Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 10-02-2012, 11:34 PM   #1
Pillur

Default How can I turn Munchkin into a 8+player game?

I just bought Munchkin Deluxe this past weekend and played it a few times with some friends. I honestly love this game and so do my friends. I have read online you can play with 8 players if you have the right expansions. I was thinking about buying expansions 2 & 3, and then some more later down the road. I got some few beginner questions and hope someone can help me out.

1. If I buy expansions 2 & 3 will I be able to play with 8 players? If I need 2 other expansions or if there are 2 other expansions I should get besides 2 & 3 because they are more better and fun please let me know.

2. When playing with expansions do I use all the cards? Or do I mix and match on what expansions to use or what certain cards to use? If I use all expansions at once does that mean I can play with more players?

3. Anyone know a good online site besides Amazon or Warehouse 23 where I can buy Munchkin expansions? My local hobby store charges way too much.

4. Anyone know where I can find the Munchkin Bag of Babe figures? I cant seem to find any online. Also if I buy the male or female figures, do they come with sex cards? If not do they sell those separately?

Much thanks in advance! :)
Pillur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:50 PM   #2
Mister Ed

Default Re: How can I turn Munchkin into a 8+player game?

The problem with playing with 8-players is one that can't, in my opinion, be fixed by adding more cards.

The problem is that the game takes FOREVER (in my experience, which I admit is limited to a couple of examples- but the principles seem sound), because:

1.) Every round has to go through 8 people, some of whom are bound to want to think about what to do at some point. It can be rather dull waiting half an hour or more for your turn to come around again.

2.) With 8 people, there are so many cards out there to mess with people that it becomes kind of difficult to get a winner. Toward the end of the game, if you are going for the winning level, there is a decent chance that, among the SEVEN people trying to stop you, there is sufficient means to do so. You end up having to wait for a BUNCH of people to be shooting for that winning level at the same time before anybody has much chance of getting it.

So adding more cards can help in the sense that you won't go through the decks as fast, but it doesn't really address the problems that I see with playing the game with that many people.

As to the question of how you add expansions, yeah, they are designed to just add the whole thing in. You CAN (and I do, often) decide to add some expansions and not others. That's fine. As long as you have the Core set, you can add whatever combination of expansions suits your fancy, though they are designed to be added in order, so if you skip over one, you will likely have a few cards in the later ones that refer to something in the one you skipped. Some people would pull cards out to address that oddity, but I usually don't bother. There are enough things in the game that you pay for with discards that I don't find it too worrisome to have the odd card that isn't too useful.

Last edited by Mister Ed; 10-02-2012 at 11:57 PM.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:09 AM   #3
Nipaah

About the babe figures, I bought a pack of those this week from an online store in my country. They do not have any cards coming with, and I'm not even sure what you mean by sex cards anyway..
Nipaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:21 AM   #4
Mister Ed

Munchkin Deluxe (which the original poster has) comes with cards that you use to keep track of your sex, with male on one side and female on the other.

The Babes (or the male Munchkin pawns for that matter) do not come with the cards, but you don't really NEED the cards if you've got the male AND female pawns.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:34 AM   #5
Nipaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Munchkin Deluxe (which the original poster has) comes with cards that you use to keep track of your sex, with male on one side and female on the other.

The Babes (or the male Munchkin pawns for that matter) do not come with the cards, but you don't really NEED the cards if you've got the male AND female pawns.
Thanks, I figured there probably were cards like that, but was wondering if he meant cards that you could use to force others gender to change, like curses or the likes.

Anyway yeah, I got both male and female pawns and we use those to keep track of our genders, we even use inhouse rules to randomly get genders at start of the game instead of using our real genders to start out with. :p
Nipaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:03 AM   #6
njals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillur View Post
I just bought Munchkin Deluxe this past weekend and played it a few times with some friends. I honestly love this game and so do my friends. I have read online you can play with 8 players if you have the right expansions. I was thinking about buying expansions 2 & 3, and then some more later down the road. I got some few beginner questions and hope someone can help me out.

1. If I buy expansions 2 & 3 will I be able to play with 8 players? If I need 2 other expansions or if there are 2 other expansions I should get besides 2 & 3 because they are more better and fun please let me know.
With two expansions you should have enough cards for an eight player game.
  • More players equates to more time spent at the table playing, I once played in a 11 player game, it took some time to play out and we all enjoyed yourselves. YMMV.
  • The more people you have in the group the more chance their is for distraction of players and causing needless down time.
  • Or the dreaded, "Oh wait I wanted to do something," for this make sure the reasonable amount of time given at the end of a combat is clearly counted off at a volume others can easily hear the count without yelling, after that too bad and thanks for coming out. The group I play with use a, "I am winning, is anyone doing anything? Going Once! Going Twice! Gone!" count.
  • Myself for large group games, I ask that phones are silent and vibrate is off, we do not pause if a player has to use the bathroom or get a drink or take a call(which must be done in another room) unless that player's turn comes up while that player is out.
  • If a player has to leave the game before it is over, we have a house rule, the that character dies and we get to loot the body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
2.) With 8 people, there are so many cards out there to mess with people that it becomes kind of difficult to get a winner. Toward the end of the game, if you are going for the winning level, there is a decent chance that, among the SEVEN people trying to stop you, there is sufficient means to do so. You end up having to wait for a BUNCH of people to be shooting for that winning level at the same time before anybody has much chance of getting it.

The only thing that comes close to dealing with this issue is the sharing the win in the new Faster Play rules.

Last edited by njals; 10-03-2012 at 10:25 AM. Reason: general editing and making it look nicer
njals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:16 AM   #7
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

If I had eight or more players, I'd bust out a second game. For me, five players is the Munchkin sweet spot.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:22 AM   #8
njals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
If I had eight or more players, I'd bust out a second game. For me, five players is the Munchkin sweet spot.
This is an even better idea if you got a second set. Think I will head over to the thrift store tomorrow before work, I saw a used copy of munchkin there on the weekend.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:27 AM   #9
bonetm

With 8-10 players you could also play Nanuk. It's a great party game with lots of people.
MiB: #1602
bonetm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #10
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by njals View Post
This is an even better idea if you got a second set. Think I will head over to the thrift store tomorrow before work, I saw a used copy of munchkin there on the weekend.
While this is a fine idea, you could always get yourself a different core set from another theme that you enjoy too. You can even blend the sets when playing with smaller number of people to give you a choice of three different ways to play the game (and exponentially more as you expand your owned sets).