Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-28-2019, 11:17 AM   #1
Alonsua
Banned

Default Biotech/IQ bonuses

Do the bonuses stack? By TL11 you can undergo brain modifications for IQ+3 "and" brain tissue graft for IQ+2 (TL9). Can you stack them for a total modifier of IQ+5 by TL11, or shall we assume that since one is a genemod (genetic engineering) and the other is a neuromod (surgery) the last one is the rudimentary version of the first? In the latter case can you also stack a cognitive enhancement (TL10) from Ultratech for an extra IQ+3, for a total of IQ+8?

Last edited by Alonsua; 01-28-2019 at 11:20 AM.
Alonsua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:27 AM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: Biotech/IQ bonuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
Do the bonuses stack? By TL11 you can undergo brain modifications for IQ+3 "and" brain tissue graft for IQ+2 (TL9). Can you stack them for a total modifier of IQ+5 by TL11, or shall we assume that since one is a genemod (genetic engineering) and the other is a neuromod (surgery) the last one is the rudimentary version of the first? In the latter case can you also stack a cognitive enhancement (TL10) from Ultratech for an extra IQ+3, for a total of IQ+8?
Do the published rules specify one way or the other? If not, I'd say this is a worldbuilding decision.

If I were building the world, I would say that surgery changed the structure of the brain, but genetic engineering got the brain to change its own structure. But in both cases you would be gaining the benefits of an improved brain structure. So I would probably think those two overlapped and you couldn't have both.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:31 AM   #3
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Do the published rules specify one way or the other? If not, I'd say this is a worldbuilding decision.

If I were building the world, I would say that surgery changed the structure of the brain, but genetic engineering got the brain to change its own structure. But in both cases you would be gaining the benefits of an improved brain structure. So I would probably think those two overlapped and you couldn't have both.
Exactly, I would think the same. And how about the cognitive enhancement? It says:

Quote:
"This implant establishes new connections between itself and different parts of the brain., Normal neurons are replaced with cybernetic duplicates. The benefits provided are capabilities at which electronic computers exceed the capabilities of human brainpower, such as spatial awareness, memory and processing speed."
Old 01-28-2019, 12:06 PM   #4
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Do the published rules specify one way or the other? .
The most relevent passage would appear to be Biotech p.42.

It says there under the "TL" header that bonuses with 2 different justifications do stack. It gives the specific example of a +1 to HT from Immune System Modifications from p.49 and another +1 HT from Lifespan and Self-Repair Modifications from p.50 and says those would stack to +2.

In the case of Brain mods from p.43 I would say that they would stack with the Brain Tissue grafts and they would also stack with the Cognitive Enhancement cyber from UT but not with the + to IQ possible from Neurovirus.

The first (germline gnetic engineering) is modifying how the brain works while the second and third (tissue graft and cyber)are adding more resources to the brain but the last (the neuroviruses) are trying to change how the brain works again and effectively trying to retrofit an existing brain to mimic the genetic mods seen in the first case.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:28 PM   #5
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
The most relevent passage would appear to be Biotech p.42.

It says there under the "TL" header that bonuses with 2 different justifications do stack. It gives the specific example of a +1 to HT from Immune System Modifications from p.49 and another +1 HT from Lifespan and Self-Repair Modifications from p.50 and says those would stack to +2.
This is under the heading "gengineered traits", so I would need to think about allowing a combination of the brain mods with the brain tissues... It might work, since each needs their own skill (bioengineering (genetic engineering) and bioengineering (tissue engineering))... as the cognitive enhancement cyber it may be another story (and it would probably need Engineer (Robotics)), but I'm not completely clear about it either...
Old 01-28-2019, 12:42 PM   #6
Fred Brackin

Quote:
the cognitive enhancement cyber it may be another story (and it would probably need Engineer (Robotics)), but I'm not completely clear about it either...
I would think Engineer(Cybernetics). (Robotics) would mostly be for a robot chassis. The "brain" part of a robot would be (Computers).
Old 01-28-2019, 12:59 PM   #7
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
I would think Engineer(Cybernetics). (Robotics) would mostly be for a robot chassis. The "brain" part of a robot would be (Computers).
The basic set book would think Engineer (Robotics): Designing robotics and cybernetics. Default: Mechanic (Robotics)-6.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:05 PM   #8
Fred Brackin

Quote:
The basic set book would think Engineer (Robotics): Designing robotics and cybernetics. Default: Mechanic (Robotics)-6.
Metal arms maybe but not the most siphisticated cyber brain mods possible.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:16 PM   #9
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Metal arms maybe but not the most siphisticated cyber brain mods possible.
Bioengineering (Biogadgets)
Old 01-29-2019, 02:34 PM   #10
Black Leviathan

My assumption would be not-cumulative,

For one that's a very fast advancement in one TL considering the next TL doesn't really have any IQ modification improvement.

It wouldn't make much sense from a commercial standpoint to choose unless there's some aspect of the earlier modification that involves greater risk or unless one procedure occludes the possibility of the other. If you could have both you would have both. Hence it makes more sense that the latter modification either includes the prior or precludes it.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote