Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 12-08-2019, 10:23 AM   #1
JimTullis

Default Uncle Albert's Catalog and CW6E card sizes

I would like to store the upgrade cards in a binder.
Experience from X-Wing shows that this is the easiest way for me to design vehicles using cards.

I have created a binder cover and section dividers that will bring the flavor of Uncle Al's catalog to my binder.

The only problem I'm having is that the current listed card size for the 6th edition upgrades is Mini European (44x68 mm) (Munchkin Treasure Hunt size) and I can find no binder pages that will fit those sleeved.

There are binder pages for sleeved Mini American (41x63 mm) cards. Including Ultimate Guard's 32-Pocket Pages Mini American double sided side-loading page with black background and Ultra-Pro's Platinum 4x4 top load pages. (Ultra-Pro has some side loading pages with the nicer black background, but not for Mini American.)

Does anyone know of a source for binder pages that will hold sleeved Mini European cards?

OR would anyone like to convince SJ Games to use Mini American sized cards? They used them in the past, my First Edition Pocket Box Illuminati uses Mini American sized cards.

ALSO,
If someone from the company would like to message me, I would be glad to share a PDF of the Binder Cover and Dividers that I designed. Since they are derivative works based on the first Uncle Albert's Catalog, I will not share them with anyone except the Company. AND I gladly give the company permission to use the ideas from my binder pages to design one that they can distribute or sell if they wish.
JimTullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 11:00 AM   #2
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Re: Uncle Albert's Catalog and CW6E card sizes

Please give us some time.

No promises, but we are following leads that may allow us to create custom binders and pages. We need time to fully research the situation.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:11 AM   #3
JimTullis

Thank You, Phil.

I really wasn't expecting you guys to go all in for custom binders, but if you can swing it, I think it will be awesome.

I'm hoping that if you do make custom binders that at least one cover option resembles the Classic Uncle Al's 2035 Catalog. Updated to 2075 of course. ;)

Even if you are not able to swing custom binders, just setting the card size to Mini American would allow people more storage options.

Again, Thank You for listening to fan ideas and for quick responses to questions.
Old 12-13-2019, 02:55 PM   #4
ldj00

I would much prefer using a standard that has wide support...
Old 12-16-2019, 12:52 PM   #5
sazzlefrats

Max width on the 16 pocket pages I used to make was 44.45mm, but the seam would be 1 or 2mm, so even sketchy thin seams would make the pockets too small. My old sleeve plan wouldn't work....

however.....

One could possibly take existing 3 pocket coupon/check protector pages, add 3 seams vertically, and then 3 seams horizontally (to shorten each pocket to 70mm) to make a 3x4 page. Boom! And will fit in a standard american binder.

I think its actually possible to contract with one of the manufacturers of pocket pages and get them to make a custom 16 pocket page that would work, the initial costs are pretty high and this use case might be a bit narrow. but once one starts the others will follow. Ultimate Guard might be the easiest to work with. Ultra was very expensive.

Ok Phil, just let me know when you are releasing the official Car Wars binder. Cause I'm making my own pages in anticipation of 6th edition.

Jeff

Last edited by sazzlefrats; 12-16-2019 at 01:56 PM.
sazzlefrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:30 AM   #6
JimTullis

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
No promises, but we are following leads that may allow us to create custom binders and pages.
Just curious, any updates on this?
Old 01-04-2020, 09:15 AM   #7
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTullis View Post
Just curious, any updates on this?
The factory is working on a sample for us.
Old 01-04-2020, 11:35 AM   #8
JimTullis

Thanks for the update.
Old 06-02-2020, 03:18 AM   #9
JimTullis

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
The factory is working on a sample for us.
I understand that Corona has held up a lot of stuff.
I am curious if the factory got any samples to you and if so how did they look?

Thanks
Old 06-02-2020, 05:09 AM   #10
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTullis View Post
I understand that Corona has held up a lot of stuff.
I am curious if the factory got any samples to you and if so how did they look?

Thanks
We're unlikely to offer these at this time. These are far, far too up in the air for us to tackle this project. We need to focus on what we _know_ we can produce and not risk delaying the Car Wars project as we attempt to create something we've not made before.