Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-19-2018, 08:55 AM   #11
Vaevictis Asmadi

Default Re: Please help price an advantage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr beer View Post
HT 20 seems high. That makes someone largely immune to poison and routinely able to continue fighting while mortally injured and gives +2.5 Speed. I'd probably represent their various abilities with specific Advantages rather than making them inhumanly robust.
Oops... nope they shouldn't be immune to poison, and fighting while mortally wounded is supposed to be absurdly rare. They should be inhumanly robust, though. They're difficult to kill, and it can take years for one to starve to death. Would that be more like HT 17, FP 20, and Reduced Consumption? Or should they have HP 20? Hard to Kill and Very Fit may be good options, but they also increase resistance to poison. (Could I limit them to say they don't work on rolls against poison?)

Elves are fairly fast but I can reduce Basic Speed directly.

Quote:
As far as Regrowth (Crippling only) goes, I'd price it as -50%.
Could you share how you arrived at that? Why do you consider this should cost more than Unbreakable Bones?

Published GURPS Settings
(as of 4/2013 -- I hope to update it someday...)
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:02 AM   #12
Andreas

An argument for making such an advantage more expensive than Unbreakable Bones is that Ubreakable Bones does not protect the vitals and the brain (it probably also shouldn't protect the eyes, but it seems like it actually does according to a strict reading of the rules).
Andreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:21 AM   #13
Vaevictis Asmadi

That's a very good point. Although protecting brain and eyes does seem like too much. So limbs, vitals, and torso. (Although, a crippling heart wound probably = bleeding to death anyway.)

5 for protecting limbs (less than Unbreakable Bones)
3 for protecting vitals (less than No Vitals)
5 for protecting torso (spine, ribs, non-vital organs)
1 for preventing scars
1 to make it an even 15 points?

Technically the effect could also cover the neck vertebrae and spinal cord, but it shouldn't do anything about strangling or slit jugulars, or a completely severed spinal cord.

Published GURPS Settings
Old 10-19-2018, 12:26 PM   #14
Donny Brook

Quote:
.... I'd probably represent their various abilities with specific Advantages rather than making them inhumanly robust.
But "inhumanly robust" would not be incorrect for Tolkien's elves, IMO.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:36 PM   #15
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaevictis Asmadi View Post
I would like help pricing this advantage, please. Here's what it does:

Complete Healing
Crippling injuries are never permanent, except dismemberment. On a critical failure on your HT roll to recover, the injury is lasting. On an ordinary failure, the injury is lasting, but divide recovery time by 2. Prerequisite: HT 13+.

There's also a bit about hot getting scars, which I've judged is 1 pt by itself. It's the bulk of the advantage, above, that I'm not sure about.

I'm also thinking I should change it so that on a failure recovery times are normal for a lasting injury, and on a critical failure recovery time is double. This is for LotR Elves, and they already have Very Rapid Healing anyway. I may also increase the HT prerequisite.
Perk: "Perfect Recovery" (No Nuisance Roll: Crippling duration rolls) [1]
Prerequisite: Effective HT 16+ (HT 16+, or Rapid Healing and HT 11+, etc)

When crippled, duration is always Temporary, once you are fully healed, these effects disappear. You are also immune to HT loss when recovering from Mortal Wounds and IQ loss when recovering from Suffocation.

Remember, there's no HT roll for Dismemberment and duration is always permanent:

Quote:
Dismemberment: If injury to a body part before applying the above limit was at least twice what was needed to cripple it, the body part is not just crippled but destroyed. A cutting attack or explosion severs a limb or extremity; otherwise, it’s irrevocably crushed, burned, etc

Last edited by NineDaysDead; 10-19-2018 at 12:57 PM.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:59 PM   #16
Plane

Another approach is if you treated the bonus to HT rolls from Rapid Healing as a form of "resistant" and scaled up the price as "immune to". It's normally +3/+8/immune so +5 doesn't fit in there well.

As much as I like the No Nuisance Rolls approach, they're not meant for combat, and don't you make crippling checks as soon as you suffer the injury, such as in combat? Sort of like the HT checks to avoid death in negative HP, having NNR for that would be really strong but those often happen in combat too, even though neither HT check is specifically an attack or active defense.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:14 PM   #17
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Another approach is if you treated the bonus to HT rolls from Rapid Healing as a form of "resistant" and scaled up the price as "immune to". It's normally +3/+8/immune so +5 doesn't fit in there well.

As much as I like the No Nuisance Rolls approach, they're not meant for combat, and don't you make crippling checks as soon as you suffer the injury, such as in combat?
No, you don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic page 422
If you suffer a crippling injury, make a HT roll to see how serious it is. For battlefield injuries, roll at the end of combat.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:18 AM   #18
Vaevictis Asmadi

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the NNR approach unless there's more certainty that it's alright to do it that way.

On the other hand, looking closer at Campaigns I see that only limbs, extremities, and eyes can be crippled at all. So:

1 for preventing scars
1 for immunity to permanent HT loss when recovering from Mortal Wounds

Does that look alright?

Published GURPS Settings
Old 10-22-2018, 08:27 AM   #19
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaevictis Asmadi View Post
I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the NNR approach unless there's more certainty that it's alright to do it that way.

On the other hand, looking closer at Campaigns I see that only limbs, extremities, and eyes can be crippled at all. So:

1 for preventing scars
1 for immunity to permanent HT loss when recovering from Mortal Wounds

Does that look alright?

That looks good to me!

As a GM, it might be interesting to call it Immunity (lasting wounds) and price lasting wounds as either an occasional or rare category, which would stick at [5] or [10]

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
healing, injury tolerance