Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 01-25-2014, 08:06 PM   #21
combatmedic
Banned

Default Re: Occult/New Age centers of Transhuman Space!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Has Bollywood taken over Hollywood's niche? Are there major Wiccan sites on the Moon? Has anyone off planet had a vision of Mary? Enquiring minds want to know!
I'm not sure I get the Bollywood reference.

As far as the rest goes...

I'm not sure what would constitute a "major Wiccan site." I wouldn't be surprised if there were Wiccans living off-world. How many? I have no clear idea. Has Wicca grown a lot in numbers of adherents, in THS?

I'd be surprised if the Blessed Virgin Mary had not appeared to someone off-planet by 2100 A.D., with multiple off-world colonies up and running. Surely there must be Christians in space?

I have to say that Marian apparitions do not really belong in this thread. Marian apparitions are not ''New Age.'' That is not to say that no New Age folks have ever witnessed these apparitions, just that the Virgin has appeared multiple times in the past, long before the 'New Age.' Nor is official recognition lacking for some of these appearances. I don't think the RCC is a 'New Age' religion.

The OP writes about scams and exploitation, but some of the things he's discussed are not scams, frauds, or hoaxes at all but deeply felt experiences within religious culture.

Perhaps a separate thread is needed to discuss religion in THS? Context seems lacking here, which could lead to unfortunate misinterpretations of the initial post.
I do not think Astro intends to denigrate anyone's faith or traditions.

Last edited by combatmedic; 01-25-2014 at 08:24 PM.
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:26 PM   #22
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Smith View Post
Conically Bollywood is the worldwide centre of the film industry, having long since overtaken Hollywood. Don't ask me which TS book this is in, I can't remember.

But what Hollywood or Bollywood has to do wth Occult or New Age stuff isn't clear to me.
Right, that's what was unclear to me, too.

Last edited by combatmedic; 01-25-2014 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:34 PM   #23
Keiko
Banned

Quote:
Conically Bollywood is the worldwide centre of the film industry, having long since overtaken Hollywood. Don't ask me which TS book this is in, I can't remember.

But what Hollywood or Bollywood has to do with Occult or New Age stuff isn't clear to me.
Hollywood is often popularly believed and depicted to be the home of many "New Age" practitioners and an area where the movements have large influence due to having many of the movers and shakers among their number.
Keiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:36 PM   #24
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
Hollywood is often popularly believed and depicted to be the home of many "New Age" practitioners and an area where the movements have large influence due to having many of the movers and shakers among their number.
Does Bollywood have a strong Hindu element?
Old 01-25-2014, 08:49 PM   #25
Keiko
Banned

I think that what Astromancer was suggesting might have happened since Bollywood has taken over the film industry in canon THS perhaps the "Hollyweird" element has become "Bollyweird".
Keiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:20 PM   #26
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
I'm not sure I get the Bollywood reference.
From about 1930 to the present Hollywood has been a major center of Occultism, New Religions, and the "New Age" (how do you make a paten pendding symbol?). I simply ask if Bollywood, the major center of Indian filmaking, had taken that role over.

Quote:

Has Wicca grown a lot in numbers of adherents, in THS?
Wiccans, being a group like RPGers, entirely drawn from the ranks of avid readers, can never be a large group. However, some estimates suggest they have a few tens of thousands of adherents.

Quote:
I'd be surprised if the Blessed Virgin Mary had not appeared to someone off-planet by 2100 A.D., with multiple off-world colonies up and running. Surely there must be Christians in space?

I have to say that Marian apparitions do not really belong in this thread. Marian apparitions are not ''New Age.'' That is not to say that no New Age folks have ever witnessed these apparitions, just that the Virgin has appeared multiple times in the past, long before the 'New Age.' Nor is official recognition lacking for some of these appearances. I don't think the RCC is a 'New Age' religion.
Folk religion and it's manifestations are seen as Occultish. Many forms of Occultism are based on nonstandard views of mainstream religions. And more than a few Catholic Priests see obcession with Marion Apparitions as an occultic movement insulting to the honnor of the Virgin Mother. Although they see those declare genuine as holy blessings.

The visitation of a Vatican investigative team to an isolated outpost to investigate a Marion Apparition should make a good adventure.

Quote:
Perhaps a separate thread is needed to discuss religion in THS? Context seems lacking here, which could lead to unfortunate misinterpretations of the initial post.
I do not think Astro intends to denigrate anyone's faith or traditions.
I'm not interested in denigrating anyone's Faith, both because that would be cruel and it would be pointless.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 01-26-2014 at 01:28 PM.
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:24 PM   #27
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
I think that what Astromancer was suggesting might have happened since Bollywood has taken over the film industry in canon THS perhaps the "Hollyweird" element has become "Bollyweird".
Yes, pretty much. Although the Weird in Hollyweird was a major local feature before Clara Bow made her last film or John Wayne made his first.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:06 PM   #28
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Today yes. In TS who knows, there's no statement in the sources. However moustaches are still in fashion, there's a section about the Bollywood Mouch somewhere.
In 2100, I imagine Bollywood is less influenced by Hinduism than by a bastardized form of the exotic Western religion Christianity.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:47 PM   #29
DaibhidC

Quote:
Why in a predominantly Hindu society would Christianity have a stronger influence on Bollywood by 2100?
By analogy with "exotic" Eastern religions (often misunderstood and misapplied) being popular in present-day Hollywood, I imagine.
DaibhidC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:04 PM   #30
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaibhidC View Post
By analogy with "exotic" Eastern religions (often misunderstood and misapplied) being popular in present-day Hollywood, I imagine.
Already have that. E.g. see how 'Christianity' is used as an essential mythological basis for Neon Genesis Evangelion.