Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-26-2020, 07:48 AM   #1
Steven Marsh

Default Call for Playtesters: GURPS Hot Spots: Srivijaya

We are seeking playtesters for GURPS Hot Spots: Srivijaya, by Randy Huegele. This is a mid-length (~50 pages) supplement about the historical Buddhist maritime empire at the heart of Southeast Asia.

We are ideally seeking those with historical knowledge of Srivijaya (and/or related topics), although at least some slots will be available for those with knowledge of GURPS Fourth Edition in general (especially those with insight into the game-related material who may be willing to playtest those elements in actual play).

The playtest is currently scheduled to run for about three weeks, from December 4, 2020 to December 28, 2020, although there is some flexibility and allowance for the holidays.

Preferential playtest slots will be given to those who have spent at least $50 on PDFs from Warehouse 23 in the past calendar year, though this is not a requirement. For more, see the general playtest information page.

Prospective playtesters should email Roger Burton West at pt-srivijaya@firedrake.org with [playtest] in the subject. Include your preferred email address for the closed playtest mailing list, your name as you wish it to appear in the published supplement, your Warehouse 23 login name, and a few words on why we should pick you: qualifications, experience, current gaming group(s), etc. Please submit in this format:

Code:
jennydoe@etheremail.com
Jennifer Doe
jendoegamer

I'm a GM with 10 years' experience, and have been running GURPS
campaigns for seven years; I have playtest credit on three previous
supplements. I've been running a time-traveling campaign and have
a group of PCs that would greatly appreciate traveling to Srivijaya.
As it happens, I also have a degree in Indonesian history.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:48 AM   #2
Dalin

Default Re: Call for Playtesters: GURPS Hot Spots: Srivijaya

What a happy surprise! I could not be more excited about this supplement. Historical supplements from Steve Jackson Games are the gold (nay, platinum!) standard across the industry. I'm so glad that this proposal got the green light.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 10:52 AM   #3
whswhs

That sounds cool, and I look forward to publication, but I'm both too busy and not knowledgeable enough to take part. Best wishes for a productive playtest!

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 01:42 PM   #4
Blind Mapmaker

Cool topic, nice size for a historical book too and nice size for a hot spot. Can't wait to read it, but I really know next to nothing of South-East Asian history, so I would be a bad choice for playtester.
Old 11-30-2020, 03:40 PM   #5
SimonAce

Can't help do to lack of knowledge but thanks for green lighting such interesting material.
SimonAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:21 PM   #6
Michael Thayne

I know nothing of the historical era, but am intrigued by this idea of a GURPS playtest involving "actual play". Just posted to a small private RPG discord I'm part of to see if I can rope any of my friends into this. Or are there any other forum denizens who might be able to do such a thing?
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 04:00 PM   #7
Steven Marsh

A little bird tells me that we've gotten some great responses, and I think it'll be a good playtest.

However, we actually have a spot or two for folks with adequate (not stellar) GURPS knowledge, and little-to-no idea of Srivijaya. In other words, how well does this present the subject matter and game material to someone who isn't an expert (which will, ultimately, be a large swath of the potential audience)?

So if you've been on the fence about applying, are otherwise interested, but didn't think you were "qualified," feel free to toss your hat in the ring!
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 05:21 AM   #8
lachimba

I think I've missed out on this, but by pure coincidence with a hangover I was watching Thai language videos on the sanskrit/pali origin of the thai language this morning. Little to the North, but excited to learn more what was going on.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote