Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-10-2014, 12:06 PM   #1
Anders

Default Healing power leaving heavy scarring

I'm converting a setting and came across this:

A Healing power that causes heavy scarring - what effects could it have and what kind of limitation would it be? (In the original setting it has zero effects, but that offends my sense of reality.)
Old 02-10-2014, 12:16 PM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Healing power leaving heavy scarring

So, Healing with some kind of Nuisance Effect that the wounds *look* like they healed naturally? That would leave some nasty scars for anything that counts as a major wound.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:23 PM   #3
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

I'd call it a Nuisance Effect, probably worth no more than -5%. I mean, really, is it better to be healed and scarred or not healed at all? Generally the scarring would be better, and natural healing normally causes scars anyway. If the scarring is particularly horrific, causing automatic losses in appearance levels, that might be worth more like -20%.

It might be worth more if it cannot heal crippled limbs due to the scarring or cannot cure diseases (the former is probably worth about -10%, the later is canonically worth -20% on it's own).
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:42 PM   #4
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
A Healing power that causes heavy scarring - what effects could it have and what kind of limitation would it be?
A penalty to appearance or a DX penalty to the location wounded seem like possible side effects. However, since GURPS doesn't have rules for scarring (if you heal the HP, you're better), there aren't a lot of guidelines.

Quote:
(In the original setting it has zero effects, but that offends my sense of reality.)
That miraculous healing doesn't have side effects seems an odd place to find one's sense of reality.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:49 PM   #5
Anders

In the original setting there's heavy scarring but no side effects. Which seems odd, especially for, e.g. burn wounds to the face.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:50 PM   #6
Nereidalbel

Quote:
In the original setting there's heavy scarring but no side effects. Which seems odd, especially for, e.g. burn wounds to the face.
Leaving scars counts as either Social or Appearance disadvantages. Some scars may count as bonuses with warrior-types, too.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
healing, nuisance effect, setting conversion