Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-25-2017, 03:09 PM   #1161
CoyoteGestalt

Default Re: List Of your favorite Custom Perks

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
It's a re-skin of Accessory (music player)?

The difficulty with a lot of proposed perks that are based on media (and I'm assuming this is inspired by some sort of "background music" idea) is that they don't actually do anything when you think about them. They look or sound cool in the media presentation, but are useless as far as the character in the setting is concerned, and don't come across to seem cool to the *players* in the (non-visual) media of RPGs either.
I was in a (non-GURPS at the time) campaign where a PC had an ability like this, and it honestly led to some pretty interesting roleplaying. Telling the other players what music was playing was a way to express the character's mood, intentions, etc. without stating them explicitly in situations where that would have been out of character.
CoyoteGestalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:29 AM   #1162
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteGestalt View Post
I was in a (non-GURPS at the time) campaign where a PC had an ability like this, and it honestly led to some pretty interesting roleplaying. Telling the other players what music was playing was a way to express the character's mood, intentions, etc. without stating them explicitly in situations where that would have been out of character.
You could also do a limited form of precognition that manifests as background music that the characters must interpret before whatever it's predicting becomes obvious, but depending on how you do it, that could be too useful to be a Perk.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 03:55 PM   #1163
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

If the player gets to (is required to) say what's on the soundtrack at any particular time, and if the cut being played is really appropriate, it can lead to some memorable moments even though it never affect a die roll at all. Been there, enjoyed that.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:00 PM   #1164
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

If the player gets to (is required to) say what's on the soundtrack at any particular time, and if the cut being played is really appropriate, it can lead to some memorable moments even if it never affects a die roll at all. Been there, enjoyed that. I still think of that game whenever I hear Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer."
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:43 AM   #1165
The Benj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
If the player gets to (is required to) say what's on the soundtrack at any particular time, and if the cut being played is really appropriate, it can lead to some memorable moments even if it never affects a die roll at all. Been there, enjoyed that. I still think of that game whenever I hear Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer."
-3 to target the Fruit Cage (where the fruit is as sweet as can be).
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 05:51 PM   #1166
WaterAndWindSpirit

Gamer's Luck:

You always catch lucky breaks during games. A guild mate will run you through a quest series with an item so great he has been farming it for months and so rare he's convinced it's an urban legend, and on your first run, it will drop for you. If a random event with 1% chance of happening is needed for you to get an achievement, rest assured it will happen in short order. Your favorite tabletop character will often survive certain death one hit point short of death, you can go through a campaign of a turn-based strategy game known for being a meat grinder as far as your virtual soldiers are concerned with fatalities in the single digit with the option of having one save ever active and on a high difficulty setting with regularity. You often get pure lucky shots on enemy players in FPS games. You can gain four Legendary skins in a row from a loot box system where you gain a percent chance of gaining a skin after each win or loss, and upon winning a skin having your chance reduced to 2%, and without your chance of getting a skin ever raising over 15%. Bonus points if your Gamer's Luck benefits your friends/guild mates/team mates more than you.

But as soon as there is the potential to earn anything else than a fancy title on your gamer card arrives, your luck fizzles out, and you have to rely on your skills. Your luck only applies to games, so it won't work in real life.

For added fun, take this perk alongside Unluckiness or Cursed.

I have both this perk and Unluckiness in real life. I don't think my soldier fatalities across a single campaign in XCOM Enemy Unknown and XCOM Enemy Within ever rose to double digits, even on a blind Ironman run. Earlier today I got locked outside of my home because the key broke in half. It The half of the key fell out of the lock instead of getting stuck in it, and I knew people with a spare key whose numbers I could find online who could arrive within 2 hours so I had to borrow a laptop and a cellphone from a neighbor, so I don't think I'm quite Cursed, but that must rank at least Unluckiness.

Last edited by WaterAndWindSpirit; 03-31-2018 at 05:56 PM.
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:52 AM   #1167
Celti

Technological Charisma: You're familiar with all of the tricks of the trade when it comes to telepresence — you stare at the camera, not the screen, and know how to pitch your voice so that all the relevant tones carry even over plain copper telephone wire. You treat any telepresence medium as one step better for purposes of your Charisma bonus: you get your full bonus over two-dimensional audio/video, and half your bonus even over a low-definition link.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 02:45 AM   #1168
coronatiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric View Post
How would you model Natural Beauty - meaning you look best without any prep or make-up?
Quirk: You never benefit from the Makeup skill. [-1]
coronatiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:55 AM   #1169
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
… humans have (or can develop) a certain amount of tolerance for bad food and drink once their gut bacteria adapt. That's why tourists might suffer from diarrhea after drinking marginally sanitary tap-water or consuming dubious street foods, but the locals don't have any problems with it.

A Perk-level form of Reduced Consumption (Cast Iron Stomach) might be "tough digestion" which allows you to avoid such problems.
Seems like a good idea, so I clarified it a bit, and put it where it can be found again.

Costing it as a cut-down Reduced Consumption comes out at zero, but doing it as Resistant costs rather more, so a perk seems right overall.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:03 AM   #1170
TGLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronatiger View Post
Quirk: You never benefit from the Makeup skill. [-1]
No, the Makeup skill is the skill of Make-up artists, primarily to make people look like different people.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
house rules, perks