies. And even more information because I'm a history buff and liked to play axis and allies (the board game).

The agency idea is right though: give the players fair warning before the game that they might want to have history buffs among them.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:52 PM   #13
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuteman37 View Post
Hi SJGames, I was pondering the idea of running a WW2 Time Travel game with a group of new players and I wanted to keep everything simple and rules lite, but I'm woundering is there any sort of must have optional rule or source Book I should keep in mind? Disregarding the obvious like high-tech for guns and 3e's WWII line.

Also any general advice for running a game with gurps lite?
As with any time travel spend some time pinpricking chronological prejudice. People in other environments of time or space should not be assumed to be stupid just because they live in a different environment. Don't dodge values dissonance but don't simplify it either.

On the other hand you can indulge in a few cheap jokes like at the quality of the coffee. In fact that might be quite amusing. You can even make one of your time traveling PCs a barista for comic relief.

Have a Service dance party sometime. Even play some 40's hits on YouTube for that. It is a cliche but a good one and gets the atmosphere going. And you can throw in one or two subversions to mix things up. Speaking of that there are a couple good books for cocktail recipes that you can mine for period chrome of the kind. Oh and don't forget the Glamorous Wartime Singer.

Last edited by jason taylor; 10-27-2015 at 07:52 PM.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:54 PM   #14
smurf
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
You date yourself. My grandparents barely remember the times when the war was on. I got a lot more information on it from movies. And even more information because I'm a history buff and liked to play axis and allies (the board game).

The agency idea is right though: give the players fair warning before the game that they might want to have history buffs among them.
I'm a historian too but read a lot of books. Those 5-6years were pretty well nuanced in any given theatre.

Hence the problem of such time travelers is knowing some of the nuances of various partisan groups, who to trust and not to trust. Not giving too much away etc.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:27 PM   #15
Minuteman37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
As with any time travel spend some time pinpricking chronological prejudice. People in other environments of time or space should not be assumed to be stupid just because they live in a different environment. Don't dodge values dissonance but don't simplify it either.

On the other hand you can indulge in a few cheap jokes like at the quality of the coffee. In fact that might be quite amusing. You can even make one of your time traveling PCs a barista for comic relief.

Have a Service dance party sometime. Even play some 40's hits on YouTube for that. It is a cliche but a good one and gets the atmosphere going. And you can throw in one or two subversions to mix things up. Speaking of that there are a couple good books for cocktail recipes that you can mine for period chrome of the kind. Oh and don't forget the Glamorous Wartime Singer.
Why exactly would the coffee be bad?
Minuteman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:04 PM   #16
jason taylor

Quote:
Because back then Americans were fairly simple and spartan in their coffee tastes. It was the age of the Joe, and not of the stuff-with-Italian-names. Moderns might find the coffee of the time bad. Or vice-versa for that matter if you want to bring one of them forward and have him taste our coffee.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:28 PM   #17
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Because back then Americans were fairly simple and spartan in their coffee tastes. It was the age of the Joe, and not of the stuff-with-Italian-names. Moderns might find the coffee of the time bad. Or vice-versa for that matter if you want to bring one of them forward and have him taste our coffee.
It was the age before coffee became a milkshake. :)

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:28 PM   #18
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
I think I'm with Minuteman... I don't get it.

I drink simple, unflavored, unfutzed up coffee and it's good (adding only some milk or cream).

Now if you mean they used percolators and burned the heck out the coffee, yes. Those heathens must be drug kicking and screaming into the 20 century of coffee brewing...
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:33 PM   #19
weby

Quote:
If they are anywhere except with the American Forces the coffee is way too likely this instead: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_substitute
Old 10-27-2015, 11:44 PM   #20
Minuteman37

So basically if I'm time traveling I should take a Jerrycan of Coffeemate with me?
Minuteman37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite, wwii