Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-26-2016, 12:29 PM   #31
Humabout

Default Re: Injury Tolerance: Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
It's sort of like an extra Dodge, but any feasible ATR build is going to be some contorted convoluted nightmare. Over time, IT:Blur works out about the same as IT:DR (although the latter has some rounding artifacts), it's just different for individual attacks.
That's a good indication that you're on the right track. At this point, my only concern is that your using a linear pricing scheme for something (your dodge chance on 3d) that isn't linear. But then again, this pops up fairly often in other places like the Reliable enhancement or the Obscure advantage. While I don't like it being lumped in with IT (just call it Blur and make it its own advantage), I'd say run with what you have!

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 02:43 PM   #32
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
Do you mean here that it wouldn't have it?
Most certainly not. Attack Evasion means attacks miss you because of IT:Blur. A sensory-based IT:Blur is going to cause attacks to miss you - not hit but fail to injure you (as the default IT:Blur does).

Some confusion may be from the fact that the baseline for IT:Blur has changed from the first post - for its price, IT:Blur should be no more effective than IT:DR, so the base version doesn't cause attacks to miss, it just prevents them from causing (direct) Injury.

Quote:
This is an example of what I mean when I say that you need to settle on some kind of actual in-setting effect before we can properly evaluate the trait. You suggest that a visible distortion effect would be an example of "Injury Tolerance: Blur", and then suggest that the above, super-but-unreliable regeneration, would also be an example. But they have rather significantly different effects - a visible distortion field would still be vulnerable to effects targeted at the area you were in, rather than yourself, whereas this regeneration effect would work just fine on area effects, but would logically vulnerable to massive damage attacks, that did enough damage to just annihilate you outright before the regeneration could kick in.
In GURPS, you pay for mechanical effects, not descriptions. IT:Blur, without modifiers, simply erases any Injury you suffer when it's in effect. If the explanation for your ability means other effects should be in play, you use Enhancements and Limitations to modify it - a sensory distortion effect would have Attack Evasion and Discriminate Only (-20%?), for example, while partial insubstantiality would have Attack Evasion, Insubstantial, and Physical Only. The regeneration effect wouldn’t have any of that, but if you decide that some portion of the body must remain intact for it to work, you could add in a Limitation there.

Quote:
Also, why does the unreliable regeneration treat each wound discretely? This would be better built with Regeneration (Extreme) with the Unreliable limitation.
Maybe you have a power that, when it registers damage, it automatically and instantly patches you up, but it isn’t completely reliable at "registering" the damage (the entity that controls it is fallible - or fickle - or it relies on your soul’s perception of Self, and the soul actually counts damage as part of Self if you don’t reverse it quickly enough). Maybe your power actually shunts the injuring effects of impacts and the like into another dimension, but can’t actually fix you. There are plenty of possibilities. Heck, you might even have Regeneration, this is just an “overclocked” version that can sometimes kick in.

Quote:
Such a character probably has Variable on their Weakness. I'd say a reasonable way of handling Weakness with Variable would be, instead of halving or doubling the damage, roll double the normal damage ahead of time, divide the time period into equal segments, and apply an applicable fraction of the damage every segment that the character is actually out in it. So if you've got Weakess (Sunlight), 1d/minute with Variable, the GM would roll 1dX2 at the start of the time. If they rolled 10 points, they could inflict 1 point of damage every 6 seconds you were out in the sunlight, whereas if they rolled 12, they could inflict 2 points every 10 seconds.
A legitimate way to do it, but not all GM’s - or players - are going to want to mess with that, so they’ll just go with Weakness as-is and ignore or otherwise deal with any inconsistencies it causes. Maybe you think that’s Hurting Wrong Fun, but I’m alright with it - just as I’d be fine with someone abstracting the effect of IT:Blur with continuous damage instead of turning it into IT:DR in that particular case.

Quote:
This also applies with Obscure. Obscure 10 means "you can't detect or target the person with the affected sense at all" - there's a qualitative difference between Obscure 9, which is -9 to hit, and Obscure 10, which is "you can't see me at all, you must rely on another sense entirely". Obscure 10 with Anti-Targeting is a "total displacement" power, which prevents someone from effectively hitting you at all if they're shooting at your image.
Which means it only works with a full 10 levels, always works with whichever sense you’ve Obscured fine (but doesn’t work at all with others, unless you Link some Obscures together), and is always -6 to hit (and must choose a random hex - maybe, not certain if that’s the case with the Anti-Targeting Limitation). There’s a lot of baggage with Obscure that can be avoided with IT:Blur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
That's a good indication that you're on the right track. At this point, my only concern is that your using a linear pricing scheme for something (your dodge chance on 3d) that isn't linear. But then again, this pops up fairly often in other places like the Reliable enhancement or the Obscure advantage. While I don't like it being lumped in with IT (just call it Blur and make it its own advantage), I'd say run with what you have!
Thanks. And my pricing scheme isn't quite linear, although at some points it looks that way - while each nominal level is [25], note this gets you +30% to miss chance for the first level, +20% (50% total) for the second, +15% (65% and 80%) each for the third and fourth, +5% (85% and 90%) each for the fifth and sixth, and +2.5% (92.5% and 95%) for the seventh and eight.

You're probably right that this should be considered its own Advantage, rather than linking it to Injury Tolerance, even though it's been built off IT:DR. I'll keep calling it IT:Blur for now, however.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 02:27 AM   #33
kirbwarrior

Basing it of IT:DR seems mechanically sound (I like simply calling it Evasion or IT:E). I'm not sure it's an entire +100% to affect everything, though, maybe 50-70%.

On a related note, that means 'affects everything' would be the same price (whatever it is) on normal IT:DR. I wonder if it makes Agony into Pain, or makes it last half as long, or...
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 07:21 AM   #34
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
Basing it of IT:DR seems mechanically sound (I like simply calling it Evasion or IT:E). I'm not sure it's an entire +100% to affect everything, though, maybe 50-70%.
I actually have it set as +50%, but require characters to either take Slippery +50% (not a real modifier - it's actually just buying enough levels of Cosmic Slippery to equal 50% of the base cost of your IT:Blur) or Affects Others +50% (this is itself a modified version of Affects Others - neither you nor your target need to be willing to share the trait). It's just easier to call that +100%.

As far as naming, another occurs to me that probably gets the point across a lot better than Evasion, Blur, or similar - Injury Tolerance: Damage Negation (IT:DN). Not sure how well I like that, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
On a related note, that means 'affects everything' would be the same price (whatever it is) on normal IT:DR. I wonder if it makes Agony into Pain, or makes it last half as long, or...
"Affects Everything" doesn't really make sense on normal IT:DR, IMO. I mean, I could see it impacting the way corrosion damage affects DR, affecting knockback, and affecting how readily things get set on fire, but the rest doesn't really make sense to be halved or whatever. I'd eyeball it as +10% to affect one follow-up effect (Knockback, Side Effect, etc), +20% to affect all of them (Afflictions, Binding, Grappling, etc don't translate well to IT:DR but would make up the remaining 30%).
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
injury tolerance, insubstantiality, powers